Iphone Vs. Droid - My Experience Only

loadmasterc141

Reaction score
I have had a Motorola Droid since Christmas time. My wife got mad at her Eris and got an Iphone. So I have gotten to use both for the last 8 months. I will never use Verizon OR the Droid again. Here is why:

Number One Reason: Conveniently outside of the 30 day return window, the slider on my Droid started to loosen up. The crazy thing is I don’t even use the keyboard, so I rarely if ever move the slider! At first it was a small bother, but over time the thing kept getting worse to the point the slider would move with simple gravity. I took the phone to two different stores and the sales reps both told me the same thing,
“Oh yeah that is just normal”.
“Really? How come the store models don’t do that?”
“Well they are new, but they are supposed to loosen up”
It may seem somewhat minute, but the thing moving all over when I am trying to type, surf, or talk, drives me nuts.
Anyway, I gave up for a while. Then the other day, I did something stupid: I dropped the phone in the toilet. Phone is fried. I have always taken good care of it and NEVER dropped it before. I called Verizon and let them know I have the insurance but have always been unhappy with the phone anyway. I looked at the new DroidX, which has no slider, and thought I could get some sort of deal on a new one. Nope. 30 minutes of polite discussion and nothing. I am stuck with a new Droid, which others on this very website have said that it will loosen up as well. I am appalled that a new version of the Droid is out only 6 months later, which by its very own existence affirms the slider had issues, and Verizon will do nothing.

Other Reasons: So I have played with my Wife’s Iphone plenty, but have been using it exclusively for the last 4 days while waiting for my replacement Droid. Over time, my Droid has slowed down, it turns on and off over and over by itself at times, and the sound quality has degraded. I have had a bunch of app conflicts, a serious issue with GPS that did not work for almost a month. The answer to the ability to use two fingers to expand, the Dolphin Browser, is still just a cheap knockoff of what Iphone did right from the beginning and is buggy at best. The Iphone is just as fast as day one, has apps I have STILL been waiting on for the Droid, takes better pictures with less Megapixels, oh and here is the big one: It costs LESS! That’s right, her service costs less than mine. Her insurance is just an $80 up front fee. No $7.99/mo and then $90 deductible for a new phone. She can go to a store and get a new one, not wait 4-5 days (no weekend delivery) for one to be shipped and then you have to figure out the setup yourself.

So Verizon, I don’t expect to bring you down, but it is going to cost a lot more than the $369 discount you could have given me. Well actually, seeing as Motorola sells the phones for $150 (hearsay), you are not really paying anything to help make it right. Instead, I will be posting messages like this on ANY forum that could possibly sway a customer from joining Verizon. And if you think my keyboard is loud, you should hear my mouth. All you had to do was continue to profit and sell me another 2 year contract a bit early and a $200 Droid X. Nuts.

Last edited:

dragozoid

Reaction score
Sounds like you just had bad luck. I talked to CS and got my DX on launch day for $300 without contract (due to a few mishaps though).

If you plan on going to AT&T, don't expect better CS. I've heard nothing but bad things about their CS.

OP
L

loadmasterc141

Reaction score
Well I am an airline pilot. I am one of the few non-Iphone users in my community. I think it is mainly due to the lack of apps for pilots on the Droid, but who knows.

Anyway, I had heard even from them that their CS sucked. However, they have been telling me recently that AT&T has been pushing hard to improve. Two guys I talked to had an issue with their Iphone. A few lost or broke them. All had no issues getting new phones. One guy managed to get a new 4G for contract price well inside of his current contract.

Last edited:

naknak95

Reaction score
Sounds like you just had bad luck. I talked to CS and got my DX on launch day for $300 without contract (due to a few mishaps though).

If you plan on going to AT&T, don't expect better CS. I've heard nothing but bad things about their CS.

I only had the iPhone for 2 months and was glad to get rid of it. The coverage is terrible. Verizon has better coverage.

Chillenout

Reaction score
If you don't like the answers that the cust rep gives you , you should contact Vz Executive Offices.

Executive Leadership

Go to Executive leadership and send an email to Lowell Mc Adams, CEO/Pres ...click on the profile link and at the bottom of the page there's a link to contact him.

Then go to Region Presidents and send an email to the President in your area.

You will get a response. And 99.5% of the time you'll like what they do for you.

OP
L

loadmasterc141

Reaction score
If you don't like the answers that the cust rep gives you , you should contact Vz Executive Offices.

Executive Leadership

Go to Executive leadership and send an email to Lowell Mc Adams, CEO/Pres ...click on the profile link and at the bottom of the page there's a link to contact him.

Then go to Region Presidents and send an email to the President in your area.

You will get a response. And 99.5% of the time you'll like what they do for you.

Well I sent a final email yesterday through the "contact us" feature. It was tactful and non-threatening, but have yet to receive a response. Thanks for the other emails. I guess I will try them too. I think the DroidX solves most of my issues with the phones. My main frustration is with CS unwillingness to make some attempt, any attempt, to put it right.

OP
L

loadmasterc141

Reaction score
??? Yup.
C-141 LoadMaster 6AS McGuire AFB NJ 1993-1998

Regional Airline pilot now.

don_813

Reaction score
i've had the droid for a while too. although i've never had an iphone, i think i would take it over the droid to be honest. My droid has some bugs that i've never even heard of anyone talk about (i.e. home screen icons disappear and its getting slower because of all the new Android phones coming out, developers make programs that require more power)
oh well though i have to live with it for 1 more year lol

Card

Reaction score
You make some valid points. I see pros and cons with both phones, and would honestly be happy with either one. But the kicker for me was AT&T's coverage. It's too spotty in several areas I'm often in. So I've stuck with Verizon.

OP
L

loadmasterc141

Reaction score
(i.e. home screen icons disappear and its getting slower because of all the new Android phones coming out, developers make programs that require more power)

I have had those problems as well actually. Come to think of it, quite a few buggy things, but the icons disappearing yes....annoying. It is a RAM issue.

KrazyAtes

Reaction score
Lol let's not talk about things that the iPhone does that the Droid doesn't. We could do the same thing for things the Droid does that the iPhone doesn't and it would be quite a bit longer.
Apple's App Store had over a year head start on Android's Market, so yeah, it has more apps.
I've had my Droid since day one, and haven't had any slider problems.
My Droid is rooted and rom'd, so if I have an issue with bugginess or it being sluggish, I just flash a new rom. Let me flash a custom rom on the iPhone. Oh wait...
Haha I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with the Droid and Verizon, but I have nothing but good things to say about the phone and my service.
Enjoy having to "hold your phone properly"

P.S. I had an iPhone since day one and switched to the Droid when it came out. No regrets.

P.P.S. I'm not trying to troll, I'm just defending my baby.dancedroid Sorry you had bad luck man!

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
I have the original Droid but since AT&T has terrible coverage in my area there is no way for me to get an iphone unless verizon gets a new one. I dont know why but the Android original homescreen has always been sluggish on just about every Android phone I have tried (except for the EVO but it is not regular android). The iphone has the homescreen thing down and while you cant do too much to replace it you dont need to since its already good enough. As far as the app market, I think it would be nice to have the large amount of apps in the android app store but it really isnt that big of a deal for me. I usually just try out apps for a couple of days then end up uninstalling them quickly anyway. Luckily my contract is up in December of this year so I can upgrade my phone if I want. The Droid X isnt calling me because all it is is a marginally bigger screen and the Droid 2 is the same exact phone. Ill be waiting for an android phone with a screen resolution higher than wvga and a good keyboard but until then ill keep with the Droid. While it may have some shortcomings (like the irritating wobble keyboard), I still like it because it is solid.