Is Hard Charging a real thing?

doobie711

Reaction score
a buddy of mine and myself were driving late last night when both of our phones died. we were looking for a place and needed to juice up one of the phones. i saw that his gps charger was the same mini b connection as his hero. i plugged it up to charge and he started to freaking out yelling "NO MAN DON'T DO THAT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HARD CHARGE" of course i asked him what in god's name he was talking about. apparently a guy at alltel told him that if you charge a phone on anything other than AC it's called hard charging and it kills the battery life. this doesn't really sound right to me because i've gone through 2 droids and an incredible and i've mostly used usb to charge. is this hard charging thing real or just some idiot from alltel?

Last edited:

celborn

Reaction score
I throw the BS flag on ya friends info from alltel. I regularly use blackberry chargers, USB hard drive ports and my GPS cord without any issue

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll back up celborn.

My phone is plugged into my usb port right now. At work it often sits on there for hours at a time. On weekends I have no problem unplugging it off the wall charger at 6am and having the phone last until 9-11pm. I've had this phone since January.

The usb charger will take longer to charge the phone than a wall charger, but that's the only difference. If it really killed the battery they'd just let data transfer through the cord and forgo charging via the computer altogether.

OP
doobie711

doobie711

Reaction score
Those were my exact thoughts. i have problems with battery but that's just been the story of my incredible. thanks guys. i know now why i've never bothered to consider alltel for service.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Consider anything said by any carrier's reps to be suspect unless you know that rep to be knowledgeable.

harv2000

Reaction score
I perpetually find the ignorance of the carriers sales reps alarming. I keep wanting to tell them if you don't know, say so. Being wrong simply makes you look stupid. Saying you don't know, but will find out tells me that I might get a good answer on other questions.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Utter bull. The chip controlling the charge is smart enough to adapt. Besides, why would they use a USB port as the charging port if you weren't supposed to use a USB cable to charge?

Ever hear of USB tethering? :)

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Plus, the phone doesn't use AC to charge, the job of the charger itself is to transform AC to DC... :icon_rolleyes:

tamlin42

Reaction score
I perpetually find the ignorance of the carriers sales reps alarming. I keep wanting to tell them if you don't know, say so. Being wrong simply makes you look stupid. Saying you don't know, but will find out tells me that I might get a good answer on other questions.

This isn't ignorance, it's exploitative. If consumers don't know any better you can sell them anything, even wall chargers at 30 bucks a piece.

Skull One

Reaction score
To shed some light on where this started:

LG made a series of phones that required their chargers vs a knock off. It was done so LG could keep up their standard practice of forcing the user to upgrade not only the phone but all of their addons like car and extra wall chargers. When LG finally went to micro-usb it got even worse. The phone starts warning you that there is an issue when you use anything but their chargers.

You can confirm this with the LG Env if you want to do some research on the subject. It is one of the reasons I no longer buy LG phones.

polack

Reaction score

LG made a series of phones that required their chargers vs a knock off. It was done so LG could keep up their standard practice of forcing the user to upgrade not only the phone but all of their addons like car and extra wall chargers. When LG finally went to micro-usb it got even worse. The phone starts warning you that there is an issue when you use anything but their chargers.

You can confirm this with the LG Env if you want to do some research on the subject. It is one of the reasons I no longer buy LG phones.

As much as i want to agree with you that lg is a horrible company for only wanting you to use their chargers, i can't because it's crap. i bought my wife an env three and use my moto charger and two knockoffs to charge it on a regular basis. one charger had a problem and i just selected a different setting in the phone and it now charges. i hate the phone but your info is wrong. The warning might pop up, but it still allows the phone to charge.

Skull One

Reaction score

As much as i want to agree with you that lg is a horrible company for only wanting you to use their chargers, i can't because it's crap. i bought my wife an env three and use my moto charger and two knockoffs to charge it on a regular basis. one charger had a problem and i just selected a different setting in the phone and it now charges. i hate the phone but your info is wrong. The warning might pop up, but it still allows the phone to charge.

I never once said it wouldn't charge, I said it would warn. Which is a scare tactic. And hence can start/allow salesmen to come up with "hard charging".

Next time feel free not to read anymore into what I write. I relayed the facts and only the facts, which you confirmed no less by saying the same exact thing I did: "the phone warned of a non-standard charger".

Have a great day :)