Installing cyanogen mod 7 on droid 2 - summary

prowler76

Reaction score
1) Root the phone using easy root
2) Install super user app
3) Update the super user app -Important step
4) Download Cyanogen ROM zip on to your SDCard (refer Motorola Droid 2: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki)
5) Download Gaaps if you are installing CM7 like me as it won't come with google apps)
6) Download RSDLite (can be downloaded from here RSDLite - download here), this might come handy if the ROM installation gets corrupted
7) Install Droid 2 Bootstrapper
8) First do bootstrap recovery, then reboot into recovery
9) Wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache - These steps are really important
10) Install from zip in recovery menu
11) Once installation is done, go back to recovery menu and select install from zip to install gaaps
12) Reboot, you should see Cyanogen in your phone

As I mentioned above, if the installation is corrupted you have to get into bootloader menu by pressing power button and volume up,down button simultaneously. Connect the phone to the pc and run RSDlite. Once RSDLite detects the phone, one can go back to the original D2 version(lot of threads detailing the same)

Hope this helps all the noobs like me :)

siriusgamer

Reaction score
Question, can the official nightlies be flashed over the OTA GB, or are they still on froyo? And once your on CM7, would you have to SBF back to stock or could you restore from a backup of the stock ROM?

pressguy27

Reaction score
Question, can the official nightlies be flashed over the OTA GB, or are they still on froyo? And once your on CM7, would you have to SBF back to stock or could you restore from a backup of the stock ROM?

the official nightlies are on froyo so you would have to use revnumbers unofficial nightlies, and yes if you made a backup of stock you can flash back from cm7.

Sent from my DROID2 using CM7-GB

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question, can the official nightlies be flashed over the OTA GB, or are they still on froyo? And once your on CM7, would you have to SBF back to stock or could you restore from a backup of the stock ROM?[/QUOTE

I would stay on ota gb and just stick with revs builds. They run fantastic. The latest is 12/19 and can be found on rootz.

Last edited:
OP
P

prowler76

Reaction score
Yes, the official nightlies can be flashed over the OTA GB. If the installation is clean first time then we don't have to SBF back to stock but mine was not clean so had to SBF back to stock and re-installed it from there.