If you're considering the X2, this is a must read!!!!

nateohio

Reaction score
I'm tired of all the negativity surrounding the X2, so I figured I'd put out a review from someone who's had positive experience with it. I started my smartphone journey with a BB, then to a Droid Eris, Droid 2 and a Droid X. Also, I've always hacked/rooted/overclocked and ROMed my phones.

I've had my X2 now for about a week and here is what I've done with it so far.

Before I did anything else:

-Formatted internal memory
-Swapped out Class 4 SD card with a Class 6 card ($15 from amazon)
-Formatted SD card

I have NOT rooted, switched out launchers, or tweaked anything. I wanted to give Motoblur a no kidding chance to grow on me.

I should also mention that I reboot my phone once a day. It's an old practice that I started using on computers years ago and carried it over to every smart phone I've owned.

SCREEN:
I love it!!!!! On a general basis, its the best screen I've had on a phone.

Can you see the pentile grid???? Yes, if the phone is held in unnatural positions or the screen is off. Even then, only under certain lighting conditions.

Pixelation???? Yes, but very slight and an easy trade off for me that pays off in battery consumption and usability in bright sunlight. Doesn't matter to me anyways because I use anti glare screen protectors that pixelize even the sharpest displays.

Is it better than ANY phone I've had when using it outdoors in bright sunlight???? Absolutely!!!!

SPEED / RESPONSIVENESS
I have experienced ONE instance of Lag on this badboy. Its entirely able to be replicated also. This one instance of lag is when using the Car Dock App and only happens when scrolling to the second screen. I believe this is a software glitch and not the fault of the hardware in the phone at all.

With the exception of the above mentioned instance, this phone screams!!!! I really can't wait until we get some developer roms for this thing, because this thing will fly with a vanilla gingerbread on it!!!!!

The one negative I need to mention is the fact that the phone does seem to take about a second longer to wake up from sleep. I think that developer roms will fix this but it's mildly aggravating to me.

CALL QUALITY / NETWORK PERFORMANCE
Very simply put, the BEST of all the phones I've had experience with. Full signal at my work where my Droid 2/X was lucky to get 1/2-3/4 signal, and crystal clear calling.

CAMERA / CAMCORDER PERFORMACE
The camera is the best quality I've dealt with, and performs superbly. It may be exact same camera that the X shipped with, but I guarantee you that moto rewrote the software that controls it. Which can make a HUGE difference.

The camcorder is decent, I wouldn't say its great. It takes watchable videos and seems to adjust easily to varying conditions. That being said, I think that expecting HD Camcorder performance from a cell phone is utterly ridiculous!!!!

SOUND / MUSIC / VIDEO PLAYBACK
I've tested all of these using the phone speaker, head phones, bluetooth, and also the Aux cable that came with my car dock. The bluetooth and aux cable were connected and controlled by my ford explorers sync system.

I've played music/video from both the internal memory and sd card, and I have experiences ZERO playback issues. No loud pops, no cutouts, NOTHING!!!! This also includes making/answering phone calls while connected to my vehicles sync system.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I don't know if there is a bad batch of phones out there or if people screw things up with apps, rooting, freezing/removing apps, or any number of other things. But my experience is almost 100% positive with the X2

In case you didn't catch it earlier, my phone is completely 100% unmodified stock software. I haven't done anything except throw some widgets on my home screens and install my normal apps.

In my opinion, the X2, at least my sample, is the best 3G phone available on Verizon currently.

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm pretty good at checking things out at least once a day and will get back to you. You can also PM me if you'd like.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I just pointed out to a member in another thread, you will hear 10 complaints before you hear a positive post. I agree that the negativity is blown way out of proportion.

Your's is about the third positive thread I've seen a week, but sadly they always get overwhelmed by negative posts.

Mavic

Reaction score
Thank you for at least shining some light on this phone. I have had mine through the initial 48 hour "warm-up" period and I have had zero problems so far. Since then I have rooted and ran the supercharger script and put Launcher Pro Plus on it and it really makes me wow at the fact that phones can be this fast.

I am so glad I purchased the phone before coming here because the whole front page of posts is talking about people that are having major issues.

Cheers!

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I honestly don't see any wrong with the Droid X². Only real compliants is no 4G and looks virtually the same. Used one for a few hours and its really nice. Lots of people love the DX - the second generation DX only brings great stuff to the table. Very underrated device for such ridiculous reasons.

Sent from my ThunderBolt

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
I honestly have no need for 4G. I regularly get 1.5-1.8 megabit download and .5 megabit download on 3G. Which is a hell of lot faster then the home internet I was using when I lived in Turkey which topped out at 768kbs. When I'm at home, I use my wireless internet in the house.

When 4G becomes industry standard and i can get a reliable connection in most places, then I MAY dump my home internet and just pay for tethering because it'll most likely still be cheaper than my home internet.

Last edited:

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
Another thread that makes me want the x2! But sadly my upgrade isn't for another year......
Anyways I bet once there is a root and some ROMs out this phone will blow most phones out of the water. (not saying it doesn't right now)
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
I've had a few issues out of my X2. But I still love it. I believe that this phone a a lot of potential and may have a lot going for it. Just can't wait to get that Gingerbread Update. :p

OP
nateohio

nateohio

Reaction score
Although I am getting to like motoblur, I cant wait for some developer support for this thing.

Running a liberty rom on this thing would be awesome!!!!! I hope we get that before Gingerbread, especially considering all the problems the X has had with it.

MistaWolfe

Reaction score
This phone flies - HATERS

Like others, I'm sick of all the hate this phone receives. This thing is a straight up beast. Here is what I did:

*Rooted
*REMOVED Bloatware Apps
*FROZE VCast and other apps
*Blocked ads
*V6 Supercharger with Mega-Memory settings
*ADW EX
*Spare Parts - stripped down version

I can't find a phone that compares. My buddy has an X1 that I put Liberty GB on. It's OC'd. It doesn't even touch my phone. Internet pages load in seconds - with Wi-Fi it's ridiculous. Downloads - quick. Screen - beautiful. Sure you can see some pixelation, but outside viewing is amazing. The camera is more than adequate. Once a Dev gets ahold of this thing, it's going to be nuts. Seriously, people need to stop sleeping on this. This phone is way underrated.

I'm sure many people will say "Locked bootloader" blah blah blah. Sure, it has a locked bootloader, but so does the X1. Look what CVPCS just did with that? CM7? Boomcakes!

Warmest regards,
Satisfied X2 Owner

TheCaper

Reaction score
How do I do the same????

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

boinkman

Reaction score
Like others, I'm sick of all the hate this phone receives. This thing is a straight up beast. Here is what I did:

*Rooted
*REMOVED Bloatware Apps
*Blocked ads
*ADW EX

I can't find a phone that compares. My buddy has an X1 that I put Liberty GB on. It's OC'd. It doesn't even touch my phone. Internet pages load in seconds - with Wi-Fi it's ridiculous. Downloads - quick. Screen - beautiful. Sure you can see some pixelation, but outside viewing is amazing. The camera is more than adequate. Once a Dev gets ahold of this thing, it's going to be nuts. Seriously, people need to stop sleeping on this. This phone is way underrated.

I'm sure many people will say "Locked bootloader" blah blah blah. Sure, it has a locked bootloader, but so does the X1. Look what CVPCS just did with that? CM7? Boomcakes!

Warmest regards,
Satisfied X2 Owner

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I can't say for everyone but I've had no problems since I bought this phone except for trying to get the tape off the box quick enough. Supercharging by itself beefed this monster up. Thanx to all the proactive posters in this forum...helping out and all.

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
V6 SuperCharger Updated...
Has a slightly modified MegaMemory device setting among other fixes

rushmore

Reaction score

*Rooted
*REMOVED Bloatware Apps
*Blocked ads
*ADW EX

Warmest regards,
Satisfied X2 Owner

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I can't say for everyone but I've had no problems since I bought this phone except for trying to get the tape off the box quick enough. Supercharging by itself beefed this monster up. Thanx to all the proactive posters in this forum...helping out and all.

Considering the build, nice display, great radios, battery life, etc., I REALLY wanted to keep the DX2, but I had audio pops with MP3s (internal and microsd storage), lag accumulation and random reboots.

The problems IMO seem to be low operational ram related and it should be a MAJOR flag to folks when they have to use an app designed for the 256mb ram Droid 1, in order to make the device work semi-stable.

The DX2 is a 512mb device that behaves like a 256mb device. Sad but true.

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sad but true that you cannot understand the term Memory Fix for ALL Androids...
Sad but true that you cannot understand the term MegaMemory Device Settings...
Sad but true that you returned, based on what I've read, the BEST phone EVER (after supercharging of course).

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk