Is there a way to remove words that your keyboard auto-suggests?

JoeJxn

Reaction score
Idk if this should go here or the Droid forum but I was wondering if there's a way to take out certain words that my keyboard app (Smart Keyboard Pro) suggests?

I want to remove the word "thongs" from it's suggestion dictionary.

I hate texting and go to put "things" or "think" and it puts "thongs".

Easy solution is to be more accurate when typing, but I don't want to.

Anyway to do this?

missrachel

Reaction score
Yes! Go to Settings > Language & Keyboard > User Dictionary. Hold the word you want to delete/edit and a pop up menu will appear! :)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes! Go to Settings > Language & Keyboard > User Dictionary. Hold the word you want to delete/edit and a pop up menu will appear! :)

So far i've only managed to be able to delete the words i've individually added to the user dictionary. They want to remove a word from the default dictionary on the phone.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Subscribing to this thread...

some of the craziest things pop up when I try to type a common word. Of course I can't think of a single one right now but do hope someone has a solution to editing the 'regular' dictionary and not just the user-dictionary.

OP
JoeJxn

JoeJxn

Reaction score

So far i've only managed to be able to delete the words i've individually added to the user dictionary. They want to remove a word from the default dictionary on the phone.

Exactly. I hope there's a way to do this

loudlibrarian

Reaction score
I know how to do this, if you use Swype.

Idk if this should go here or the Droid forum but I was wondering if there's a way to take out certain words that my keyboard app (Smart Keyboard Pro) suggests?

I want to remove the word "thongs" from it's suggestion dictionary.

I hate texting and go to put "things" or "think" and it puts "thongs".

Easy solution is to be more accurate when typing, but I don't want to.

Anyway to do this?

I use Swype and I kept having a similar problem. Every time I typed the word "and" it would choose the word "abd." I don't know what that word means or even how to pronounce it! It seems like it would be an abbreviation for something. I mainly wish the auto-choose engine had an algorithm for ranking the common factor of words. As in your case, plenty of people may use the word "thongs" but I'm sure the words "things" and "think" are used much more commonly... or at least I hope so!

Anyway, if you use Swype, it's easy to delete a word in the default dictionary, and I hope this technique will work in the Smart Keyboard Pro. Simply type the word, and in the suggested words at the top, hold your finger on the word you want to delete. It will give you a prompt and you can choose yes or no. If you want to re-add the word (maybe you will open a home business selling thongs for charity?) just type the word one character at a time and when it shows at the top, you will have to choose to add it to the dictionary.

I got this information from the Swype help page. If this doesn't work for SKP, maybe they will have a help page with suggestions for how you can do it in their product.

Good luck!