Is the HTC Thunderbolt that bad??

Googleaddict

Reaction score
+1 about the battery sub forum. My brother has a TB and out of the box that thing is the biggest battery hog I've ever seen in a phone. It took a few weeks but we got it to where it is actually usable. Yes I realize root/custom rom will make it fly with great battery life but he is not tech savvy and he has fears about warranty so rooting is out of the question. For the average user why should you HAVE to heavily modify your phone to make it run decent?
Exactly.. This thing is terrible.. I'm out with my friend who has an atrix.. In 1.5 hours his phone has lost 10 percent.. I've last 40.. Same type of usage.. I hate this thing

I really don't see how some people have such battery life... Since I have had this phone I have had a minimum of 12 hours use once I rooted I was able to get about 16 hours and I found 2 extra batteries on amazon for 20 bucks so i can switch out batteries on the fly and that's only for if I plan on going out really late on a Friday night. Today for example I have used my phone for just about everything and I used it extremely heavily and still got about 12 hours of battery life which is about the same as my friends droid x which is 3g only! So all in all I would say that battery life is completely dependent on the user that just my. 02

Sent from my bamf'd bolt!

Are you running stock ? Or on a custom Rom?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
F

FordStang

Reaction score
So being that all signs point to an August 4th release, would I be crazy if i purchased the tbolt now? How is the camera and video on the tbolt???

August 4th = bionic of course

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
So being that all signs point to an August 4th release, would I be crazy if i purchased the tbolt now? How is the camera and video on the tbolt???

August 4th = bionic of course

Definitely will be better than on bionic. Motorola doesn't really make great cameras. Thunderbolt takes amazing pictures. I have a program for hdr pictures, wow! Motorola cameras are washed out.

I really wanted the bionic as well but I'm happy with my thunderbolt. I'd feel bad changing something that's not broken.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
+1 about the battery sub forum. My brother has a TB and out of the box that thing is the biggest battery hog I've ever seen in a phone. It took a few weeks but we got it to where it is actually usable. Yes I realize root/custom rom will make it fly with great battery life but he is not tech savvy and he has fears about warranty so rooting is out of the question. For the average user why should you HAVE to heavily modify your phone to make it run decent?
Exactly.. This thing is terrible.. I'm out with my friend who has an atrix.. In 1.5 hours his phone has lost 10 percent.. I've last 40.. Same type of usage.. I hate this thing

I really don't see how some people have such battery life... Since I have had this phone I have had a minimum of 12 hours use once I rooted I was able to get about 16 hours and I found 2 extra batteries on amazon for 20 bucks so i can switch out batteries on the fly and that's only for if I plan on going out really late on a Friday night. Today for example I have used my phone for just about everything and I used it extremely heavily and still got about 12 hours of battery life which is about the same as my friends droid x which is 3g only! So all in all I would say that battery life is completely dependent on the user that just my. 02

Sent from my bamf'd bolt!

I dunno. Im thinking the phone has an inefficient or poorly coded firmware that controls the radio because sometimes my battery is tolerable, and other times it drains within a few hours. I barely have anything on my phone.. no widgets, syncing, or apps that eat a lot of juice.

Today we were in Arrowhead,CA which is about 5000ft in elevation and the phone was dead within 3 hours. Total screen on time was 30 mins. There was a 3G signal up on the mountain with two bars. The Atrix had no problem working at altitude whereas my TB was down for the count for the whole outing (I forgot my 3 spare batteries at home)... :(

EDIT: Now Im back home in San Diego and the phone has only lost 30 percent in 5 hours. Battery usage is totally schitzo on this thing.

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
DLNA lets you stream media over WiFi to other DLNA comparable hardware, such as computers and TVs.

If it tickled my fancy I could've said "let me Google that for you" lol, nah I don't care, its no prob haha.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Where do u get on dlna. How do u use it. I can't find it on my app drawer I had it on my dx.

Reaction score
I love how fast this phone is, however, battery life is absolutely terrible l, even with lots of tweaks and mods and kernels, nothing will solve this problem. In my opinion you shouldn't buy it.

sent from a 1.5ghz-Cyanogen 'Bolt

JRParsons

Reaction score
All in all I love my tbolt, but I agree with a lot of the prior posts, the battery will sometimes last me 15–16 hours other times no more than 5. One thing I never see mentioned is how fast it charges on the stock charger. 10% to 100% in less than an hour. So if you can throw it on a charger for a few minutes in the middle of the day you should get a full day out of it. Or alternatively, switch it to 3G only and you may get 2 days (my wife doesn't use 4G at all and gets about 2 days on a charge, to be fair, she has almost no apps on her phone.)
The phone and LTE are super fast, I would not go back to 3G. I think the Tbolt vs. Bionic will favor the Bionic, mostly because it is being released about 9 months after the tbolt, which is a really long time when it comes to technology. How important is a duel core processor. If you can't tell the difference, then it really comes down to motoblur vs. Sense. And Android 2.2 vs 2.3 And a few other differences.

I was one of the unlucky ones who had multiple reboots, but that seems to be fixed since the last OTA. If you intend to root, the argument most likely turns in favor of the Tbolt. But that will probably change when the Bionic has been on the market for a while. But by then, there will be another "latest and greatest" that everyone will be talking about.
IMO if you always wait for the next best technology you would still have a Grey Motorolla flip phone because there is always something better just around the corner.

Sent from my Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator

armeddroid

Reaction score
The TB is amateurish and unpolished. A guy at work couldn't take it anymore, he ditched it for an iPhone...that thing is so smooth and so well thought out.

Amateurish and unpolished?
Explain this.
If your talking OTB exp with a lemon phone, then I can see your POV.
The ones that are fine, how would you apply these 2 descriptions?
Because in that sense, ALL Android phones are Amateurish and Unpolished.
It has the latest SENSE save 3.0 and it already blows out TWiz and MBlur unless the recent versions of these 2 skins have improved. Def not the CHARGE, i messed with the Charge for an hour and i cant stand the lag on it. And i had the Nexus 2 from Sprint, and that lagged as well too. After I rooted it, it was great BUT they have network problems anyway so ended up getting an EVO 3D.
Dx2, i messed with it but the same as before, MBLur is a nuisance on the DX2. It hogs mad resources.
The only thing TBOLT hogs is battery. Now for those who had issues, the 73MB update should solve a great deal of issues.
Proximity Sensor
GPS
Reboots
Spotty 4G etc etc.
The Tbolt is an excellent phone. So far it IS the best phone VZ has to offer. Thas my opinion only of course.

armeddroid

Reaction score
The only thing TBOLT hogs is battery.

That's a pretty big "only thing" since it completely ruins the phone experience.

Ruins the phone experience?
Can you call, can you text, internet browsing, play music, inspect and edit spreadsheets, make measurements, find locations, FB, G+ all that stuff is ruined because the BATTERY does not last 12 hrs??
Lmao. ok.

Better come up with a better argument then that would classify the TBOLT being "THAT BAD" according the OP.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
The only thing TBOLT hogs is battery.

That's a pretty big "only thing" since it completely ruins the phone experience.

Can you call, can you text, internet browsing, play music, inspect and edit spreadsheets, make measurements, find locations, FB, G+ all that stuff is ruined because the BATTERY does not last 12 hrs??
Lmao. ok.

Better come up with a better argument then that would classify the TBOLT being "THAT BAD" according the OP.

Well you can't call, text, browse, play music, edit spreadsheets, make measurements, find locations, FB, and G+ if your out of battery.

So i'd day it'd ruin the experience for many, including me.

alboboy10

Reaction score
With the 1700 battery my phone went from 7 am to 2 am with 25% left yesterday. And I was using it in this forum, about two hours of screen on maybe more, gps and navigation. The only problem can be 4g, it drains battery I noticed even after turning it off.

armeddroid

Reaction score

Lmao. ok.

Well you can't call, text, browse, play music, edit spreadsheets, make measurements, find locations, FB, and G+ if your out of battery.

So i'd day it'd ruin the experience for many, including me.

LOL! Do you even pay attn what you write?
So every phone user's exp is ruined once their battery runs out??
Geez people, think before you post.
And i am not trying to insult anyone but cmon.

If your phone was one of the 10K of the 250k that was shipped on the first week and was having issues as the ones mentioned in my post earlier, THEN you have a reason to say.... it was ruined. That makes sense.
But if your phone was working and your complaint was the battery being the reason why your phone exp was RUINED?
Then you dont need a smartphone. Simple.