Internal Memory Transfer

gsDroid

Reaction score
By internal memory, do you mean the internal storage sd card? And you want to transfer pictures, music, videos, downloads, etc. to the external microsd card? The easiest way to do that is to connect your bionic to the computer with the cable that came with the phone. Make sure that debugging is on and that you are in 'mass storage' mode for the usb settings. You will see your internal storage as the 'MOT' drive and the other drive will be your external microsd card. Copy the files you want from internal to external, then delete them from internal. If you are rooted, you can use something like Astro to do the same thing from the phone. If you are talking about programs and ram as opposed to storage, the bionic does not support installing programs to microsd unless you use some third party app like apps2sd, which is hit or miss.

OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
My story, somehow I was not saving photos and videos to SD Card. I've since corrected this because I have a 64 Gig SD Card installed and wanted to make use of my abundant memory.

After a recent Bluetooth photo transfer from my girlfriends Thunderbolt, I cannot open up my photo gallery because it say "internal memory full please delete some files".

My Bionic is not rooted, so it sounds like I need to use my laptop to do the transfer, is that correct??

I've looked into my files ,internal memory and dcim and it gives me the option to move files, but to where?? I do the moving of the files but it doesn't seem to show up on the SD Card.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can move them with your laptop, or with a File Manager app. I'm using Astro, but there are others.

gsDroid

Reaction score
On the bionic, sd card refers to internal memory. Sd-ext refers to the external microsd card. You want to copy the intended files from sdcard to sd-ext and then delete them from sdcard. That will free up internal memory. While it is easier to move many files by connecting to the computer and using windows file manager, you can use Astro or even the built-in 'Files' program on your bionic since you are rooted.. If you open 'Files' you will see 'Internal phone storage', 'SD card' (shows a picture of microsd card and in this case refers to the external card even though sd card means internal mem in most instances, so confusing), and 'Shared folders'. Navigate to the DCIM folder in internal memory > options > Select multiple > individually check the boxes > Move > go back to 'SD card' > navigate to DCIM > Move. This should copy the pictures to external and delete them from internal. Again, using the computer makes this far easier than Astro or Files on the phone.

OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I used my laptop to transfer the files from internal memory to SD Card. I was able to free up some space on internal memory by deleting some useless videos by going into my files, internal memory dcim and then just hand picked what I needed gone so I could open up my gallery like normal. Once I got to my laptop I then did the copy of 6.74 GB worth of photos and videos to SD Card and then deleted it from internal memory. I now have about 23GB available memory on my 64GB card.
When are the 128GB SD Cards coming out?

Thanks for all the information and advice :)