Is The Droid X Outdated?

music_man185

Reaction score
i'm getting ready to get a smartphone through my local regional carrier. they are a little behind on phones. the ones i'm looking at are the droid x, droid pro, htc merge and htc desire. i'm coming from a basic phone, so any of these will be an upgrade to me. but since i'm going to be stuck with an already old phone for the next 2 years, i want to get the best one i can. i kind of have my eye on the droid x, but its one of the oldest, if not the oldest in the lineup. so my question is, how does the old droid x compare to todays standards and is it outdated? and any feedback on the other phones mentioned?

rayr0d

Reaction score
i'm getting ready to get a smartphone through my local regional carrier. they are a little behind on phones. the ones i'm looking at are the droid x, droid pro, htc merge and htc desire. i'm coming from a basic phone, so any of these will be an upgrade to me. but since i'm going to be stuck with an already old phone for the next 2 years, i want to get the best one i can. i kind of have my eye on the droid x, but its one of the oldest, if not the oldest in the lineup. so my question is, how does the old droid x compare to todays standards and is it outdated? and any feedback on the other phones mentioned?

You can't go wrong with a Droid X - I still use it as one of my demo handsets - As far as outdated, if you would consider that 4G LTE has arrived, then yes - but in most cases, the Droid X is still better than some of the current smartphones in Verizon's line up.

I hate to steer anyone towards a device because at the end its the user that will be living with that choice, but in my opinion - the Droid X is your best choice - You can update the Droid x to Gingerbread so it not behind at all.

At the end its for you to decide and whatever your choose, you will be fine! Good Luck!

Insidious

Reaction score
In terms of whether its a good phone or not, its a great phone that will do everything you want. But in terms of some hardware it can be considered a little outdated but honestly its still a fast sucker!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
M

music_man185

Reaction score
thanks for the help!

i live in a small town in the mountains. so 4g isn't really an issue for me at this point. it will probably be a long time before 4g is available in my area.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1 Droid x is the way to go. If I had the choose with all the phones out right now I would still get the X.

FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
thanks for the help!

i live in a small town in the mountains. so 4g isn't really an issue for me at this point. it will probably be a long time before 4g is available in my area.

Droid X can be had pre-owned for $80 from cowboom, I would not be tied to Verizon for two years for any device. You can't go wrong with an X IMO.

OP
M

music_man185

Reaction score
i'm also looking at the galaxy s. how would you guys rate the droid x against the galaxy s?

i had a samsung omnia years ago, and did not like it. it was buggy and the screen was very unresponsive. not sure if samsungs have gotten better since the omnia.

Last edited:

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hell yea! I'm still rocking the X till next week. I'm going to store it away in a drawer somewhere that nobody can touch it just in case my new rezound breaks. The X has the large screen and the power to do anything a normal person needs it to do.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
i'm also looking at the galaxy s. how would you guys rate the droid x against the galaxy s?

i had a samsung omnia years ago, and did not like it. it was buggy and the screen was very unresponsive. not sure if samsungs have gotten better since the omnia.

Good device, not on Verizon (if this is your carrier of choice).

The omnia was a windows mobile device that did not have a capacitive screen...blech!

OP
M

music_man185

Reaction score
i'm on verizon now, but getting ready to switch to a local regional carrier (carolina west wireless) this week. they offer the galaxy s and the droid x.

i went to the store and played with the galaxy today. the screen is insanely clear! it was very impressive. they didn't have a droid x in stock for me to play with side by side. so i'm still not sure on which way to go.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
The Droid X was the best phone of its time. I still have one. I am going to upgrade to a Nexus but the DX served me well. Mine is still as smooth as ever getting great battery life too.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I like my X but given those two choices I would go with the galaxy..locked bootloader on the X is a drag.

noisyKricket

Reaction score
The DX is a great phone. I picked up a used one for my wife and I almost didn't give it to her lol. I spent the first couple days researching how to root it and what not. The locked boot loader is annoying but its fairly easy to get around it now (if you're even interested in rooting your phone).

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The DX is a great phone. I picked up a used one for my wife and I almost didn't give it to her lol. I spent the first couple days researching how to root it and what not. The locked boot loader is annoying but its fairly easy to get around it now (if you're even interested in rooting your phone).

Myself being a kernel developer it is unacceptable as I can't do my thing so to speak.