hey this probably needs an experts help

Mr.Z

Reaction score
ok the history of my droid.....

1: stock
2: rooted (by SirPsychoS whatever that means) with BB
3: ultimate droid 3.7 (its android 2.1)
4: CURRENT: smoked glass (blue) 5.0
------i have recently downloaded the ROM manager app from the android store and it has replaced my config menu from that SirPsychoS thing)

problem #1: so from #3 onwards my browser icon got replaced and i cant seem how to get it back to the stock 2.0 icon...look at the attached pic to see what it currently looks like. its a pretty minor issue what i would really need help with is the next problem::::

problem #2: the new config menu of that ROM manager app does not allow me to install ROMs that are .rom.tgz only update.zip, and most of my favorites are update.zip now. so does anyone know how to change it back to the SirPsychoS thing? (i think its called flashing the recovery image) oh and i tried uninstalling it the recovery image thing is still the same.

FOrgive me if i get any of the terminology wrong im kinda new to hacking. (especially in problem #2)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the ROM manager app is what may have caused your problems. I'd like a second opinion, but if I were you, I'd scrap using that, and start all over from square one.

OP
M

Mr.Z

Reaction score
thats great id love to do that i have no clue how..ive uninstalled the app but when i turn on while holding x it still goes to the ROM manager's version of the menu

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I support scraping the whole deal and starting over.

Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid <-- That website is pretty good for getting that stuff done. I've given a direct link to go back to stock and *un*root. From there you would re-root and do all the things you did before, but I would suggest staying away from the app. Doing it by hand isn't hard once you've obtained root. Flashing ROMs at that point is a yawn while your phone boots up, basically.

That browser icon is built into 2.1 and actually, I'm pretty sure it's part of Smoked Glass too.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr.Z

Reaction score
thanks guys i appreciate it...and yea ur right its pretty easy switching ROMs, i just wanted to try this out and i couldnt figure out how to uninstall. Im checking out the link now

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
thanks guys i appreciate it...and yea ur right its pretty easy switching ROMs, i just wanted to try this out and i couldnt figure out how to uninstall. Im checking out the link now

Yeah, the idea of a ROM managing app doesnt sound like a good idea to me. The reason DMU works so well is because it's tailored to that specific ROM. I would expect that any similar program would need to be tailored specifically to each ROM it handles.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

If you have more questions, just post in this thread :p We'll get you fixed!

ok the history of my droid.....

1: stock
2: rooted (by SirPsychoS whatever that means) with BB
3: ultimate droid 3.7 (its android 2.1)
4: CURRENT: smoked glass (blue) 5.0
------i have recently downloaded the ROM manager app from the android store and it has replaced my config menu from that SirPsychoS thing)

problem #1: so from #3 onwards my browser icon got replaced and i cant seem how to get it back to the stock 2.0 icon...look at the attached pic to see what it currently looks like. its a pretty minor issue what i would really need help with is the next problem::::

problem #2: the new config menu of that ROM manager app does not allow me to install ROMs that are .rom.tgz only update.zip, and most of my favorites are update.zip now. so does anyone know how to change it back to the SirPsychoS thing? (i think its called flashing the recovery image) oh and i tried uninstalling it the recovery image thing is still the same.

FOrgive me if i get any of the terminology wrong im kinda new to hacking. (especially in problem #2)

A couple things I want to address here, for your sake.

SirPsychos SPRecovery: SPRecovery is the mainstream way to backup/restore and flash ROMs to your phone. Basically, when you start out, you flash the recovery_image to your phone via SU(superuser or root) commands and it replaces the stock recovery console thus giving you the ability to install custom update.zips.

SPRecovery goes a step further: You can create COMPLETE backups of the entire state of your phone should you want/need to return to it. They are called nandroid back ups. The 2.1 ROM 'flash' process generally uses this method because there is some flaw in the update.zip method.

SirPsychos SPRecovery has been and probably still is one of the most detrimental steps to rooting.... and saving our phones when we break them, lol

OP
M

Mr.Z

Reaction score
um it seems that the version of SPRecovery that ROM app is using did not properly install that unroot package from the link, when i pressed install update.zip it flashed something for a second and when it came time to reboot nothing happened i was still rooted with same ROM. so does anybody know how to get me back to SPRecovery?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone should take note and ignore this ROM app, seems like bad news. What exactly is it called?

I did some research, and this app uses ClockworkMod Recovery. Anyone have any familiarity with that?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr.Z

Reaction score
I installed DMU not long after installing that "ROM manager". (thats what its called btw) and since the beginning it has always show this: (attachment)

and perhaps i should rename the thread "help with clockwork recovery" so we can attract anyone familiar

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Yeah, everyone should take note and ignore this ROM app, seems like bad news. What exactly is it called?

I did some research, and this app uses ClockworkMod Recovery. Anyone have any familiarity with that?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it or the dev. I think the popularity of the recovery isn't there yet, which is the problem.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with it or the dev. I think the popularity of the recovery isn't there yet, which is the problem.

I dont mean bad news in the sense that the Dev is malicious, but he's clearly using something that doesnt have the tried and true seal on it. Googleing the name of the recovery software pretty much only provides results that are linked to the Dev.

I'm worried about other people using this app, and then jacking up their own recovery. That's the one thing you dont want to botch.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

I dont mean bad news in the sense that the Dev is malicious, but he's clearly using something that doesnt have the tried and true seal on it. Googleing the name of the recovery software pretty much only provides results that are linked to the Dev.

I'm worried about other people using this app, and then jacking up their own recovery. That's the one thing you dont want to botch.

That I agree with.

It does say some stuff about nandroid backups. I think I'll go flash this in and play with it. See if I can't figure it out some for myself :p

jr313

Reaction score
you need to install a new rcovery image is all...0.99.3b and u should be fine then you can install any other rom you would like...the clock work recovery is for use with the koush/cyanocen rom only...if you just reinstall sir psychos recovery it should be fine...