Is 4G LTE true 4g?

xBabyBoy4021x

Reaction score
A friend was telling me that a verizon rep told him that the 4g LTE that they have in my area is basically "4g lite" and isnt true 4g speeds and capabilities. This friend is the the smartest person i know and not very tech smart. So i looked it up and the few articles i read didnt really seem to give me a definite answer. I also saw in another threat that somebody in chicago is getting 35mb/s download speeds on 4g and mine in lincoln nebraska has hit about 7.5 at its fastest. Is that because chicago has TRUE 4g and i only have LTE? Or is LTE esentially exactly what 4g is?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, didnt know where else to post it

Sent from my DROID RAZR

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
In getting around what you are as well in northern Utah. Better than 3g, but not as fantastic as some are saying.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
LTE is currently the fastest "4G" available but technically it's not 4G. IIRC true 4G isn't until you get speeds of more than 100mbps. Because LTE is so much faster than 3g though they wanted to be able to differentiate the two. There was a whole big debate about whether it was false advertising at first.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

km75

Reaction score
He is correct. The short story is no one has 4g speeds as determined by the ITU. But it has nothing to do with your area, carrier, service etc etc. It just isn't available yet. NOBODY has it yet.
In regards to the difference in download/upload speeds that you experience in comparison to others...well that depends on a few factors such as signal strength, congestion etc etc
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Technically, LTE is a forerunner to true 4g technology. I believe for it to qualify for true 4g it needs to use orthogonal frequency division multiplexing and achieve speeds of 100mbps. LTE uses the former, but cannot achieve the latter.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
xBabyBoy4021x

xBabyBoy4021x

Reaction score
I thought i read that 4g technology has a MAX of 100, not that it has to be AT LEAST 100, 100mb/s is almist 10x as fast as my home broadband connection!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

km75

Reaction score
I thought i read that 4g technology has a MAX of 100, not that it has to be AT LEAST 100, 100mb/s is almist 10x as fast as my home broadband connection!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

In 2009, the ITU-R organization specified the IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) requirements for 4G standards, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 Mbit/s for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary

users). [1]
The 1Gb refers to pedestrians and stationary. That would be for cell phone users like you and I.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk