Incredible on the 150mb plan--suggestions please

jck31

Reaction score
I know a lot of you are gonna try to convince me to switch to the unlimited, but I just got the incredible and am under the 150mb/month plan. With that being said, i'm doing a lot to prevent myself from going over since I figured most of the time I'd be in wifi areas (home/school). Do you guys have any suggestions/tricks to reducing data usage?

I disabled the 3G with the *#*#INFO#*#*

I also downloaded and am using the advanced task killer

Anything else?

Viper323

Reaction score
I know a lot of you are gonna try to convince me to switch to the unlimited, but I just got the incredible and am under the 150mb/month plan. With that being said, i'm doing a lot to prevent myself from going over since I figured most of the time I'd be in wifi areas (home/school). Do you guys have any suggestions/tricks to reducing data usage?

I disabled the 3G with the *#*#INFO#*#*

Anything else?

I can't think of much to tell you, just don't use any apps that use the internet? You can try using Opera Mini for a web browser, it compresses the data across the network so it uses less data. Besides that I'd just be really careful and use wifi every chance I get!

OP
J

jck31

Reaction score
Well I'm using wifi the entire time pretty much since I won't really be out of the wifi range at school... therefore it shouldn't really matter if my apps use the internet, correct?

And if I wish to use 3g, I can just undo the previous setting... right?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's not going to help.

Well I'm using wifi the entire time pretty much since I won't really be out of the wifi range at school... therefore it shouldn't really matter if my apps use the internet, correct?
Assuming you never lose WiFi coverage but you might want to carefully check your WiFi sleep policy before assuming you're good to go. I'd suggest at least running unlimited for a month or you'll find out what expensive really means when you're hit with overages while you are working on ensuring that your setup actually keeps you under 150MB/mo.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Really all you need to do is put it in airplane mode then turn on wifi and done. No 3g.

Also ditch the task killer you will thank us later for the headaches we saved you.

Sent from somewhere...

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
I kno u said ppl would prob convince u to swith to unlimited, I am one of them. In my eyes the point of a droid is for internet and data usage. 150mb would mayb get me thru half a day. Last month I used over 3gb of data. I'm not sure how much of a price per month difference there is between 150mb and unlimited, but even if I barely used data id still have unlimited just to avoid the 1.99mb overage charges. I hate to worry wat my bill could b... id rather kno per month exactly wat it is without guessing or worrying

<Rooted droid ally>
>> velocity 0.3 <<
>>running turbo4<<

OP
J

jck31

Reaction score
I read up on ATK--- it's gone, so we don't have to worry about that.

Also, don't try convincing me to switch to the unlimited, that's not what I'm looking for at all.

I've turned off 3G and never use it because I don't need it, except in rare instances where I need information and am not within a wifi area. People need to understand that I'll be using wifi 99% of the time, so data usage will be minimal. With that being said, any other suggestions? When I do use 3G, I'm sure to turn off the auto sync so no data is used there and then turn off the mobile network as soon as I'm done.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@jck

you seem to have a good handle on how to keep yourself from going over data usage.

Glad to see you read up on the task killers and decided to remove it as well :)

As jstafford said, airplane mode is your best friend!

Iowa

Reaction score
I would say your good to go man. Good luck and keep yourself in airplane mode.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

joker402

Reaction score
umm add the data widget and keep an eye on it, keeping it in airplane mode isnt going to help when you cant get calls or text, also always have the "avalible wifi networks" on and connect to those

stormchaser03

Reaction score
just check my online acct, i have used 209.megs in 11 day's
i would say 1/4 of the time i'm on my home wi-fi,of course
this is a new phone and i'm still learning and playing with it,
but i have noticed it like to talk to the towers overnight.

dan.dar

Reaction score
I'm on 150MB plan as well. I used 255MB of data in the first 3 days of owning my droid (got it on 2nd day of billing cycle). I then went to vzw.com and switched to unlimited starting with beginning of the billing cycle (retroactively). After getting the phone configured to use wifi at home, work, parents and parents in law houses I switched back to 150MB plan starting on the then current day. So as far as VZW is concerned I was on unlimited plan through first seven days of my billing cycle and 150MB plan since.

Since I switched back to 150MB plan I only used 5MB in 9 days and it's not like I'm paying special attention. Once configured with wifi my Palm Pre used about 70MB of data per month, Droid maybe will use about a 100.

So the only thing I shouldn't do is use Pandora on my drive to/from work or download videos (youtube) while outside which pretty much never happens. No big deal and I'm saving $15 per month.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I really can't see using anything other than an unlimited plan...
It's like buying a 4x4 and never using 4 wheel drive....

Jug the Thug

Reaction score
I got a DX im on unlimited but I want to look at my data counter for fun where is it?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Jeyman

Reaction score
is there a 1GB or 2GB plan? even if its $10 more a month. with 1GB and a decent set up you wont have to care. I take it you are going for "as cheap as can be" and Im with you on that. But I dont think 150mb for a droid is smart. It can blow by that if you just forget to turn off 3G in a matter of a day.

Anyways, you seem to have a grip on what to do, really the best way is to keep an eye out. dont have apps that run in the background using internet data (on the off shot you need 3g sometime.)

Wish you the best of luck with this, just seems like to much work to save a few dollars im one of them data hogs though using like 5-10GB a month lol, but hay if you can do it, more power to you man.

Id like to ask that after a month or two could you make a new thread and tell us how it works out if its not to much. Give people who might be in the same boat as you an idea of how well it works. You sound like someone who at least understands what an app is(maybe more I just can not tell), and not that 90 year old man who never will use the net lol

I got a DX im on unlimited but I want to look at my data counter for fun where is it?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
data can be seen on your statement, or if you DL the verizon app from their store.