Intermittent Booting

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I just got my new Droid X moving up from the D1. I have a couple of intermittent reboots over the last couple day. It's not rooted right now, but was via z4root. I also have CM and SetCPU which are not functioning since the phone isn't currently rooted. The 2 times it rebooted was when I tried downloading MMS from Handcent. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

jellybean420

Reaction score
I just got my new Droid X moving up from the D1. I have a couple of intermittent reboots over the last couple day. It's not rooted right now, but was via z4root. I also have CM and SetCPU which are not functioning since the phone isn't currently rooted. The 2 times it rebooted was when I tried downloading MMS from Handcent. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Mine did alot when I had overclocking and memory optimizing apps installed. First step try removing setcpu whether your rooted or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
astevens54

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

Mine did alot when I had overclocking and memory optimizing apps installed. First step try removing setcpu whether your rooted or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Thanks, done. I will watch and see what happens.

wxwax

Reaction score
Chronic rebooting is part of the Droid X user experience.

There have been a lot of threads in a lot of forums about this problem. I have yet to read an explanation for why it happens. Nor is there a universal cure.

Motorola? Crickets.

My personal assumption is that since the original Droid didn't have this problem and also didn't have Verizon's funky software installed, the culprit is lousy software by Verizon.

Since that can't be uninstalled, if I'm right it's a permanent condition.

I'm extremely unhappy about it. I regret having bought a Droid X. I would never recommend it to anyone.

OP
astevens54

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Chronic rebooting is part of the Droid X user experience.

There have been a lot of threads in a lot of forums about this problem. I have yet to read an explanation for why it happens. Nor is there a universal cure.

Motorola? Crickets.

My personal assumption is that since the original Droid didn't have this problem and also didn't have Verizon's funky software installed, the culprit is lousy software by Verizon.

Since that can't be uninstalled, if I'm right it's a permanent condition.

I'm extremely unhappy about it. I regret having bought a Droid X. I would never recommend it to anyone.

It hasn't been that big of a problem for me. If gets worse I will root and flash it that will resolve the problem.

wxwax

Reaction score
It hasn't been that big of a problem for me. If gets worse I will root and flash it that will resolve the problem.
I don't know how to root and flash.

Why are you confident that will solve it?

XDRDX

Reaction score
I have seen this quite a bit and was usually caused by the user not having switched the kernel from the leaked 2.3.320 to the newest official 2.3.340 release kernel I would recommed if you haven't done that and were on the leak to reflash your kernel. I would also reroot and run fix permissions from inside of clockwork mod or root tools. If that doesn't fix it do a factory reset or sbf back to fresh loaded 2.3.340 and do a factory reset from within the OS and start again from the beginning.

If overclocking it could easily be from over or under volting during that operation.

There could also be the off chance that handcent is conflicting with some other installed software and factory reset try reinstalling it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
astevens54

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I don't know how to root and flash.

Why are you confident that will solve it?

Check it out in the forums, but it is a complete reload of the X. This replaces and remove the bloatware as well. Custom ROMs allow for theming and customizing.

wxwax

Reaction score
Check it out in the forums, but it is a complete reload of the X. This replaces and remove the bloatware as well. Custom ROMs allow for theming and customizing.
Thanks. So you also believe that the Verizon software is to blame?

XDRDX

Reaction score
Thanks. So you also believe that the Verizon software is to blame?

I highly doubt that. I believe that Verizon's software I'd bloat and slow's down the device but I have yet to see any reboot issues on a device that is completely stock with no root ever installed nor root requiring apps installed unless it is a soft reboot from being out of memory.

This can be fixed by installing memory booster lite and running it every so often. This frees memory currently being held that is no longer needed, it also does not require root.

wxwax

Reaction score
I highly doubt that. I believe that Verizon's software I'd bloat and slow's down the device but I have yet to see any reboot issues on a device that is completely stock with no root ever installed nor root requiring apps installed unless it is a soft reboot from being out of memory.

This can be fixed by installing memory booster lite and running it every so often. This frees memory currently being held that is no longer needed, it also does not require root.
Well, now you have.

Completely stock Droid X, reboots like Imelda Marcos in a cowboy store.

Thanks for suggesting Memory Booster Lite. I'll try it. I'm skeptical that I run out of memory, though, since my usage is bog standard.

XDRDX

Reaction score
In the about section does it show your version is 2.3.340 or 2.3.15? This used to happen in 2.3.15 prior to the 2.3.340 update.

I would recommend if you have never been rooted or not rooted since your last 2.3.340 SBF I would boot into recovery holding the home key. Then hit search button and do a factory reset then once into your is do a factory reset again within the OS from settings -> privacy -> factory reset.

Then only install handcent and see if it reboots again. This will cause you to loose all apps and settings.

Also is handcent installed to you SD Card or Internal memory. To check go to settings -> applications -> manage applications and see if it said sdcard. If it is on the SD card it could cause issues. Also I would try backed mg up my SD card and then doing a format from within settings. That may help also.

wxwax

Reaction score
In the about section does it show your version is 2.3.340 or 2.3.15? This used to happen in 2.3.15 prior to the 2.3.340 update.

I would recommend if you have never been rooted or not rooted since your last 2.3.340 SBF I would boot into recovery holding the home key. Then hit search button and do a factory reset then once into your is do a factory reset again within the OS from settings -> privacy -> factory reset.

Then only install handcent and see if it reboots again. This will cause you to loose all apps and settings.

Also is handcent installed to you SD Card or Internal memory. To check go to settings -> applications -> manage applications and see if it said sdcard. If it is on the SD card it could cause issues. Also I would try backed mg up my SD card and then doing a format from within settings. That may help also.

To the best of my memory it came installed, haven't updated operating system since purchase.

Hesitating to do a factory reset as I've read from others who've done so and still experienced reboots.

No Handcent on SD card or anywhere else. Used to have a non-Google chat app but uninstalled it when I thought it was a rebooting suspect.

I sure do appreciate your suggestions.

OP
astevens54

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
It's definitely Handcent SMS. My Droid rebooted twice this morning while trying to access a MMS in Handcent. The same MMS open in the stock message app with no problem. Handcent is not install on my SD card. I sure hate to stop using Handcent, I've used it for a long time and really like it.

RCFlyn

Reaction score
I don't have handsent, & I'm as stock as stock can be, & I just started getting the random reboots a couple days ago.sure is annoying getting woke up@2am by phone saying "dddrrrrrrooooooiiiiiiiiiddddddddd", just 2 find out it really wasn't a text message.. The only thing non-stock is I'm running go launcher ex, (& have LP &ADW, not running)... So, I don't think its handsent.....

Swyped from my DROIDX using DroidForums App