Is D2 worth the early upgrade

azules9780

Reaction score
I'm with Droid101. The new phones are cool and all but I'm waiting for a front facing camera, better processor(better than I can currently overclock to now? At least 1.5ghz) and 4g/LTE compatible.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
If what we see here is a accurate representation of the Droid 2, then I can wait until something better surfaces sometime next year. A simple processor and keyboard upgrade is a joke, unless Verizon plans on selling that phone with a 2yr for $50 to a $100. A $100 dollars plus a new 2yr to too much for a processor upgrade and a cosmetic change if you ask me.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remember, its not really worth an early upgrade for current Droid users, but it is worth it if:

Currently on a regular cellphone
Currently on a lesser smartphone

I dont know about the Devour, but the Eris? Then think about some of those less than stellar WinMo phones, current Blackberry owners, etc.

I do not believe this phone was targeted at current Droid or Inc owners.

awdwhip

Reaction score
The Droid I want is the size of the droid x with a keyboard and a 2ghz processor. Hopefully they come through with that. The 2ghz processor is what is keeping me from looking at the Droid x. If Ima burn an early upgrade I want something that is worth it.

What phone is this? Got a name?

dhinged

Reaction score
Two words: Game Gripper.

Two sentences: More RAM. Better Flash experience.

Wait, were those actually sentences?

Reaction score
I think if this version of the droid is as encrypted as the droidx is rumored to be, then i think alot of people will pass on this one. I will just hang on to my droid1

Ficarra

Reaction score
I don't see much reason to get this. The improved keyboard really doesn't look that much better. And the CPU increase isn't worth losing all the custom ROMs and themes already made for the Droid. Pass.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Why bother with LTE phones being release this winter

With LTE phones about to be released before the year is out to support Verizon's LTE service, those of us not wanting or able to get Droid X should wait LTE supportive phones to become available. This is assuming the Droid 2 won't support LTE services.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
With LTE phones about to be released before the year is out to support Verizon's LTE service, those of us not wanting or able to get Droid X should wait LTE supportive phones to become available. This is assuming the Droid 2 won't support LTE services.
I saw an article that showed verizon broadcasting lte 4g over 90% of the U.S. by 2013 but have they put out any releases on what cities would get them by the end of this year or 2011... i know they are testing it in Boston, MA and Seattle, WA... but if they're not coming to a city you're in till 2013 no point in even getting a capable phone.... by 2013 i could be on my 3rd NE2 since getting the moto droid on release day

In regards to the original poster i wouldn't get the droid 2 since I have the droid 1 if you have another verizon phone other then the droid x i'd absolutely get the droid 2 ... me personally i'd prefer the droid x i love the screen and i'm so used to swype and shapewriter that i don't even use my keyboard anymore

Last edited:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
On a more personal note, the Droid 2 isn't going to set itself apart from the competition, so why bother. I need a attention grabber with specs like LTE support, 2GHz processor, bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0 and 8 or 12 megapixel camera.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I saw an article that showed verizon broadcasting lte 4g over 90% of the U.S. by 2013 but have they put out any releases on what cities would get them by the end of this year or 2011... i know they are testing it in Boston, MA and Seattle, WA... but if they're not coming to a city you're in till 2013 no point in even getting a capable phone.... by 2013 i could be on my 3rd NE2 since getting the moto droid on release day

In regards to the original poster i wouldn't get the droid 2 since I have the droid 1 if you have another verizon phone other then the droid x i'd absolutely get the droid 2 ... me personally i'd prefer the droid x i love the screen and i'm so used to swype and shapewriter that i don't even use my keyboard anymore

I just like to stay ahead of the curve. For all we know the could be coming to a city near me by the next summer, which is when I can upgrade.

stlsteelersfan

Reaction score
I have the droid Eris would the droid 2 be worth the early upgrade? I would get the R2D2 one or should I just wait till Droid X in stock maybe by then and help or ideas?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the droid Eris would the droid 2 be worth the early upgrade? I would get the R2D2 one or should I just wait till Droid X in stock maybe by then and help or ideas?

according to verizon droid x's are shipping out in around 2 weeks 8.3... sites are reporting droid2 release around the end of august 18th or 23rd but nothing set in stone... but i guess its a matter of preference.. both are very good upgrades compared to the eris which i don't believe is even getting the froyo upgrade... if i was picking i would take the x i love the screen and features... i have the droid1 so the droid2 isn't that much of a difference

gl getting another awesome android phone!

Reaction score

according to verizon droid x's are shipping out in around 2 weeks 8.3... sites are reporting droid2 release around the end of august 18th or 23rd but nothing set in stone... but i guess its a matter of preference.. both are very good upgrades compared to the eris which i don't believe is even getting the froyo upgrade... if i was picking i would take the x i love the screen and features... i have the droid1 so the droid2 isn't that much of a difference

gl getting another awesome android phone!

Droid X or Droid Pro (unanounced) because of similar features