If i Root my Razr will it Void my Warranty?

Razr_lover

Reaction score
I'm new Here and Haven't Seen Anything about this but, Alot Of Forums say it will, and alot say it will not. Thanks

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Lol. Ask verizon?

They warrantied my first Gen droids. Maybe they will.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Lol ... only if you get caught!!! Just unroot it if you ever need to return it :p

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

NoKz

Reaction score
Technically it does void the warranty. However, as long as the device is able to power on, you'll be able to restore it back to factory settings. And they'll never know. :icon_ devil:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
As long as they can't tell it was ever rooted or modified in any way you will be fine.

TDJ112

Reaction score
^^^

Which is extremely unlikely....they deal with 100's of phones a day....

The whole voided warranty part is if you actually tell a Verizon Rep, "i rooted my phone and screwed it up, give me a new one"

Outside of you being that stupid, you should be fine....

Tucstwo

Reaction score
It doesn't void your warranty in its entirety. For example if you root, install a rom and brick, Moto does not have to honor a warranty claim to fix/repair your phone. But, let's say you root and something unrelated breaks. Ex, the sim/sd card door breaks, your headphone jack stops working, your speaker starts crackling. Moto still has to repair your phone, even if it's rooted. There's no way to really void your entire warranty. Even if you drop it in the toilet, they'd still have to fix your broken sd card door. Hope that helps and makes sense.

Dwillie

Reaction score
Contrary to Popular Belief.....

Actually most reps will know which phones is suppose to have what version of android and which dont, if they dont. all they have to do is go into their database and look it up, like you said they deal with hundreds of phones a day so they will investigate whats going on with the phone before they say "Oh here goes your replacement phone." Phone companys are in the business of making money, not swondering it away by having idiot employees that have no idea of what they are dealing with when they handle phones. And warrantees are genuinely covered or go through third party company's like 'Asurion', where you have to meet certain qualifications, one of them is that if you have an android device the software could not have been been authothorizely altered by the user like doing updates or upgrades to the phone or it will voild the warranty. Most of the time when software is altered on the phone it will be obvious because of the design of of the display of the screens will be far different from the stock version and one of the MAIN things cell phone reps are being trained to do is when they get a phone that is experiencing problems is to check if the original software is installed on the phone or if someone has tried to to hack the phone's software and it only takes a few seconds, if they notice that it has been altered they wont be able to acknowledge the warranty.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forums Dwillie!

I think the OP was more just talking about rooting, not installing a ROM or leaked OS. I think it is understood that the phone should be returned back to the original OS it is supposed to be on. Then if you unroot and remove the files for root they won't know the difference.

We all know Verizon never squanders anything, our monthly contracts reflect that :)

Scimino

Reaction score
I just sent a gnex back with a unlocked bootloader and rooted. I had no other choice. It powers on but the power button is damaged. I tried re locking but no PC would even recognize it. So we will see what happens. Kinda worried but that was a risk I took in the first place. My buddy that works for the FiOS department sent a gnex back with a unlocked boot loader and nothing happened. I know the op was talking about root but unlocking the boot loader is similar.
Oh and also the phone would power up on its own by inserting the battery. And it boot looped continuously.

Last edited:

Tucstwo

Reaction score
A broken power button and an unlocked bootloader have nothing to do with eachother. If they deny your warranty claim on your power button because of the bootloader, I advise you to file a complaint with the FTC. They are the department that handle these things. Having a unlocked bootloader doesn't mean you can't have warranty repairs done on items that are unrelated.

Tucstwo

Reaction score
Contrary to your belief

Actually most reps will know which phones is suppose to have what version of android and which dont, if they dont. all they have to do is go into their database and look it up, like you said they deal with hundreds of phones a day so they will investigate whats going on with the phone before they say "Oh here goes your replacement phone." Phone companys are in the business of making money, not swondering it away by having idiot employees that have no idea of what they are dealing with when they handle phones. And warrantees are genuinely covered or go through third party company's like 'Asurion', where you have to meet certain qualifications, one of them is that if you have an android device the software could not have been been authothorizely altered by the user like doing updates or upgrades to the phone or it will voild the warranty. Most of the time when software is altered on the phone it will be obvious because of the design of of the display of the screens will be far different from the stock version and one of the MAIN things cell phone reps are being trained to do is when they get a phone that is experiencing problems is to check if the original software is installed on the phone or if someone has tried to to hack the phone's software and it only takes a few seconds, if they notice that it has been altered they wont be able to acknowledge the warranty.

Rooting or Romming does not void your phone entire warranty. But it does afford Moto or whoever the opportunity to not make repairs to a phone that you broke by modifying it. But if you root a phone and it has other, non-related hardware issues, you do indeed still have a warranty and the ability to file a claim.

wolfe69

Reaction score
I had a rooted Droid 2 and one of the side affects of rooting was it disabled the dedicated camera button. Even after returning to stock it wouldn't work. A Verizon rep told me they were designed to do that when rooted so the reps would know.

Why would I want to root my Razr when rooting takes away 1 of the processors? Everything I have read says when you root it disables one of the processors. Why would I want to cut the phones processing power in half?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
wolfe69 said:
I had a rooted Droid 2 and one of the side affects of rooting was it disabled the dedicated camera button. Even after returning to stock it wouldn't work. A Verizon rep told me they were designed to do that when rooted so the reps would know.

Why would I want to root my Razr when rooting takes away 1 of the processors? Everything I have read says when you root it disables one of the processors. Why would I want to cut the phones processing power in half?

Verizon telling ghost stories, rooting does nothing to your phone but give you super user access.

Don't let them tell make you think Keyser Soze is real ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

wolfe69

Reaction score
Verizon telling ghost stories, rooting does nothing to your phone but give you super user access.

Don't let them tell make you think Keyser Soze is real ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

So if I root my Droid Razr it will not affect the processing power, speed (unless I over/under clock), or anything else other than give me more control over my phone?