Inc2 breaks after uninstalling stuff?

efbld2f

Reaction score
So I downloaded some stuff off the Market a few weeks ago, but when I uninstalled it, all of a sudden I had no access to the Market and a few apps (not the uninstalled ones).

The apps, as well as Market, gave an error similar to, "the application this shortcut points to cannot be found." Again, I am positive that I did not uninstall the apps in question. Further, this phone is not rooted and running 2.3.3.

When I restarted the phone, it hung for a good 30 minutes at the splash screen. I removed the battery and gave it a few minutes then restarted again and it would hit the red splash screen then restart. And over and over and over.

I did a hard reset and it fixed everything, but the same thing happened again a few days ago. It's not like I'm getting low rated or off-Market apps. I did another hard reset and here we are.

Incidentally, when I try to uninstall some apps, the uninstall button doesn't work. It flashes briefly when pressed, but does not respond. Also, the data area where it reads "total", "application", and "Data" cycle through numbers really quickly for several seconds before stopping. If I press uninstall fast enough and enough times, it will eventually catch and work.

This happens even if I Clear Data, Force Stop, Restart, etc.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to factory reset under sdcard and storage menu. It will erase everything but sounds like it will fix your issues.

Sent from my Incredible 2

OP
E

efbld2f

Reaction score
That is the only way to (temporarily) fix it. But twice this has happened and twice I have had to hard reset in order to use the phone again. It doesn't seem possible that it could be a hardware issue, so maybe it's a faulty software issue? This problem happens when I use apps that I've been using for months or longer. Though only on this new Inc2 does this problem occurs.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes it does sound like a software issue, but if a factory reset isn't fixing it then idk what is wrong. The numbers cycling is a known issue, you just need to hit back and then enter the app again. You can try finding another market apk, (I think droid-life has one) and installing that. Or you can call Verizon or try to root it and put a different rom onto to it. I was unrooted for a little over a month and did have similar problems, but they were fixed after a factory reset. I didnt have it unrooted long enough to know if these are common problems. If you don't feel comfortable rooting I would call Verizon or better yet HTC to see if any of these software issues have been fixed an if they can offer a solution. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. And if you do decide to root it is import that you make a backup through rom manger before you do anything else after root.

OP
E

efbld2f

Reaction score
I'll call HTC tomorrow and pick their brains. However, if I could root 2.3, I would definitely do it immediately. Have they made a noob-proof root app like Unrevoked for 2.3 that works with the Incredible 2, yet?

Incidentally, it happened again today. Full factory reset fixed it until the next time..

JoeyJ

Reaction score
I had this same problem happen to me twice also. The first time it erased all my contacts and I couldn't go to gmail or the market. Also the backup assistant didn't work. The second time my contacts stayed but gmail and the market were gone and the setup app would force close everytime I tried to add a Google account.

Don't know if there is any connection but it happened the same day my phone did an update.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

kingsway8605

Reaction score
It is a bug in the inc 2 software. If your ever tried to uninstall something through the settings and saw everything flashing, that is related.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk