Insurance for Droid

lshall

Reaction score
What insurances do you guys have? I refused to buy from Verizon because I figured I could find better deals somewhere that cover accidental/etc. I have found Square Trade and Worth Ave. Group to be about the same price for 2 years.

What insurance do you recommend for the Droid 2?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I purchased the yearly insurance from VZW, which includes accidental damage.

wheeler32

Reaction score
I've gotta recommend SquareTrade. Less than half the cost of Verizon and includes liquid damage - even immersion, were you so inclined.

The deductible is a bit less, too.

umpire.20

Reaction score
I bought a Square Trade warranty rather than Verizon's. It covers accidental damage as well as phone malfunction and it was much cheaper than Verizon. I've never needed phone insurance in the past, so I guess I'm just trying another method.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I use Asurion, and recently had to place a claim due to my phone being run over. Placed the claim online on a thursday around 10pm and paid 89$. The phone was on it's way by midnight and in my hands friday afternoon. The timing must have been just right, because that is one heck return.

wheeler32

Reaction score
So the general consensus is to stay away from the warranty with Verizon; it's expensive and doesn't handle everything - I'm also thinking it isn't too quick on the replacement of your device.

@thatguychuck, what other costs go into a warranty from Asurion for your Droid?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's not a warranty, it's insurance.

umpire.20

Reaction score
I use Asurion, and recently had to place a claim due to my phone being run over. Placed the claim online on a thursday around 10pm and paid 89$. The phone was on it's way by midnight and in my hands friday afternoon. The timing must have been just right, because that is one heck return.

That's outstanding. You were certainly lucky with that transaction. :yeahbaby01:

FC127

Reaction score
A company called Worth Ave. Group offers a $59 annual premium and a $50 dollar deductible. When a claim is processed, it appears that they send you a check for a new phone instead of a replacement... Has anyone heard about this?

Lenagainster

Reaction score
A quick scan of the coverages of SquareTrade and Worth Ave Group indicates that there is NO coverage by SquareTrade in the event that your phone is lost or stolen. Worth Ave Group does cover a stolen phone. A significant difference in coverage, IMHO

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
IMO, people are having difficulty understanding the difference between a warranty and insurance.

Warranties typically cover technical and mechanical failure, while insurance typically will cover user damage, such as liquid damage or losing your device.

SquareTrade is an extended warranty. Asurion is insurance.

My point is that there is a huge difference between them, and people need to be aware of it before they start throwing money toward these services.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Another perspective on insurance:
Before getting two Droid 2s, I got a Droid 1 on eBay for $175.
That is my insurance.
If either of the D2s fail during the first year, Verizon will help me out.
If I lose or damage either of the D2s, the D1 will be a satisfactory substitute.
If something happens during the second year, there is the annual upgrade option.
If nothing happens to either D2 in 20 months, I can get my NE2 and have plenty of spare phones.
Going on six years with VZW and I only damaged one phone.
I feel comfortable taking my chances and not paying for insurance that experience has shown I don't need.

tiesto

Reaction score
I got the 2 year insurance that is eligible for 2 complete replacements. I've been known to break phones...