installing update.zip with out root

djspy

Reaction score
I unrooted my Droid 1 because it might be going back to Verizon. I booted my Droid 1 into recovery last night and noticed the option "install update.zip from SD Card" was available. this update.zip is the Ultimate Droid 10.0 ROM.

I was tempted to press it to see what would happen but didn't want to risk bricking the phone.

Anyone know what would happen if I install?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess is it would fail, just like the OTA fails with a Custom Recovery installed

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
My guess is that it would install UD10.0 with root and you'd have a rooted phone again.

The problem was that you (at one time) needed root to install a custom recovery (SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery). Now you can install the custom recovery (without root) using RSDLite. Custom recoveries allow you to install "unofficial" update.zip's....and if that update.zip is a ROM with root.....well now you have root.

There were a LOT of people installing the first leaks of Froyo 2.2 this way.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Unless you have a custom recovery installed (SPRecovery or Clockwork) you'll get a failure. The ROM update.zip isn't signed in such a way as the stock recovery would recognize.