Is there any useable internal phone memory for my files

crunchcg

Reaction score
Just added a Droid X to our family yesterday. Have been using Droid Incredible for several months and I am accustomed to placing my 2 GB of My Music on the available 6 GB on internal phone storage and leaving my SD card for pics from camera.

I only see 1 drive on my computer when I attach the USB. Is this a diff with the Droid X versus the Incredible. The phone says there is about 6 GB available on the internal area but I can't seem to get access to it as a separate drive. Is there a special USB driver I need to install?

Hints please.

pool_shark

Reaction score
The Incredible gives you access to the internal storage, the DX does not unless you root.

proginski

Reaction score
Is it possible to access the internal memory via computer or only via phone file managers??

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
C

crunchcg

Reaction score
Could you explain "ADB" It sounds like it is part of the SDK pkg. Yet my Incredible shows this drive when it is attached to computer via USB/PDANET thru Explorer and I have not installed anything but apps on it.

Between this problem and my intermittent booting I am having second thoughts on my new choice.

Snow02

Reaction score
The incredible and the x are obviously not the same.

There are tons of adb tutorials. Yes, it comes as part of the android sdk.

Link

Snow02

Reaction score
Between this problem and my intermittent booting I am having second thoughts on my new choice.

Technically, the storage issue is not a problem as it is designed this way (though I agree they should have made part of it user accessible). I'm having a hard time believing you realistically need 5-8 GB for photos and videos all the time. You may want to look into a 32 GB card in place of the 16, or just offload pics more often.

The X is a great phone, and far superior to the incredible. I have found that flashing the 3.4.2 build from the team black hat app fixes the rebooting issue. If you don't want to go that route, verizon is aware of this problem and will exchange the phone for you, no problem. Though that's no guarantee the next one won't do the same.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Technically, the storage issue is not a problem as it is designed this way (though I agree they should have made part of it user accessible). I'm having a hard time believing you realistically need 5-8 GB for photos and videos all the time. You may want to look into a 32 GB card in place of the 16, or just offload pics more often.

The X is a great phone, and far superior to the incredible. I have found that flashing the 3.4.2 build from the team black hat app fixes the rebooting issue. If you don't want to go that route, verizon is aware of this problem and will exchange the phone for you, no problem. Though that's no guarantee the next one won't do the same.

Far superior is only a matter of opinion.
I have 47 TV episodes, about 10 movies, IDK how many mp3's, plus pics on my SD card. The movies alone take more than 8GB.

jmorton10

Reaction score
So do what I did & put in a 32 gig card.

I have 17 gigs of movies, backups etc on my card & still plenty of space left.

~John

pool_shark

Reaction score

~John

I already have a 32GB card, I was referring to the person that said they find it hard to believe you need 5-8GB all the time.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

~John

I already have a 32GB card, I was referring to the person that said they find it hard to believe you need 5-8GB all the time.
So, what you are saying then, is that you watch all 47 episodes and about 10 movies daily, while also listening to your music? Wow...thats impressive...:icon_eek:

Personally, I have 10 movies, all less than 500mb in filesize, cause to have them any larger is a complete waste since you are watching them on a 4.3" screen...and please, before anyone does, dont say you have "full on Blu Ray rips"...cause if you do, you are slightly retarded...

I also have around 5gb of music...mainly 5 custom albums I have created on my PC, tagged accordingly by me, that each contain around 35-125 individual songs...why so few? Simple, there is only so often in a day when I can listen to music...that, and well, Pandora FTW!

16gb of additional storage for most people is plenty...especially when you consider if they are smart, they are backing the pix up to a hard drive somewhere on their PC occasionally...God knows SD cards fail at a faster rate than a mechanical hard drive..which means pulling data off and opening storage space every so often...

pool_shark

Reaction score

~John

So, what you are saying then, is that you watch all 47 episodes and about 10 movies daily, while also listening to your music? Wow...thats impressive...:icon_eek:

Personally, I have 10 movies, all less than 500mb in filesize, cause to have them any larger is a complete waste since you are watching them on a 4.3" screen...and please, before anyone does, dont say you have "full on Blu Ray rips"...cause if you do, you are slightly retarded...

I also have around 5gb of music...mainly 5 custom albums I have created on my PC, tagged accordingly by me, that each contain around 35-125 individual songs...why so few? Simple, there is only so often in a day when I can listen to music...that, and well, Pandora FTW!

16gb of additional storage for most people is plenty...especially when you consider if they are smart, they are backing the pix up to a hard drive somewhere on their PC occasionally...God knows SD cards fail at a faster rate than a mechanical hard drive..which means pulling data off and opening storage space every so often...

No I don't watch them daily but I also can't tell the future. I don't know which one I'll want to watch on any given day so it would be retarded of me to keep removing them and putting them back everyday when I have room to keep them.

Snow02

Reaction score
That's why I use playon. I have anytime access to my entire media collection.

DroidToro

Reaction score
It's nice how some people who have no answer instead resort to telling you why what you want is wrong. They somehow can't get their hands around the fact that not everyone is like them. We all have different wants and needs.

I have a 32gb card in mine as well and have about 6gb left. I also would like an easy way to use the internal storage. The only way i can think of using it such that apps will see the content is to format your sdcard with a filesystem that supports soft links. Not sure if this is possible but without something like that, I think most, if not all apps will not see content.

Liberated Droid X