Is motorola pissing anybody else off?

spunker88

Reaction score
This is what happens with technology. I remember when I bought my Core 2 Duo laptop it was top of the line. Fast forward a few years and now there are Core i5, i7 processors that blow it out of the water, but I'm still using it since it meets my needs. The only problem I see here is ROM developer fragmentation due to so many devices being out there. It's too bad phones weren't like computers where you could just upgrade the OS yourself.

onsted

Reaction score
I don't feel "abused" by Moto's quick releases, but I _do_ worry that this blitzkrieg of new phones, all with slightly different "guts," means atttention to ANY one phone's format will suffer. Hey, things move forward; I get it. I just hope there's enough software commonality between 'em so updating doesn't become haphazard - or absent - because of too many subplatforms. Seems a single 1.2gHz firmware platform could support three form factors and a 4G/3G radio option. Sure would make bug fixes more efficient!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's sickening. it's like when i bought my 2008 subaru wrx (first year of the third generation mind you!) with 224 hp, only to have subaru put out a 265 hp wrx THE FOLLOWING YEAR. Talk about a slap to the face. why would you screw over the people who put bread on your table? wheres the customer appreciation? new features based on what customers want is NOT customer appreciation, it's marketing. it's almost like demanding more bread. i have a suspicion (i'm cynical, so it's probably not true) that motorola released the d3 with 3g and only 512 megs of ram (leaves much to be desired) to purposefully skimp the customer and make the d4 seem that much better so more people would be inclined to buy it. hell, they probably planned the d3 around the release of the d4! (rant over) I'm glad my d3 was a replacement for my d2g...

its more like if u got the car in January and by June of the same model year they did that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
its more like if u got the car in January and by June of the same model year they did that

actually i grabbed my car in feb of 08 and got screwed when fall came. it's one thing if i grabbed an 07 and then the 08 came out with more power.. because thats a generation change. it makes sense the new gen is more powerful and what not. but the 2008 was the first year of the third gen imprezas. in 2009, the 265 hp version came out, and the 224 hp version became the 2.5gt, effectively lowering my car's value by thousands. they couldnt even let us enjoy the damn car for a little bit? lol. maybe dropped the 265 hp version in '10 instead? it's a good thing i traded that car in for my 05 leggy gt. muuuch better car :D

Fr33dom

Reaction score
There is lots of false equivalency here. This isn't the same thing as something being out of date a year or two later, we've all come to expect that. I wouldn't mind if I had to wait until later this year for LTE, but to release the D3 and then a few months later release the D4 with LTE is just disrespectful.

I personally don't care about having the newest phone on the block, the keyboard and new processor were good enough for now. But one of the things on my wish list that I gave up on because the D3 came without it was LTE. I was so tired of my old slow phone and figured they wouldn't be making a keyboard phone with LTE for at least a year.

Their announcement of the D4 with LTE so close to having released the D3 without LTE has made suckers out of all of us who got the D3. That will teach me to buy Moto phones--perhaps to buy any phone within a year of its manufacture. It just doesn't appear to be in our best interest.

I'm not normally much on brand loyalty, but because of the D1's solid build quality and the D3's upgraded keyboard, I was actually starting to be loyal to the brand. This has reminded me of why I'm not into brand loyalty.

doogald

Reaction score
Yeah... I'm just a little..... disappointed. Is all. And since Google owns them now, I mean how ironic is it that they still pump out phones with locked bootloaders! And that my friends is why I am an HTC kinda Guy.

Google does not own Motorola Mobility yet. The transaction has not received all anti-trust approval and, in fact, Google could back out at any time.

The Razr will be available in Europe (or non-US) with an unlocked bootloader. It seems that it's the carriers who are insisting on the phones being locked down, not Moto.

I had an HTC Eris and it had nowhere near the build quality of the D3. Many, many people had broken trackballs, the radio was crappy and could not hold a signal, and you had to be careful not to hold it wrong, like an iPhone. After rooting it I came to love the thing to death, but it's nowhere near as good as the D3. All I read about the DInc2 included that it also had poor reception issues - which is one of the reasons why I bought a D3. (That and the dual-core processor - it seemed more future-proof.)

Don't get me entirely wrong, I *mostly* like Moto. I like a lot of the stuff they do. The Galaxy Nexus is a close shot but I hear it's not using Gorilla Glass. That's a problem there...

It may not be the brand Gorilla Glass from Corning, but I bet that it will surely be some sort of similar tough, scratch resistant glass. It may be that Corning is not able to manufacture curved Gorilla Glass at enough volume to meet demand for the Nexus as well. I'm sure that it's something like Gorilla Glass, though.

I suppose that everybody is entitled to be angry, or upset, or disappointed, but that just seems like wasted emotion to me. Samsung comes out with a high-end LTE phone (the Charge) and within months there is a Nexus (closer than the D4 to the D3, that's for sure)? HTC comes is supposedly already talking about the big phone for early 2012 and the Rezound isn't even out yet. They will all be doing this, and should be doing this. For most of us, you get a phone, get the best one that meets your needs, and stop worrying about new phones until it's time to upgrade yours. That seems a lot healthier than getting angry over a company trying to make as much money as possible. It helps nobody for Motorola to put out a phone that gets out-done by a competitor and then wait months to release a better phone, rather than putting out that better phone as soon as it's ready.

I have no idea if the D3 will get ICS, but it seems likely that it will. It has the same OMAP CPU and display as the Bionic (and the same display resolution as the Razr), so why wouldn't Moto put out a build for the D3? But, even if it never gets an official build, if you really want ICS I am sure that somebody will have a custom ROM running ICS at some point, and, really, what's wrong with a D3 running Gingerbread? It's not like the phone sucks with GB. There are some cool usability features of ICS, but who knows if it will actually be better until it's actually released? And who knows if Moto will "blur" it anyway?

Anyway, you can be pissed and negative or happy that you have a great phone that does everything you need and know that you'll be upgrading to the next best thing five or six months before the D4 buyers will. And, if you needed a world phone, it appears that you would have been out of luck anyway, as the rumors suggest that this is not a world phone. (It seems weird that it ever will be, actually - who wants to manage two SIM cards?)

As somebody who had a Bionic for two weeks that kept dropping data randomly and draining battery way too fast, I think that LTE is vastly overrated right now anyway.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
actually i grabbed my car in feb of 08 and got screwed when fall came. it's one thing if i grabbed an 07 and then the 08 came out with more power.. because thats a generation change. it makes sense the new gen is more powerful and what not. but the 2008 was the first year of the third gen imprezas. in 2009, the 265 hp version came out, and the 224 hp version became the 2.5gt, effectively lowering my car's value by thousands. they couldnt even let us enjoy the damn car for a little bit? lol. maybe dropped the 265 hp version in '10 instead? it's a good thing i traded that car in for my 05 leggy gt. muuuch better car :D

never buy a motorola or Subaru.... check

Graymayre

Reaction score
None of this changes the fact that the Motorola design is rock solid with a radio that has never been beat. Even back in the day with the premier of EV-DO, Motorola has held better signal than any other brand of phone. Yes, it gives me a little pang when I hear about the RAZR with all of its "better" features. This does not stop me from appreciating everything about my bionic. Of my list of desired features, this one met every one except the physical keyboard, which I could do without because I can get a defender series otterbox with it.
Everything down to the word "Bionic" makes this an impressive phone that even after the RAZR comes out I can still brag about and show off as a "same line" series phone. All in all, I definitely prefer the removable battery. It means I can upgrade it if I want, swap it if I want, replace it if it goes bad, and even just air it out if it gets too hot. If I wanted an enclosed battery I had to pay $200 to replace when it went bad, I would have gotten an iPhone.
Thank you.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

OP
norcal1900

norcal1900

Reaction score
it Happens
Just like laptops, and computers, you get top of line one day, and the next they are out dated. it's called life get used to it.

Believe me I've experienced my fair share of life and I am use to it thank you.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm confused why everyone takes such offense to this and is up in arms over progress. Is there some sort of needed satisfaction to have the "latest and greatest"? My D1 keeps me perfectly content and surely isn't as powerful as a D3, Bionic, ect.

Technology is advancing at an unbelievable rate. I, for one, would rather see the advancement rather than having manufacturers sitting on old technology. And let's face it, they're all out to make a profit. If they believe they can sell two or hell even three relatively similar phones (with a minor upgrade or two respectively), of course they're going to do it.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I'm confused why everyone takes such offense to this and is up in arms over progress. Is there some sort of needed satisfaction to have the "latest and greatest"? My D1 keeps me perfectly content and surely isn't as powerful as a D3, Bionic, ect.

Technology is advancing at an unbelievable rate. I, for one, would rather see the advancement rather than having manufacturers sitting on old technology. And let's face it, they're all out to make a profit. If they believe they can sell two or hell even three relatively similar phones (with a minor upgrade or two respectively), of course they're going to do it.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

If you're still sitting on an OG Droid then you might just have a different perspective than had you bought a new D3. Sure, we all would like technology to advance at a break neck pace, but it hasn't really. There isn't an ounce of technology in any of these new phones that didn't exist well before the D3 came out. Go back to the comments when it was discovered that the D3 wouldn't have LTE for example.

This isn't about having the latest and greatest--at least not for me. I'm glad to see a Droid with a keyboard and LTE. I just think Moto was responsible for telling us that they would have an LTE version available so quickly.

I think those with Droid Bionic's (D-Binc's?) pining over the RAZR might be changing their mind after the first few of them prove to be a bit weak. I put no faith in the Kevlar making it strong enough to sustain the strain induced in the average pocket. Stopping a bullet is one thing--and it takes several layers to do that. Surviving consistent bending and twisting is another matter entirely. But that's just my guess so take it with a grain of salt.

9wire

Reaction score
I don't believe for a minute the d4 wasn't at the very least on the drawing board when the d3 was released, maybe even in testing.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ndoren

Reaction score
I'd be fine with the constant flow of new Motorola phones, if only they had one with my three simple requirements:
1) 4G LTE
2) Physical Keyboard
3) Removable battery

I don't care about the style, screen size, etc. I don't even care about ICS or RAM or webtop. Yet I must still be too picky with these three simple requirements. Razr? Nope. Droid4? Nope. I'm guessing the next 5 phones won't have a removable battery.

OP
norcal1900

norcal1900

Reaction score
If you're still sitting on an OG Droid then you might just have a different perspective than had you bought a new D3. Sure, we all would like technology to advance at a break neck pace, but it hasn't really. There isn't an ounce of technology in any of these new phones that didn't exist well before the D3 came out. Go back to the comments when it was discovered that the D3 wouldn't have LTE for example.

This isn't about having the latest and greatest--at least not for me. I'm glad to see a Droid with a keyboard and LTE. I just think Moto was responsible for telling us that they would have an LTE version available so quickly.

I think those with Droid Bionic's (D-Binc's?) pining over the RAZR might be changing their mind after the first few of them prove to be a bit weak. I put no faith in the Kevlar making it strong enough to sustain the strain induced in the average pocket. Stopping a bullet is one thing--and it takes several layers to do that. Surviving consistent bending and twisting is another matter entirely. But that's just my guess so take it with a grain of salt.

That's exactly where I'm coming from