iPhone Earbuds and Droid Functionality

Thanassi44

Reaction score
If anyone has already mentioned this, I apologize, but I think its pretty cool...

A couple months ago I bought a set of $30 dollar iPhone headphones with built in mic for my iPod classic. The mic allows for voice recording on the iPod, as well as pause/play and track skipping. I really enjoyed the convenience of these earbuds on my iPod, and thought I'd try them out on the Droid. Here are the results:

For phone calls, they do what you'd expect. Answer/End calls. Although they don't prompt voice commands like they did on my LG Dare, which I thought was also a great feature. Callers heard me pretty well on the other end, although I did have to hold the mic closer to my mouth outdoors, as I've seen most people with the iPhone do.

For the music player (MP3s on the phone) and Pandora:
Clicking the mic pauses and restarts audio playback, although with some minor inconsistency. Sometimes it took 1 click, sometimes two, or up to three. The phone seems to go "dormant" at some point and the extra click or two is necessary to "awaken" it, if you will. However, once initiated, each successive click will instantly pause/play without delay.

Another neat feature discovered: after closing or killing all the apps with taskiller or advanced task killer, clicking the mic will automatically start the last music app and the last song that was playing, (although in the media player's case, from the beginning. But I don't think that has anything to do with the headset).

So if you have an iPhone headset, try it out. Enjoy! :)

nka

Reaction score
If anyone has already mentioned this, I apologize, but I think its pretty cool...

A couple months ago I bought a set of $30 dollar iPhone headphones with built in mic for my iPod classic. The mic allows for voice recording on the iPod, as well as pause/play and track skipping. I really enjoyed the convenience of these earbuds on my iPod, and thought I'd try them out on the Droid. Here are the results:

For phone calls, they do what you'd expect. Answer/End calls. Although they don't prompt voice commands like they did on my LG Dare, which I thought was also a great feature. Callers heard me pretty well on the other end, although I did have to hold the mic closer to my mouth outdoors, as I've seen most people with the iPhone do.

For the music player (MP3s on the phone) and Pandora:
Clicking the mic pauses and restarts audio playback, although with some minor inconsistency. Sometimes it took 1 click, sometimes two, or up to three. The phone seems to go "dormant" at some point and the extra click or two is necessary to "awaken" it, if you will. However, once initiated, each successive click will instantly pause/play without delay.

Another neat feature discovered: after closing or killing all the apps with taskiller or advanced task killer, clicking the mic will automatically start the last music app and the last song that was playing, (although in the media player's case, from the beginning. But I don't think that has anything to do with the headset).

So if you have an iPhone headset, try it out. Enjoy! :)
Thx for testing that out. I too have an iPhone earbud and noticed the Pandora pause/play. It would be nice if we could skip songs in the Music player with the earbud though. The lack of voice command when you hold the mic button down is lame.

mindping

Reaction score
That's right. I've tried it only in Music, but I've heard it's the same in other apps. Skip song functionality doesn't work, the Volume Up and Down simply double as pause/play, and the Mic didn't work at all for me.

nka

Reaction score
That's right. I've tried it only in Music, but I've heard it's the same in other apps. Skip song functionality doesn't work, the Volume Up and Down simply double as pause/play, and the Mic didn't work at all for me.
The mic didn't work for calls? Did you try it with Skype?

mpenda

Reaction score
I too tried out my iPhone buds with the control button. It pauses and resumes play which is nice, but on my iPhone a double click would skip ahead and a triple click would restart/go back. I've been searching for an alternate music playback app that would perhaps add this functionality but so far, no luck.

mpenda

Reaction score
Well, I haven't actually switched yet!! I have one of each right now. My iPhone 3G was SO RIDICULOUSLY SLOW it was making me consider sending it to the bottom of the lake. But the newest firmware has fixed that.
The other reason is that I'm a Google user, including Google voice, and the integration with Google on the Droid is excellent. Its also on Verizon which in our area is a big plus over AT&T.

mpenda

Reaction score
One more reason I forgot to mention. I'm an Ubuntu user, and I have to keep a Microcrap machine running (or at least a virtual machine) to sync my iPhone. I'm hoping my options are better with the Droid and Ubuntu, but haven't gotten that far yet.

furiousDingo

Reaction score
Can you try this out with MixZing and let us know how it works. In MixZing's settings it says "Enable Headset Controls - Use Bluetooth and wired headset controls with MixZing" and I'm curious if those work because I'm thinking of getting Amazon.com: Shure MPA-3C Music Phone Adapter for iPhone: Electronics for my SE115s (if I can get confirmation that they would work with the Droid)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've got the In-ear Erabud with remote and mic, and everytime I plug it in it activates the party mix on the android media player. When I had Meridian player installed it had a little control but was really unstable, the remote was not working well at all.

mpenda

Reaction score
Sorry FuriousDingo, I didn't see your response until just today. Hope that doesn't make you more Furiouser.... :)
I DO have those settings set in MixZing, but its only limited functionality. It pauses, resumes and interrupts for phone calls. but no skips or repeats.

hydrolex99

Reaction score
To the original poster you say that you can talk on your Iphone mic with the Droid? Mine does not work, it functions as far as hearing the conversation but I cannot speak into the mic. I have verified that the mic does work, is this just me?

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
To the original poster you say that you can talk on your Iphone mic with the Droid? Mine does not work, it functions as far as hearing the conversation but I cannot speak into the mic. I have verified that the mic does work, is this just me?

I also have this problem. I love my earphones, but it doesn't do me a lot of good if the mic doesn't work.