Insane battery drain happening :(

SnakeTangler

Reaction score
Okay, right now I am using UD 1.0.0. Yesterday I downloaded and installed the new 2.5.0. I didn't like it at all, so I went into clockworkmod recovery and went to 'wipe data' first. I did it, and oddly the phone blacked out and rebooted and got stuck on the 'M' logo. I did a battery pull and went back to recovery and did 'clear cache' and then I went to the 'nandroid' section to do a restore of a backup of 1.0.0 I did earlier. I've never had to restore before did I do it right? After that, I noticed my battery was seeming to drain very fast, much much faster than normal, so I went back to clockworkmod recovery, cleared data and cache, but this time I also cleared the dalvik just because I guess. I then went to 'install update from sd' and I chose the UD 1.0.0 zip on the root of my sd for a fresh install, and installed it. I thought I'd give it a shot to see if my battery life improved but no good :/ I've never had a problem with it till all this business with trying the new rom and then reverting. I looked at what was eating up most of the battery and for a while it was saying it was 'Phone Standby'. I did the *228 thing but it's still not helped. Could someone please help me, I don't know what to do and I don't know a lot about this stuff. Thank you very much

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can try resetting your battery stats in clockwork. Run your battery completely dry & then charge it until you're completely full, then wipe battery stats. Let it run dry a few times before you start short charging it again.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually you probably just want to do a full factory reset, cache/data wipe 3 times, & then reinstall a backup from recovery or just reinstall the Rom from scratch. It doesn't really sound like a battery problem. More lIke something got screwed up somewhere.

JasonAsWell

Reaction score
The last thing you want to do is bottom out a lithium battery. I would buy a new batt.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wiping batt stats is a good idea. Also install 2.5 on a full charge. If u go into see what is using your battery and u only see like 3 things listed then your batt stats are out of wack.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any time I'm having an issue with a rom, the first thing I do it to simply reinstall the rom with no wipes. That is definitely what I'd do in your case. I do not mean to redo the restore. I mean to put the UD 1.0 rom on the sdcard and reinstall it. Do not wipe.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
The last thing you want to do is bottom out a lithium battery. I would buy a new batt.

Do you mean drain it completely? That's controlled by the kernel. Wiping the battery stats just makes the CPU remark where 100 & 0 percent are as directed by the kernel.

Anyway the OP's issue is in the rom.

JimmyCarbone

Reaction score
Do you mean drain it completely? That's controlled by the kernel. Wiping the battery stats just makes the CPU remark where 100 & 0 percent are as directed by the kernel.

truth. lithium batteries themselves have no memory the way say a rechargeable NiCad battery does.

OP
S

SnakeTangler

Reaction score
Okay well, I decided that I would just go ahead and upgrade to 2.5.0 and stick with it just to see if it changed my situation at all. For a while, every time I tried to go into clockworkmod recovery to wipe data and cache, it would freeze up before I could even navigate the menu much, then the phone would just reset and that's it. Now I can't even get into recovery. The phone just freezes at the 'M' logo. What should I do now??

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First, go into Rom Manager and reflash Clockwork over and over until you get the popup telling you that Clockwork has successfully installed within 3-5 seconds of starting.

Then it should go into Clockwork. Once in Clockwork, if it fails to respond to an input that means it's going to reboot. When it reboots, immediately press the X on the keyboard and hold it. The phone will then reboot back into Clockwork and it has never rebooted after that for me. So it should work fine for the rest of that session.

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
Well it sounds like you are having similar problems as I. My problems started pretty much out of nowhere with no kind of change to the ROM or kernel that I was using. Just one day my phone only stayed charged for like 8 hours and that was with just moderate use.
So I figured it was my battery that was shot. Well I was WRONG, the new batter (extended D2 battery) didnt even help much, only got me about another hour out of it.

Since then I have done just about everything possible to get my battery life back to what it was, where I could go 24+ hours without having to charge at all.

Just another TIP for ya'll, you can go in and manually 'reset' your battery stats. Using Root Explorer:
data>system> batterystats.bin, long press, then delete.
Make sure that you are 100% charged when you get rid of this. Same as if you were to do it in CW. I feel like this one actually doesn something, in CW I dont get anything telling me that it was successful so I like to do it this way.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your battery use is saying phone standby or something weird like that is eating up most of your juice it is something to do with your rom. I'd probably do a full wipe (data cache factory reset) & reinstall. Possibly 2 or 3 times. I know I was having major issues when I made the switch from bbv0.5 to UD2.0 & I had to sbf back to stock 2.0.1 & reroot to get it sorted.

I think when you clear your dalvik or flash a new rom it's going to take a little while to cache all the assets so I'd give it acouple of days to settle in & see what happens. Then maybe try a battery stat wipe to get your battery in line with everything else.