Individual Custom Ringtones

hackja4fun

Reaction score
Heres what I have found so far

1. Ringtones from Gmail contacts do not work but local contacts do
2. as soon as you merge a local contact with a gmail contact the ringtone stops working o_O

this has been tested and verified by me... Test yourself

Now we need to figure out how to make it easy

please discuss your tests and idea's

BTW: this is not a Liberty ROM issues as I think this is a common issue with all AOSP android devices....

I will make this a sticky until we figure something out

I have tried this method by deleting my wife as a contact and entering her info back in just as a phone contact and still no dice.

the local account can not be linked up to your gmail account at all.

Excellent work on the liberty rom. One of the most customizable roms yet. All it needs now is an option to change colors in the status bar and pulldown like Cyanogen Mod. I miss my Evo stock blackbar. Not hard to place it on my phone, but it would be excellent for the newer people to have an easy method of doing things.

cydetrakd

Reaction score
I spent some time on that yesterday and replaced all related pieces out of the framework.jar... still didn't work though...

Will work on it again Monday.... got the kids this weekend and on top of that, its playoffs weekend

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

i hope you can work things out on this issue its a big deal to me as i always keep my phone in its case and use the custom ringtones my caller id since its a hassle getting the phone out of the case especially in the car.

its would be nice if you don't find a solution have an option to use the blur dialer for the people like myself who really enjoying having the freedom of custom ringtones regardless enjoy the weekend.. dont stress out with the kids and enjoy the game. great work on the rom my d2 is in heaven just need those custom tones.

dfitz

Reaction score
You could get the WhoIsIt app in the market and that should allow you to set individual ringtones for any contact. You can even put specific text message or email notifications on a per user basis.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
I just assigned a custom ringtone and it worked! I have every contact synced with gmail.

Go to view a contact / menu / options / ringtone / select your "custom" ringtone / hit Ok / and the most important part..........exit all the way to the home page using the back button.

This is exactly what I did and worked for me, other methods of assigning ringtones failed. I only have one phone to try this on (the wifes) so I couldn't test on different contacts, hope it works for everyone. :)

Last edited:

acroyle

Reaction score
I just assigned a custom ringtone and it worked! I have every contact synced with gmail.

Go to view a contact / menu / options / ringtone / select your "custom" ringtone / hit Ok / and the most important part..........exit all the way to the home page using the back button.

This is exactly what I did and worked for me, other methods of assigning ringtones failed. I only have one phone to try this on (the wifes) so I couldn't test on different contacts, hope it works for everyone. :)

Tried it and.... didn't work. Haha. Oh well.

thahandyman

Reaction score
didnt work for me either..... keep in mind sometimes a custom ringtone will work once, twice, 3 times in a row, but ive never got it to work all the time. im pretty sure based on the pure fantasticness of liberty that kejar will figure something out. in the event he doesnt well at least ive got a fast/stable rom to consol me

Growler48

Reaction score
didnt work for me either..... keep in mind sometimes a custom ringtone will work once, twice, 3 times in a row, but ive never got it to work all the time. im pretty sure based on the pure fantasticness of liberty that kejar will figure something out. in the event he doesnt well at least ive got a fast/stable rom to consol me

+1 - This has also been my experience.

mtcawirtz

Reaction score

+1 - This has also been my experience.

Me too. Love the ROM btw

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
hmm, my custom ringtones never worked on Gummy but they do work on Liberty and this goes with my any contacts I have on my phone and synced to gmail aswell

When I click on a contact and click options and click "ringtone"

snap20110116_212158.png

and then I choose select music and set it and it sticks....
Never had to do anything special

Reaction score
I don't care about individual ringtones, How can I get my Mp3 back as the default ringtone?

Use an app to do it - Ringdroid, winamp, poweramp, etc... They will all work for setting the default ringtone.

Thanks Ringdroid worked, for some reason I do not get the menu the poster above me has in his screenshot, it just automatically goes to the "Android System"

PerCompLLC

Reaction score
I don't care about individual ringtones, How can I get my Mp3 back as the default ringtone?

Use an app to do it - Ringdroid, winamp, poweramp, etc... They will all work for setting the default ringtone.

Thanks Ringdroid worked, for some reason I do not get the menu the poster above me has in his screenshot, it just automatically goes to the "Android System"

Yeah, Ringdroid doesn't present that option... I don't know why some apps do and some don't.

acroyle

Reaction score
that "select music" option is if you have handcent on your phone. i just tried it with 3 different contacts and it didn't work for any of them.

Inkarnit

Reaction score
I'm confused here as well. I only have one custom ringtone set, for my girlfriend, and every time she calls I get her ringtone. She is in my phone as a google contact (twice for some reason) and a facebook contact. All 3 "versions" are merged into the one contact and under options I have a ringtone selected for her... and it works. I dunno.