iPhone 3GS vs. Droid - loading webpages (MY own video)

Bucknell2013

Reaction score
I ran my own test along side This video on 3g, and my droid Still beat the iPhone and barely trailed the Droid on the video.

I think it's been made clear that the Engadget test was not entirely accurate.

When it comes down to it, the difference in speed, relatively speaking, is not very different. The pages on all devices load quickly and to an extent these comparisons can get a little bit silly. As a mac owner and former iPhone owner, I've been on other apple forums when similar tests are done--and members often times will film videos that show results biased towards the iPhone...Correcting a "Biased" test.

However, I love my droid and would never go back to my old iPhone.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
There was nothing bias about my test. Both phones were connected to my home wifi and both had engadget.com loaded previously in the phone. I did the test in the most unbiased way possible.

When I do the 3g test later today, if the iphone wins, that's what my video will show.

The droid has a higher resolution screen, has multiple apps running along with widgets, and still beats the iphone. I think that says a lot about the power of the droid.

CGLOCK

Reaction score
I tested my droid just for fun and from the google to engadget it took 34 seconds the first time then I went back and cleared history, cache, & cookies and it took 48 seconds. Kinda odd how it was faster the first time even though I have never been to there site. (I am located in southeast Missouri on Verizon 3g) I tried it a 3rd time for fun and got 52 seconds on 3g with 4/5 bars signals...

whiddles

Reaction score
well what if you had the phones side by side and ran speedtest.net on both to see which on has better speeds. will this be accurate?

korp

Reaction score
well what if you had the phones side by side and ran speedtest.net on both to see which on has better speeds. will this be accurate?
That would show their network speed .... not the time it takes to render a webpage.

whiddles

Reaction score
someone try it anyway i want to know what people are getting on the AT&T. i just did it on my droid and got 1.30Mbps download and 0.19Mbps upload. what are you guys getting on 3g?

Newton122189

Reaction score
I sent [email protected] an email regarding the video, I put the youtube link in the email, the email read as such

Dear Joshua,

I just thought you might like to see this video. I feel like the video you used in your review of the Nexus One was very misleading and unfair to both the Droid and the Nexus One. I'm usually very impressed with everything I see on Engadget but that video really made me feel like you were biased and unfair towards the Android OS. Every video I have seen has shown the Droid and iPhone being almost exactly the same with the iPhone having a slight edge on 3G and the Droid a slight edge on WiFi. I feel like that video was pretty unprofessional since it obviously was not fair to the Droid or Nexus One. I'll be honest, I am very disappointed and that video has made me question the legitimacy of everything I have ever read on Engadget.

Youtube video of Droid and iPhone 3GS Browser Comparison on WiFI
[video=youtube;g-WaB9P93uo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WaB9P93uo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Sincerely,

Ryan

so hopefully I will get some sort of response, probably not but if I do I will make sure to share it with you guys, I cant imagine what he would have to say seeing as his video was such an obvious sham

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do you do Speedtest.net from the Droid? Doesn't it require flash or is there an app for it now? I know there is an iPhone app...

whiddles

Reaction score
tell me what you guys get. i thought my numbers where pretty good for a phone.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
I don't find that speedtest app very accurate. It's always different each time, even when I do it in the same spot on the same server.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
It will always be different depending on how many people are using the internet, what they are doing, if your phone is doing anything in the background connection-wise, how many people are testing to that server, etc. It is just a way to get an idea.

I did it twice to two different servers. It defaults to one in KS for some reason (something to do with Verizon's network maybe?) so the first is that server, the second is in NM, there weren't any in AZ :(

V 1363 ^ 556 ping was around 400
V 1121 ^ 647 ping was around 250

These speeds are blowing my home connection out of the water. Our home can't get cable or dsl so we have satellite. The most expensive plan that satellite offers averages around 1200 down and 30 (yes THIRTY) up when I use speedtest. Plus my ping from home is always in the thousands LOL

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
It will always be different depending on how many people are using the internet, what they are doing, if your phone is doing anything in the background connection-wise, how many people are testing to that server, etc. It is just a way to get an idea.

I did it twice to two different servers. It defaults to one in KS for some reason (something to do with Verizon's network maybe?) so the first is that server, the second is in NM, there weren't any in AZ :(

V 1363 ^ 556 ping was around 400
V 1121 ^ 647 ping was around 250

These speeds are blowing my home connection out of the water. Our home can't get cable or dsl so we have satellite. The most expensive plan that satellite offers averages around 1200 down and 30 (yes THIRTY) up when I use speedtest. Plus my ping from home is always in the thousands LOL

That's another thing.....the app doesn't list the correct servers. After you use it a few times, the servers near you will eventually pop up. It's a hit or miss. I don't know why they don't show up right away. yes, there are plenty of servers in AZ, but they just aren't showing up on your app yet.

mark1wat

Reaction score
3G

1. DL 816 kbps UL 619 kbps
2. DL 843 kbps UL 566 kbps

Wifi

1. DL 6,658 kbps UL 1,121 kbps
2. DL 6,224 kbps UL 1,104 kbps