Is the MAXX worth it, compared to the original Razr??

Ahom314

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking about getting the new Razr Maxx, BUT this will be my first smartphone ever ( I know... sad me =[ .. )

I've been hearing about the AMAZING battery life.. and that's very compelling.. BUT my question is if the MAXX is worth it based on only a 2GB / month data plan?

I feel as that the battery life even though amazing, would go wasted due to the limited data and therefore I should just get the original RAZR because even with a ton of battery life... I still won't be able to do much.

Is 2Gb enough?

Should I just use Wifi most of the time?

If anyone with a 2GB limited data plan can chime in and give their opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks !

HookEmHornsUT

Reaction score
I have the original Razr and the battery is fine. I run 12 hour work days using email and internet all day. As for the 2 gig plan as long as your not watching videos or streaming music all the time it will be plenty. This is the best phone on Verizon in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

DocsDad

Reaction score
I have an unlimited plan but my 2 cents... WAY worth it.

I would leave your data plan out of the equation. Also, I am assuming the extra cost of the Maxx does not bother you, . Wifi is unlimited, music, games, news apps and even texting/email with the display on for extended periods of time all can be low data but high battery consumption. I had the Razr and traded it in for the Maxx. Loved the Razr. Love the Maxx that much more.

But like HookEmHornsUT stated. You can get great battery life with a razr depending on how you use it.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is 2Gb enough?

Should I just use Wifi most of the time?

If anyone with a 2GB limited data plan can chime in and give their opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks !

Well, I have unlimited data but right now I'm at 1.9GB used. If you have WIFI available at any time I strongly suggest you take advantage of that data connection. Unless you plan to be surfing all day or playing back to back videos the RAZR battery is acceptable. It runs all day for me. One thing thing that should be know is that you should plug into power at every opportunity to top off the battery. This will assure you have sufficient power for extended periods of time away from power. I have a navigation dock, and there's USB ports on my office PC so other than when I'm out and away from the car, there's always power available. If you carry the tiny power adapter with you, it becomes a complete non-issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a family plan now. 3 smartphones on it. One unlimited, one with 4GB and one with 2GB. The 2GB one is a 3G only phone that rarely gets used.

My unlimited was at 7GB last month. That included Youtube, Netflix, browsing, network games like Words with Friends, Tap a Talk apps. This was all on 4G. My other 4G phone went over 4GB. I caught it and stopped using data on it at 4.6GB. Same use for both phones. At one point other ppl was using my phones. I knew what they were using, just dont know how long. Me being the only one using the 4GB phone this month its at 600MB. My cycle resets on the 25th.

I honestly dont think 2GB is enough. I barely use my phone during the day and I'm at 600MB. No Netflix yet and very lil Youtube. I so hope when ICS comes to the RAZR and Maxx that the data usage control feature is included. Thats another thing I liked about ICS.

I also feel the RAZR battery is fine, but if you dont have either the RAZR or Maxx...I would get the Maxx at this point in time. I also think you are on the right track with your thinking: even with that massive battery....you wont be able to take advantage of it for data use on 2GB. 4GB is a maybe.

benz0

Reaction score
If you use your phone as much as I do, like; YouTube, Netflix, games, downloading, streaming, etc... and like to keep 4g on all day (still in aww!), get the MAXX!!! If you are a light duty user, checking email, Fbook, txt, etc... get the Razr, Like Jroc said, if ya haven't own both, probably bette off starting with the maxx. Regular Razr couldn't do it for me, i was constantly on the charger and had to toggle 4g/3g, while using 3g 90% of the time. But it really does depends of you, good luck with ya choice.

max62025

Reaction score
In short - the Maxx is absolutely worth it. No question.

Smoked in from my Droid RAZR MAXX

Hail

Reaction score
I have used owned both and still have the Maxx.... Gotta live this phone!!!! It's a freggin monster!!!! I also have a unlimited data plan, and hardly ever see 2g and a power user at that. It all depends if u want to use app killers etc.... I know you are new so let me tell you what these app killers do..... they cut off open apps and data..... Don't get me wrong they are nice if you are not someone that can't seem to turn off apps that use data ..... The Maxx is a powerhouse, and the OR is exact phone just a smaller battery ..... If you are near a charger get a Razr if not get a Maxx.... and you are new so once you go "smart" you never go back!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using DroidForums