Is anyone else having WIFI problems??

SMarciano1

Reaction score
I have a droid and a droid x. I have a trendnet N router at home which works great with my laptop and desktop systems for over a year. The droid connects perfectly, never waivers and is quick when surfing. The X however struggles to connect. When it does, it'll stay connected for a minute or so and drop out. There are also times it'll show full wi-fi signal in the notification bar but it will not surf (web page not avail). I went to the library yesterday and it connected quickly and did not drop out. They have a Linksys G router there. Right now I show a full wi-fi signal but I get we page not available. The interesting thing is that this is the first time I've noticed that the 3G icon is displayed with the wi-fi icon.
I noticed some sort of update to my phone. Is anyone aware of an OTA update today Saturday 7/24/10?
Thanks Sal

Pacidermiz X

Reaction score
Fixed my droid x home wifi connection issue!!!

FIXED MY DROID X HOME WiFI ISSUE!!!
Hope it works for you- Droid X/ D-Link DIR-615 mixed b/g/n with tkip/aes cypher WPA security. MAC filtering on top of that. That's the mode most people across the forums are useing mixed mode that have the issue. Its also the most secure home settings for the newest/most common 802.11 standard. I was obtaining an IP and properly connecting to my router, which would disable the Droid X's 3G. Good so far, but the Droid X would nottake the leap out into the internet- or any of the network devices I have.

So with those details that will help someone fix this out of the way, here goes:
I like a secure network at home. Call me paranoid. I disable UPNP (universal network plug 'n play service) on my router. I enabled it, rebooted the router, and used the "wifi on off" by CurveFish widget (just remember widgets are not in the app list, but used by a long tap on the home screen then selected from the android widget list). Poof- the WiFi came right up. I used this widget specifically because another forum post had suggested the issue is caused by the 3G not turning off, but I think the UNPN thing suggests that is not the cause. Hmm.
So I have UPNP disabled on all my computers (the windows boxes that have it anyway). Ask the guru Steve Gibson at GRC.com why UPNP is so bad for your box and find the solution at the same time... GRC|UnPlug n' Pray - Disable the Dangerous UPnP Internet Server
I am not afilitaed with GRC.com or Steve in any way besides listening to his podcast. He just does good work and I appreciate that.

Interpol

Reaction score
So with those details that will help someone fix this out of the way, here goes:
I like a secure network at home. Call me paranoid. I disable UPNP (universal network plug 'n play service) on my router. I enabled it, rebooted the router, and used the "wifi on off" by CurveFish widget (just remember widgets are not in the app list, but used by a long tap on the home screen then selected from the android widget list). Poof- the WiFi came right up. I used this widget specifically because another forum post had suggested the issue is caused by the 3G not turning off, but I think the UNPN thing suggests that is not the cause. Hmm.
So I have UPNP disabled on all my computers (the windows boxes that have it anyway). Ask the guru Steve Gibson at GRC.com why UPNP is so bad for your box and find the solution at the same time... GRC|UnPlug n' Pray - Disable the Dangerous UPnP Internet Server
I am not afilitaed with GRC.com or Steve in any way besides listening to his podcast. He just does good work and I appreciate that.
You do realize that URL and program you referenced is almost 10 years old and hasn't been updated since 2001, right? If you're running Win7, it doesn't apply.

kiter86

Reaction score
I thought I fixed mine by going to g only, but problems are back.:icon_evil:

MartinN

Reaction score
802.11.n does not work because it does not support 802.11n. We have a mixed router b/g/n at work (Netgear) and I would periodically see the SSID and at other times I would not - meaning, when the router decides to do g instead of n, it's visible....

I asked our IT guru to lock down the Netgear in "g" mode only, now it is consistent and works like a charm.

MartinN

Reaction score
I thought I fixed mine by going to g only, but problems are back.:icon_evil:

What I am experiencing in "g" mode is a yo-yo effect - it would connect, then lose the connection periodically, then re-connect, lose it, etc.

For whatever reason, the Droid X is not able to maintain a solid, constant "g" connection despite a strong signal. I've no idea why.

erniel29

Reaction score
Go look at the specs for the Droid X, it says it is 802.11n compatible.

MartinN

Reaction score
Go look at the specs for the Droid X, it says it is 802.11n compatible.

crap.. well I was looking at this image -http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/articleimage/684/2010/06/iphone4_droidx_incredible_evo4g_nexusone.jpg

it says b/g in the Droid X column. I believe you about the "n" though.

freeangle

Reaction score
All okay here. I have a linksys 802.11n router running mixed mode. I have the just released update but didn't see any problems before. Do you have the just releasedn droid x OTA update? Maybe try resetting to factory settings on your router and definitely reset it.

i agree with you,try to reset the router,and then it will run well as you want...

bmurr22

Reaction score
I see this thread has not been answered in a week, but I'm hopeful that people having the problem are still around. I found this link via a search that led me to BGR then to here. I recently encountered the same problem with my Droid (original one) after the 2.2 OTA update the other day. But the problem you describe is exactly what I have been experiencing.

My question to you is have you tested the router in the following configuration:

B/G/N or G/N -------- With TKIP/AES or AES by itself

Those configurations seem to cause the biggest issue for me when any variation of N is mixed with any variation of AES encryption. If I take N out of the equation, AES seems to work and same goes for taking AES out of the equation, N works. And yes I realize my phone is only B/G, but I have devices in my home that i like to have take advantage of the N speeds.

My network configuration is: Actiontec MI424WR rev D (Fios w/ latest firmware) --> D-Link DIR-615 with 3.12NA firmware --> Connects to Macbook Pro 10.6.4, PS3 via Trendnet TEW-647GA N-Adapter, Wii and up until the update, my Droid.

I've posted the same topic on:

Motorola Forums: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/209328#209328
Verizon Wireless Forums: 2.2 Killed My Wifi - Verizon Wireless Community

And the Motorola forums have been more helpful. I'm just trying to confirm the problem to see if this is something they are putting in all their phones causing an issue with Wifi. The only responses I have seen are to put up with it, do a hard reset, or install some "power saving off" apps to see if it is a power issue. If you have other suggestions that have worked for you I would be more than willing to try at this point.

Varkog

Reaction score
D Link Wi-Fi Connectivity Fixed

I have an ancient D Link DI-614+ 802.11b only router and was having the same kind of problem as some of you -- my Droid X would connect and receive an IP address, but could not connect outbound to the Internet with any application. I noticed in the Wi-Fi Settings that I was connected at 22 Mbps, and remembered that my router requires a proprietary PC card to double the normal 11 Mbps speed to 22. I disabled 22 Mbps transmission in the router's admin settings, rebooted the router, turned off and turned on wireless in the Droid X, and now I'm working fine at 11 Mbps. I hope that might help somebody. Best of luck to all and I'm looking forward to Froyo.