I'm that guy... ! The scaredy cat!

ufearme3

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been meaning to register for a while, finally got around to it!

I got the Droid about 8 months ago. I love it dearly. My wife is jealous of it. It's a bit tense in the house... I can't leave my Droid alone with her! jk!

I'm a tech savvy person... in fact, very tech savvy compared to most people I meet... but I'll admit it: I'm a little scared to root my Droid! I want things like overclocking and different ROMS and the 2.1 update about 6 months ago! But for some reason... I'm a little scared and confused on instructions on how to. It's totally me... the directions on here are awesome. I just need to man up and attempt it. One day... soon! Maybe after the 2.1 update comes out....

Am I alone on this? Any other tech scaredy cats out there?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
That was me.... all I can tell you is DroidMod dude... for first timers it's the easiest.... just click the download link and follow instructions... then start slow learning step by step and do a backup everytime you try something new....

If you don't like it or want the 2.1 update just use the dmupdater to return to stock whenever you want...

Easy.. safe.. and instantly reversable.. takes 3 min to go back to stock

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I got the Droid about 8 months ago. I love it dearly. My wife is jealous of it. It's a bit tense in the house... I can't leave my Droid alone with her! jk!

I'm a tech savvy person... in fact, very tech savvy compared to most people I meet... but I'll admit it: I'm a little scared to root my Droid! I want things like overclocking and different ROMS and the 2.1 update about 6 months ago! But for some reason... I'm a little scared and confused on instructions on how to. It's totally me... the directions on here are awesome. I just need to man up and attempt it. One day... soon! Maybe after the 2.1 update comes out....

has the droid even been out 8 months?!?!?

fr4c

Reaction score
Welcome! Since 2.1 OTA is currently undergoing, maybe I suggest waiting for a bit first before you attempt to root. I see a lot of rooted Droid owners switching back to stock for the update, and new roms with the new build should follow shortly after.

The root process is fairly easy now with all the tools out, and theres tons of guides and support here on the forums. Good luck and enjoy!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

:welcome: to the forum. No, you're not alone I'm sure many people feel the same way you do and it's OK just to wait on the update. That's what I'm doing and I've rooted and gone back to stock 3 times. Doesn't make me brave, just a bit more curious.

Now about the 8 month thing. That would be quite a feat considering Droid Just came out in November.:) Then again maybe you have a source?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! When I first got my phone, I had not idea what rooting was nor did I have any intention of rooting(hacking). About six weeks after I purchased my Droid I rooted and have not had any regrets.

Here are my thoughts about rooting:

If you are considering rooting your phone, I suggest that you go to the Droid Hacking section of the forum and read as many threads as possible. There are several videos on YouTube that step you through the rooting process. Some processes such as, DMUpdater (Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms), do a lot of the work for you. Other processes such as Matth3W's tutorial (Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc)) require you to enter the SU (super user) commands yourself. Rom manager is a new application that has just been released. I've not used that particular app so I'm not comfortable providing any suggestions. I prefer the hands on approach so I used Matt's tutorial to root my phone.

Recently, a new tool, Rom Manager, was released. You should spend time reviewing this process as well. Here is a link (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bl...how-install-ultimatedroid-roms-step-step.html) that may help. While the link focuses on A specific rom it will give you a flavor of how the tool works.

The newest rom releases are 2.1. Since you are moving from stock which is a 2.0.1 you will need to wipe your data and cache.

At first, all of this may seem daunting, but if you prepare by reading, making notes, etc you will successfully root your phone. There will be someone here to help you every step of the way.

Hope this helps and gets you started.

Mike

OP
U

ufearme3

Reaction score

has the droid even been out 8 months?!?!?

Sorry you're right, I was guest-imating! I'm never good with dates... which is why I forget anniversaries, birthdays, events.... maybe the Droid will actually be the only one left for me! :icon_eek:

To everyone, thanks for the encouragement. One thing I am doing is reading every thread and watching every video on the subject... I actually bookmarked relevant sites for the split decision to take the plunge! I'm adding the ones you guys listed. Thanks again! :icon_ banana: <-- never a reason needed to insert a dancing banana!