Initial thoughts on X2

Zetsumei

Reaction score
These are my initial thoughts on the x2... After going through 2 different devices in the last 2 months, I think I finally have found a winner. I initially had the Thunderbolt, but had HUGE physical problems w/ the phone, not saying everyone will just unlucky on my end. The 2nd phone I had was the Charge, the only thing that phone had going for it imo was the super amoled + display, not too worried about 4G (to each their own). I picked up the x2 in store on the 26th since I did the swap from charge to x2, didn't feel like paying another 200 since they stated they cant do an even exchange for an item they don't have in store. I was hoping they could dfill even exchange on the 19th, but guess not :x.

I must say though, this phone even though pretty much identical to the X in practically every cosmetic sense possible except for the color, screen resolution and no more camera button. But I must say though it does feel like a different device all over again mainly with the processor upgrade, and new blur UI which I don't use, but definitely an improvement! The phone seems solid and well constructed only oddity I noticed is the rattling noise in the earpiece/camera area that I found by playing a game that requires you to shift your phone around. So I went into the store and a nice rep came out with a brand new model out of the box, and the phone produced the same effect, rattling from the earpiece area when shook. I'm not really too concerned about that, as call quality is superb and I had only 1 audio issue which I'm convinced was a fluke. Audio sounded tinny for a bit, and sounded like the earpiece was loose, but that hasn't happened since.

Now for all the OCDer's out there, and the number 1 pet peeve... Dust under the screen. I didn't do an initial examination before I had zagg slap on a screen protector, so it's hard for me to tell. All I know is they didn't wipe my screen down before they put it on, so there is butt loads of dust under the protector (which I am going to get swapped out today). I think I might of viewed a spec or two, probably from initial manufacturing, which I will care less about due to me not wanting to swap it out and have the chance of ending up with a truly defective device. My thing is, as long as I cant see it when I'm using it, and it doesn't affect performance, care torrent = 0% :icon_ banana:dancedroid. But I will see later tonight after I have zagg redo my screen protector.

The camera I do find to be a little grainy even with 8MP selected, but not too much of an issue still fairly decent quality pictures. Battery life I say has been great, I steam Pandora 5-6 hours a night and I don't need to stick the ball and chain to the phone. Call quality as stated from above is magnificent, best quality out of all the VZW smartphones I've used. Touch response is great, and stays true even when loading desktop sites w/ a lot of flash content on the site. The X2 doesn't get slowed down at all when flinging through Engadget w/ full flash content on, where the charge would freeze , and the screen would be come unresponsive. The dual core is to thank for that, makes me agree more with some of the speculations that dual core possibly has issues w/ the lte radio, hence why htc and sammy didn't release dual core goodness on their first vzw 4g phones?

To conclude I must say that the x2 has been nothing but a pleasant experience for me, so much to the point where I don't care about the lack of 4G which was an initial concern, but has been washed away. I can stream HQ youtube videos without any pauses for buffering, and that is satisfactory in my eyes. If you really don't care about LTE due to the fact that say its not in your area, and wont be for months/years. Or if you don't want 4G due to it being more taxing on your battery than 3G, for the price I'd say this phone is a great upgrade option. Any other thoughts and opinions from you guys?

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Don't have it, but it looks cool.
I would love a dual core processor, but its too bad i cant get an upgrade for a while.

And I too don't need 4G. Its in my area, but im fine with 3G. Its fast enough.

OP
Z

Zetsumei

Reaction score
I would love a dual core processor, but its too bad i cant get an upgrade for a while.

The OG X is still one bad ass phone for sure!dancedroid

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

Yea it works fine I still is good compared to some 2011 phones.

I would upgrade to an X2 if I could, because I really like the design on the X. And since its very similar, id like the X2 as well.

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
I just bought an X2 recently (May 24th). Verizon was kind enough to overnight it to me for free since I bought it online.

Couple things bother me, so far:

1) OS needs more optimizations (i.e. performance should be better)
2) Motorola services hog resources unnecessarily even when not in use
3) Color banding and cross-hatching in the display (colors are slightly off, as well)
4) Random crashes

I'll elaborate on 4: first I thought it was an application incompatibility that was causing the crashes (full reboot). Not it. I wiped my phone and it crashed within 2 minutes of setting it back up. I was multitasking heavily and downloading multiple things at the same time - reboot. Started watching TopGear on YouTube, which looked quite nice on the screen mind you, and it rebooted after about 3 minutes into the clip.

Could be a defective phone. We'll see. It works flawlessly otherwise.

Reaction score
I read a very long review on it today and the guy said he doesn't recommend this phone. He said the screen wasn't that great to look at, is this true?. And he also said it's slow because of the ninjablur crap they put on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
It might be a good idea to wait a bit. I do love the X/X2's form factor and physical feel.

Motorola (or Nvidia, really) might be able to make some driver side changes to improve the calibration and reduce certain issues. You will notice the screen displays things completely differently from the original X. I had the original Droid, and the color was definitely better.

The X2's display, though, isn't terrible and it is ridiculously bright.

OP
Z

Zetsumei

Reaction score
I read a very long review on it today and the guy said he doesn't recommend this phone. He said the screen wasn't that great to look at, is this true?. And he also said it's slow because of the ninjablur crap they put on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That's his own personal opinion, there will be tons of biased opinions/reviews about it. I personally had the Charge which has a super moled + and I have zero issues w/ the display. Sure the colors arent as rich but they look natrual, all images on the phone are very sharp due to qHD. The phone is very responsive and snappy, full flash site ie engadget no you can flick through the entire website and this phone eats it up like nothing. Where as the charge it would freeze in place for like 3-4 seconds lose responsiveness then scroll down VERY slowly. The blur has been improved and you can take all those widgets away if you dont like em. I personally just loaded ADW the moment I got it. I've gotten like 3k in gaming and productivity in smart bench 2011 all stock.

It plays all the games I want it to with pretty high fps 40-60's, loads fast, GREAT GREAT call quality, I can have the earpiece at like 10%-15% the absolute lowest the earpiece can go while driving with my window open and still hear people perfectly, and they cant even hear the wind due to noise cancellation.

So imo you should go look at it and try it out, and decide for yourself when it comes to these things.

R

rushmore

Display perspective is too subjective, but I find the contrast, brightness, sharpness and color- better than the already great DX1. The Dx2 makes the Rev and TB seem washed out, in comparison.

I am a picky SOB and give thumbs up to the DX2 for build, speed, radio reception, display, battery life and form factor (easier to operate one handed than the other 4.3" devices). Rooted wifi tether works great too!

Still, some issues need addressing ASAP:

1. MP3 and other music clicks, pops and skip- especially when multitasking. Sound and video in movies do not, which is strange.

2. Flash can hang in the background, even when you exit. It sometimes makes the device run very warm (114 degrees). Flash also plays warmer (i seems) since the 10.3 update.

3. A lot of Flash sites get forced to mobile sites, in spite of changing the US string in stock browser and desktop mode in the other browsers.

My Incredible does not have any of these issues and neither does the gTablet (same chipset, 512mb ram and runs Froyo).

cece5702

Reaction score

Yes I agree and I chose the X over X2 :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

SPG900NY

Reaction score
1. MP3 and other music clicks, pops and skip- especially when multitasking. Sound and video in movies do not, which is strange.

This is EXTREMELY annoying. I get it before song starts and after it ends. It's almost like the sound channel shuts down and the restarts before and after each song. It's going to kill my car's speakers. My OG Droid did NOT do this.

p1ngputts

Reaction score
im just hoping either gingerbread fixes these bugs or a quick update fixes these issues. Until that first update I won't complain too much. The phone is awesome! But I think my OG Droid had less problems.

Elkay

Reaction score
Good luck with Gingerbread on the X2. We won't see it for 3-6 months most likely. It's just been stated that the Droid 3 is going to be coming with Froyo now too, and that isn't even close to getting a release date. If they'll release the D3 that far down the road still running Froyo, I see no push from them to get Gingerbread out to us on the X2.

Horrible decision of Moto. Even Sony-Ericcson just released a GB phone, and it's vanilla at that. I just don't get it.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Seems strange that GB isn't on the X2. It cant be a night and day difference from the X1 can it? Maybe it has to do with the new cpu not playing nice with GB.