If you turn off the mobile network (APN), do you still get texts?

PaulQ

Reaction score
I decided to use an app called "Green Power" (I assume it's like Juice Defender). It can turn off WiFi and/or the mobile network ("APN").

Can someone explain what the APN is and what turning it off does? Does it cut off all calls and texts?

If it does, I'm not sure why you would want to turn it off.

EDIT: I guess I should also ask... does it really save power to turn off the APN?

Thank you!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As with any battery life question, it all depends on what's eating up your battery. That's why I don't advocate applying random fixes for any troubleshooting. If your battery is getting killed because of constant data transfer, then yes, it can help with the caveat that you obviously won't be updating while data is disabled.

If you really want to improve your battery life then take a look at your usage and address your battery hogs. If, for example, the display is your biggest battery hog and data is at the bottom of the list then it does little good to shut off data.

As for texts, again, it depends. If you're using Google Voice then it will affect text delivery. If you're using the standard messaging apps then it won't with the exception of MMS which uses data to transfer the attachments.

Calls are not data unless you're using a VOIP solution.

Keep in mind that few things are one-size-fits-all.

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
Since you are not getting answers, I hope you don't mind a guess. I am nearly sure that mobile networks are for data only; not voice, as in phone calls. I am not sure about text messages, but I know that phones that do not have data capability can receive text messages (aka SMS messages). It seems easy to test and I assume you have already done that.

OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you.

I did test texts and calls and they came through but it made me what the point of having the Mobile Network on was.

Like it is explained here, it is for data apps that check data (e.g. email, weather, etc).

I am not quite desperate enough to cut the 3G connection all the time since I do enjoy the instant email notification.

It's true... one size does NOT fit all.