I'm almost a Droid owner and have a quick question

Harimwakairi

Reaction score
So my "New Every Two" day with Verizon is tomorrow, and I'm planning to buy a Droid, since they seem to rock. I have a question about pricing, though, if this is something y'all might know about.

Right now Verizon lists the phone at $200 after all the rebates if you buy it online. I assume it's also this price if you buy it in their store. If I go to Dell's website, however:

Dell Mobility Store

They quote me a price of $49.99. However, I'm a 450 minutes/month user, and the price Dell quotes for that plan is $59.99 per month, same as the 900. Verizon, on the other hand, prices the 450 plan at 39.99.

Are my choices here to get the phone at a $150 discount and then pay a ridiculous price for the plan, or to pay a larger price for the phone so I can have a monthly bill that is what verizon says it should be?

Reaction score
:welcome: to the site, I think I would rather pay the 199 at verizon and keep a lower monthly bill thats just me. You would save money in the long run I guess, really its up to you though

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
So my "New Every Two" day with Verizon is tomorrow, and I'm planning to buy a Droid, since they seem to rock. I have a question about pricing, though, if this is something y'all might know about.

Right now Verizon lists the phone at $200 after all the rebates if you buy it online. I assume it's also this price if you buy it in their store. If I go to Dell's website, however:

Dell Mobility Store

They quote me a price of $49.99. However, I'm a 450 minutes/month user, and the price Dell quotes for that plan is $59.99 per month, same as the 900. Verizon, on the other hand, prices the 450 plan at 39.99.

Are my choices here to get the phone at a $150 discount and then pay a ridiculous price for the plan, or to pay a larger price for the phone so I can have a monthly bill that is what verizon says it should be?

Or you can just goto wirefly or amazon and pay $49.00 and I dont think having the full price has anything to do with the sunscription u have, I believe verizon will still make you pay an extra $30 a month for a data plan .. the higher price one is just so you dont have to enter a contract.

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just do the math and make the call. I would suspect that you'll chew into your $150 savings before the end of your first year, and VZW is the right call.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my plan with verizon is the 450 minute nationwide select (i think that's what is called) for 59.99, make sure you are looking at the same plans. i think there is a 900 min one that maybe doesn't have some features, like unlimited text. double check that first. but yeah, get it from wirefly. lots of people have had good luck with them

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the site, I think I would rather pay the 199 at verizon and keep a lower monthly bill thats just me. You would save money in the long run I guess, really its up to you though

^+1
Even @ 10/month more you would spend $240 over the length of your contract... not worth it. Plus if you get your phone elsewhere VZW stores aren't required to help you if/when you have a problem (some will but many won't). Best to deal with them directly.

One recommendation though, check other sites that have storefronts (like BestBuy) and see if your VZW will honor their prices. Again some will and some won't (my local store honored several BB items/prices even though they were 'online only'). Also ask for them to give you any 'mail-in rebates' as 'instant rebates' (again... this is up to the store manager).

Also if you're in an area with many VZW stores don't be afraid to go to all of them and see what they are willing to do. You'd be surprised at the different lengths some stores will go to get the sale.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sounds like VZW has an instant $100 rebate if you order it online. If you go to the store, they will have you mail in the $100 rebate.

If you buy from Wirefly or some of these other 3rd party locations, be very very careful, especially with Wirefly. Not only would you have an ETF with VZW, you'll also have another ETF with Wirefly. Read all the fine prints for those offering the Droid for like $49.99. If you order through Wirefly or some of the other sites, your manufacturers warranty problems will also have to be handled by Wirefly or whoever. You're better off going with the corporate on this.

No matter who you'd buy your phone from, Dell, Wirefly, etc. there's no way around the $29.99 data plan. You have to pay it to have it or any new data device with VZW.

OP
H

Harimwakairi

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've solved the mystery.

I went to Wirefly as some of you have suggested, but found the same deal: $50 phone, but with $60 for the 450 minute plan. After digging in a little bit more, I found that the 450 plan offered by Wirefly and Dell is the "450 Talk and Text" plan, which includes an additional $20 for unlimited texts. I don't need unlimited SMS messages (I've been using the 250-for-five-dollars thing and never coming close to hitting my limit), so it definitely doesn't make sense for me to pay that extra money.

Anyway, the end result is that it looks like I'll be going into a brick & mortar Verizon store tomorrow to get my new phone, since I can't get the plan that makes sense for me online. I imagine I'll be back on these forums with all kinds of questions after that. :)