Is there an app to take a picture of yourself?

hgrimberg

Reaction score
I am trying to take myself a passport photo with my phone's camera. What I am trying to do is to find an app that allows me to plug the phone via usb, then place the phone somewhere stable like on a sort of tripod and then watch myself on my laptop's screen and just touch a key on my laptop and trigger the camera button on my phone. It's simple but so far I didn't find one single app on the market that can do this simple task.

Last edited:

maxwellag

Reaction score
There is always the option to make your own app, if you don't know how you can ask a friend or pay someone. Also if you have it rooted there has to be some way.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Wow, I thought there wasnt an app to remote control your phone like Mymobiler in WINDOWS MOBILE. There was adb but it was so complicated.
Which one is betrer, webkey or Lazydroid?
(yes, of course I am rooted)

OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
I just tried both, webkey and Lazydroid, and none of them work as a remote viewer for the camera. On webkey, you click on the camera and all you see is a black screen but nothing there even though is working on the phone itself.

seripth

Reaction score
I just played around with webkey a little bit. I see what you mean about the remote viewing...I just don't think the refresh is high enough to handle that. You can still take pictures on the phone from inside the browser, and then adjust the angle. Might be more work than you wanted to do, but I think we jumped that hurdle a while back. Even if the screen in webkey is completely black, if you put your mouse where the shutter button is and click it should still take the picture.

OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
I just played around with webkey a little bit. I see what you mean about the remote viewing...I just don't think the refresh is high enough to handle that. You can still take pictures on the phone from inside the browser, and then adjust the angle. Might be more work than you wanted to do, but I think we jumped that hurdle a while back. Even if the screen in webkey is completely black, if you put your mouse where the shutter button is and click it should still take the picture.

You mean to take blind photos from inside the browser up to the moment when I find one that I like? This method could make me take 100 photos. I can't believe nobody came up with this idea for an app yet. It is such a simple task.

seripth

Reaction score
You mean to take blind photos from inside the browser up to the moment when I find one that I like? This method could make me take 100 photos. I can't believe nobody came up with this idea for an app yet. It is such a simple task.

That was my original idea. The I went to google and searched 'how to use android phone as webcam to take pictures' and came up with the app ipWebcam

This looks like it will do what you want. Well, aside from being plugged in via usb to the computer. This app allows you to do it wirelessly from your browser. I hope it helps.

edit: If you use chrome as your browser, you should be able to just view the stream in it without any other viewers or plug-ins needed...at least I was.

Last edited:
OP
hgrimberg

hgrimberg

Reaction score
WOW!!!! This is a great app! Thank you! It really works! Now, I'll have to buy a tripod, haha.