Is cheek-dialing improved from D1 to D3?

checker555

Reaction score
I know only small subset of people have had this trouble, but I'm one of them and I'm finally due for my upgrade. I'm tempted to wait for the Bionic, but I like the keyboard and don't need 4G, so the price on the D3 is more appealing.

HOWEVER, I am so frustrated with the cheek-dialing, cheek-muting, etc. I'm wondering if anyone who had this issue with D1 has tried D3 and found it to be better. The alternative would be to hope that the Bionic (since different manufacturer) might not have the issue. I need to upgrade ASAP because my phone is about done.

jpblock82

Reaction score
I find this funny, since my roommate has the same issue. I never understood it. she is always hanging up on people, hitting numbers with her face as she's on the phone... I have never once had this problem. I've read that long hair can mess with the proximity sensor and give this issue, but I really don't know.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

btonetbone

Reaction score
I did not have a problem with it on the D1 or the D3, but my fiancee has the problem on her D1 (what makes it odd is that I can't make it happen on her phone, so I believe it's how the person interacts with the phone, not an actual defect). She has been on vacation since I got my D3, so we have not had a chance to experiment on this model.

However, we did find a good workaround on her D1 which should work with any phone. There is an app called Screen Suite which will automatically lock your screen with a slider whenever you are active with a call. Ever since we have set that up, she has had zero difficulties.

Good luck!

Ragnell

Reaction score
I've had this issue, While re-adjusting my face on my D1, I haven't had this issue at all with my D3, so far so good, it seems to really understand when my face is really off the phone

Stevelord

Reaction score
No issue on my D3.

I do have an issue talking on speaker, then when the conversation is done....I have to hit the top button to turn the screen back on so I can hang up.

Yanks33Jets

Reaction score
Seems much improved to me, it was a big issue with my Droid 1 and have noticed the screen sensor seems to work much better on the Droid 3.

Stevo223

Reaction score
honestly i had the original droid and recently upgraded to the droid 3 and it has been such an improvement from the original its unbelievable, but ive never had the problem of cheek dialing i tend to hold the phone at a small distance from my face and only leave the top of the phone to rest on my ear

jpblock82

Reaction score
honestly i had the original droid and recently upgraded to the droid 3 and it has been such an improvement from the original its unbelievable, but ive never had the problem of cheek dialing i tend to hold the phone at a small distance from my face and only leave the top of the phone to rest on my ear

Exactly... I think that's the way to do it...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Big D

Reaction score
D1. Not with me but with my wife, she couldn't even talk on the damn thing without hanging the phone up.

Hasn't happened with the D3 yet but she's really not used it much. But the D1 was unusable for her. Never a single problem with me. Weird.

jpblock82

Reaction score
D1. Not with me but with my wife, she couldn't even talk on the damn thing without hanging the phone up.

Hasn't happened with the D3 yet but she's really not used it much. But the D1 was unusable for her. Never a single problem with me. Weird.

Lol... exactly.. its only the ladies I've know to have this issue. ;)

Sent from my DROID3