Is it possible to upgrade the Android OS?

mike

Reaction score
I'm used to upgrading the OS on my Blackberry via the Desktop client. Is there/will there be a similar way to upgrade the OS on the Droid when a newer version of Android is released?

mjs31

Reaction score
I'm used to upgrading the OS on my Blackberry via the Desktop client. Is there/will there be a similar way to upgrade the OS on the Droid when a newer version of Android is released?

I would imagine so. I don't know for sure, but technically speaking, this OS should be easily upgradeable.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Yes, updates are done OTA actually. No need to use your desktop/laptop at all.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah most of the updates are done Over The Air. Which can be accessed by *228. If you really don't know that much about the phones and programming, you can always take a trip to your local VZW store and have them show you how everything is done also, would only take a couple minutes.

rutger1413

Reaction score
Sprint is not doing OTA updates for Android, they are actually releasing a desktop app to do it. Verizon could go either way. We should know soon enough and hopefully getting an update to fix the camera issues before the end of the year.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
In the past there have been alerts to the G1 and other Android devices that let users know of an updated OS. Then the user can simply download the update and install it.

Since this is supposed to be a pure Google phone, I would imagine that this wouldn't change. At least I hope that is the case. I won't to avoid desktop requirements as much as possible.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the past there have been alerts to the G1 and other Android devices that let users know of an updated OS. Then the user can simply download the update and install it.

Since this is supposed to be a pure Google phone, I would imagine that this wouldn't change. At least I hope that is the case. I won't to avoid desktop requirements as much as possible.

in addition, the HTC that is dropping the same day will come with 1.5, but there should be a 2.0 upgrade by the end of the year. i think they kept 1.5 for the sense ui, but maybe there will be a 2.0 version?