Iphone Vs. Droid - My Experience Only

erikfig

Reaction score
Well,

I would do the same if that happened to me. But let me tell you, AT&T is the most freaking expensive company for wireless services. I was going to get two iphone, one for me and one for my wife and the monthly payments was going to be near 300 just for the two line plus the cost of the phones.

I went to the VZW store next to AT&T and the rep gave me 2 Droids for free and 2 samsung Intensity for my kids.

So, Me and my wife have Droids and my two kids have their Samsung Intensity.

My monthly payments is just $204.00 and the Droids have the Data plan! I rooted my phones since day one and never had a problem with them...

25cents

Reaction score
My only response to iPhone users who spout off about having more apps:

"I have a metal detector on my phone. You lose."

sandy504

Reaction score
man u r so right verizon is a rip off

I have had a Motorola Droid since Christmas time. My wife got mad at her Eris and got an Iphone. So I have gotten to use both for the last 8 months. I will never use Verizon OR the Droid again. Here is why:

Number One Reason: Conveniently outside of the 30 day return window, the slider on my Droid started to loosen up. The crazy thing is I don’t even use the keyboard, so I rarely if ever move the slider! At first it was a small bother, but over time the thing kept getting worse to the point the slider would move with simple gravity. I took the phone to two different stores and the sales reps both told me the same thing,
“Oh yeah that is just normal”.
“Really? How come the store models don’t do that?”
“Well they are new, but they are supposed to loosen up”
It may seem somewhat minute, but the thing moving all over when I am trying to type, surf, or talk, drives me nuts.
Anyway, I gave up for a while. Then the other day, I did something stupid: I dropped the phone in the toilet. Phone is fried. I have always taken good care of it and NEVER dropped it before. I called Verizon and let them know I have the insurance but have always been unhappy with the phone anyway. I looked at the new DroidX, which has no slider, and thought I could get some sort of deal on a new one. Nope. 30 minutes of polite discussion and nothing. I am stuck with a new Droid, which others on this very website have said that it will loosen up as well. I am appalled that a new version of the Droid is out only 6 months later, which by its very own existence affirms the slider had issues, and Verizon will do nothing.

Other Reasons: So I have played with my Wife’s Iphone plenty, but have been using it exclusively for the last 4 days while waiting for my replacement Droid. Over time, my Droid has slowed down, it turns on and off over and over by itself at times, and the sound quality has degraded. I have had a bunch of app conflicts, a serious issue with GPS that did not work for almost a month. The answer to the ability to use two fingers to expand, the Dolphin Browser, is still just a cheap knockoff of what Iphone did right from the beginning and is buggy at best. The Iphone is just as fast as day one, has apps I have STILL been waiting on for the Droid, takes better pictures with less Megapixels, oh and here is the big one: It costs LESS! That’s right, her service costs less than mine. Her insurance is just an $80 up front fee. No $7.99/mo and then $90 deductible for a new phone. She can go to a store and get a new one, not wait 4-5 days (no weekend delivery) for one to be shipped and then you have to figure out the setup yourself.

So Verizon, I don’t expect to bring you down, but it is going to cost a lot more than the $369 discount you could have given me. Well actually, seeing as Motorola sells the phones for $150 (hearsay), you are not really paying anything to help make it right. Instead, I will be posting messages like this on ANY forum that could possibly sway a customer from joining Verizon. And if you think my keyboard is loud, you should hear my mouth. All you had to do was continue to profit and sell me another 2 year contract a bit early and a $200 Droid X. Nuts.
verizon is a rip off since i brought the droid over charge every month this month $173.00 i have unlimited every thing 89.00 +29.data +7.99 insurance and stiil have to pay 90 dollars if phone breaks. cant wait to get out this 2 year night mare contract.

sandy504

Reaction score
cant wait till this contract ends will buy iphone. verizon very bad

25cents

Reaction score
I had the same issue with Verizon once upon a time Sandy. Stopped into the store and they cleared everything up real easy.

iPirate

Reaction score
cant wait till this contract ends will buy iphone. verizon very bad

some people don't have good luck with the Droid and they get iphones.

some people also have to use adult diapers when they get older.

R

RETG

verizon is a rip off since i brought the droid over charge every month this month $173.00 i have unlimited every thing 89.00 +29.data +7.99 insurance and stiil have to pay 90 dollars if phone breaks. cant wait to get out this 2 year night mare contract.

????????????
Not sure what the overcharge statement is about. But if the phone breaks due to a manufacturing defect, it is covered for free the first year. After that it would be 90.

To the original poster:
I undestand the feeling about being peed at Verizon. I'm not a happy camper at this time either. But I wouldn't switch to AT&T even if I could. Where I live, AT&T offers no 3G, Sprint's area is too small, so I'm kind of stuck with Verizon if I want 3G and decent cell phone coverage.
Also, the iPhones do break. Have a friend, one of the Apple Zombies (someone who follows Jobs with their eyes closed), who just dumped his iPhone 4. The screen problems he blames on the iPhone, the call dropping he is blaming on both the phone and AT&T. He lives in a well AT&T coverage area outside of Detroit MI.

So, wish you better luck with Verizon than I am having. They are not budging on letting me update three months earlier than the new every 2, unless I pay full boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuckyMarshall

Reaction score
THE DROID IS THE BOMB HANDS DOWN. END OF DISCUSSION.
Its funny listing to people who have had problems with their DROID'S. Every Manufacturer have phones that has a batch or two thats a bunch of lemons.
All the carriers charge you and arm and a leg. (Of course with the exception of garbage metro and crappy t-mobile, sometimes cheap is just that cheap.) You get what you pay for. I've own the Droid since it came out. I purchased mine from Costco and every 90 days for the past year I have taken it back and got a new one sometimes just because I can. I can attest that having used over 5 Droid's personally and Yes I have rooted everyone single one. I have never experienced any of these problems I here this Droid user complaining about. That doesn't means it doesn't have its shortcomings, the more apps you install at times it may get sluggish just swich roms and correct that, but I can't think of a phone that doesn't slow down the more you use up the ram/rom. The iphone does it too. (did I mention you can't change your battery on the iphone how is your iphones battery life. We can find shortcomings all day long. I've convinced at least a dozen of my friends to switch from the Iphone to the Droid. That doesn't mean the Droid it better (to me it is)but both phones have there pros and cons. At the end of the day. If you ask me the DROID is the BOMB. PERIOD.
VERIZON OR AT&T they are going to get your Money so just deal with it and don't complain or you can always go to Metro or T-Mobile Crap and Crap. Or just get out of the smartphone market all together.

Go Verizon. Droid Hell yeah.

Reaction score
For every one person that has a problem like this with Verizon/Droid there are probably 20 or more who have had even worse from ATT/Apple. Hell, Apple just designed and sold a phone with a serious design flaw, and their response was to tell thousands of people that they were holding it wrong lol.

xandor

Reaction score
I love my Droid, just updated with the official Froyo 2.2, no problems with slider, and no complaints about Verizon service (fortunately haven't had to use them much).

I looked at a Droid X in Best Buy (of course, they only have non-functioning models), want to see about the onscreen keyboard first.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

hyperlite456

Reaction score
OP do you use a case for your droid? If not and you have any slight wobble, get one. Or if you really want to prevent it from moving on you, purchase one of those nice stickers you can put on the back of your slider. I know it sucks to have to do that, but it'll work. Some droids are luckier than others.

Reaction score
OP do you use a case for your droid? If not and you have any slight wobble, get one. Or if you really want to prevent it from moving on you, purchase one of those nice stickers you can put on the back of your slider. I know it sucks to have to do that, but it'll work. Some droids are luckier than others.

Also when you buy your iphone, you should also buy a case for it so that you don't lose service...

OP
L

loadmasterc141

Reaction score

Yeah I have one. I have considered gluing the slider down. Just got my new one from the insurance and I am guessing it is a refurb because the slider is loose and it has a drop mark. Not as bad as my first one yet though.

I also followed someone elses advice on here and wrote emails to the prez and VPs.

FingersXG

Reaction score
Sounds like your main issue is with VZW customer service.

As far as the phone goes...to be fair, your comparing features in a midrange phone (Eris) to a flagship (iPhone).

I think you would have been ecstatic if you had gotten the Droid X.