ICS update - on 2nd Factory Reset - Google sign-in process taking forever. Normal?

brunla

Reaction score
I am on my 2nd factory reset this morning. The part of the process where you sign onto google was taking forever the first time. When I hit the home button it asked if I wanted to stop the setup and I said yes the first time. Well it was not updating gmail right, phone was laggy, and I could not download any apps from the play store. So I just did another factory reset and it is in the "Signing In - this can take a few minutes" stage for nearly 1/2 hour already. IS this normal??? Do I wait it out?

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
I rebooted and it is working. But man everything is slow. I realize it is updating google stuff, but it takes forever to get new gmail. Took an hour to download one app. Even my Droid 1 was quicker to set up than this.

I would reboot and try again. Did you mess with your sim card?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I rebooted and it is working. But man everything is slow. I realize it is updating google stuff, but it takes forever to get new gmail. Took an hour to download one app. Even my Droid 1 was quicker to set up than this.

I would boot into recovery & clear the cache & if that doesn't do it do the same & clear the data.
You can clear both but I would hold off on the data if there is game saves or data for apps you don't want to lose.
If you are not worried about saving data clear it out.

BIrONIC

Reaction score
I you want me to create a separate thread I will, but I didn't want to junk the place up with redundant threads. So, that's why I'm asking about this in here...

After waiting and waiting and never getting any updates, I finally just used HoB to upgrade to ICS.
HoB worked like a CHAMP and I will forever be grateful to Sam for that.

However, the upgrade to ICS didn't seem to help me with all of the general slowness (many minutes to download even tiny apps from the store, 10 or more seconds to wait for a menu to pop up when I click something, etc) and glitchiness (apps crashing all the time, Bionic sometimes just auto rebooting for no user requested reason, all kinds of other things, etc).

So, the next step was to do a factory data reset (the idea being that doing so should clear up all of that kind of stuff).

Problem =
The FDR seemed to come off without a hitch until after I signed into my Google account. That was last night sometime, and it's still on the screen that says,

"Signing in...
This can take a few minutes"

During the time that I was actively waiting for it to get done, I noticed that, if I turn the screen off with the power button, and then back on, I am able to pull down the notification bar, and get to some things. So, I went ahead and connected to my home wifi network......still no change.

I also was able to click the little gear icon, and get into 'Settings'.
Beyond that, at one point, an app update appeared on the notification bar, and I clicked it and was able to get into 'My Apps' and saw that a lot of them were already there, but wasn't sure if they all were, because I didn't take the time to look through them all or do a count.

Just for kicks, I left it alone (plugged into the wall charger for power) over-night....I was thinking...well, I did have lots of apps before. So, perhaps it's just taking a long time to re-download them all or something.

No luck....it's still there at the same screen.

I can still trick it by turning off the screen, then back on, then dragging down the notification bar, and get into some things from there, but once I back out of whatever I'm in, it just goes back to the "Signing in.." screen.

Now, I assume that I could probably safely just reboot the thing at this point, or even do a complete new FDR like I just did, but I figured I'd check in here to see if there is anything else I can try first (or instead of that).

Any idea what is happening here?

Any suggestions on where to go next?

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
My advice Is to call Verizon, and get a droid Razr maxx. Best thing I ever did. Flawless phone.

I you want me to create a separate thread I will, but I didn't want to junk the place up with redundant threads. So, that's why I'm asking about this in here...

After waiting and waiting and never getting any updates, I finally just used HoB to upgrade to ICS.
HoB worked like a CHAMP and I will forever be grateful to Sam for that.

However, the upgrade to ICS didn't seem to help me with all of the general slowness (many minutes to download even tiny apps from the store, 10 or more seconds to wait for a menu to pop up when I click something, etc) and glitchiness (apps crashing all the time, Bionic sometimes just auto rebooting for no user requested reason, all kinds of other things, etc).

So, the next step was to do a factory data reset (the idea being that doing so should clear up all of that kind of stuff).

Problem =
The FDR seemed to come off without a hitch until after I signed into my Google account. That was last night sometime, and it's still on the screen that says,

"Signing in...
This can take a few minutes"

During the time that I was actively waiting for it to get done, I noticed that, if I turn the screen off with the power button, and then back on, I am able to pull down the notification bar, and get to some things. So, I went ahead and connected to my home wifi network......still no change.

I also was able to click the little gear icon, and get into 'Settings'.
Beyond that, at one point, an app update appeared on the notification bar, and I clicked it and was able to get into 'My Apps' and saw that a lot of them were already there, but wasn't sure if they all were, because I didn't take the time to look through them all or do a count.

Just for kicks, I left it alone (plugged into the wall charger for power) over-night....I was thinking...well, I did have lots of apps before. So, perhaps it's just taking a long time to re-download them all or something.

No luck....it's still there at the same screen.

I can still trick it by turning off the screen, then back on, then dragging down the notification bar, and get into some things from there, but once I back out of whatever I'm in, it just goes back to the "Signing in.." screen.

Now, I assume that I could probably safely just reboot the thing at this point, or even do a complete new FDR like I just did, but I figured I'd check in here to see if there is anything else I can try first (or instead of that).

Any idea what is happening here?

Any suggestions on where to go next?

BIrONIC

Reaction score
My advice Is to call Verizon, and get a droid Razr maxx. Best thing I ever did. Flawless phone.

HA!
OK, you see....that's exactly what I've been thinking. Could it really be that I do not deserve this piece of $h!t, and that I could actually get a phone that works?

What a concept. Thanks for the advice.

I bought this thing at Best Buy with their special 'trade-in' plan or whatever. Should I go to Verizon though because it's essentially from them in the first place, or do I need to deal only with Best Buy?

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
I don't know your exact circumstance, but I had my phone for over a year. I had to do over the phone and they sent me a reconditioned Razr Maxx per my request. Honestly it has been awesome and I wished I had done it 6 months ago.

HA!
OK, you see....that's exactly what I've been thinking. Could it really be that I do not deserve this piece of $h!t, and that I could actually get a phone that works?

What a concept. Thanks for the advice.

I bought this thing at Best Buy with their special 'trade-in' plan or whatever. Should I go to Verizon though because it's essentially from them in the first place, or do I need to deal only with Best Buy?

BIrONIC

Reaction score
OK, cool.
Thanks again.

How should I expect the conversation to go....I mean, generally speaking........I call up and they immediately send me a replacement (of course, that part all depends on my situation with Best Buy and all, and I know I will have to sort that out, but...), or will I need to argue with them, or will they make me go through some 'troubleshooting' BS first, or what?

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Hey brunla,
wow, man. Thanks again for snapping me out of it. Holy crap.
I finally called them this weekend, and here's the story...

* When I first told them the deal, they said I'm past warranty and they can't do anything
* I told them that I got screwed because they promised that the ICS update would fix all the bugs. So, I waited, and that's why I'm now past warranty replacement time
* With that, they agreed to send out a replacement.
* The replacement they said they'd send was a Razr (regular), which I knew would be better than the freakin Bionic, but I wanted to check in to see what the deal would be at Best Buy where I actually bought mine.
* At Best Buy, I got in touch with how much 'credit' I have now from their 'buy back' program that I'm paying for and an estimate of where it would be in June when my time is up for an upgrade.
* As it turns out, if I were to wait till June, the buy-back credit will probably be enough to pay for whatever upgrade I want, whereas, if I were to take the replacement Razr from Verizon now, I would lose out on the buy back thing, because it goes with the specific phone that I bought from Best Buy.
* Then, I found out that, since my current Bionic (which has already been replaced like twice for other glitchy issues) Best Buy would do another replacement.
* I'm now holding off on the replacement Razr from Verizon......if the replacement Bionic does in fact fix things enough so that I can live with it till next June, I would rather be able to take advantage of the fact that I've been paying for the buy back thing this whole time, and get a much better phone then.
* If the replacement Bionic (comes this Tuesday or Wednesday) doesn't fix most of the issues, I will just forefit the buy back and take the replacement Razr from Verizon.

Sorry for continuing to peg this thread, but I just had to share with someone.

OH!!...get this....
Since I had to turn in my broken Bionic to Best Buy so they could send it in, they gave me another phone as a loaner. Holy crap! It's a very low end Android.....Samsung Galaxy S......but OMG! So, this is what it's like to have an Android phone? Even this lowly little tweak is leaps and bounds beyond anythign I ever experienced on my Bionic. Man, talk about feeling violated.....I've put up with that POS for over a year. :angry:

Well, thanks again for the does of reality, bud. One way or another (even if I have to hold this Galaxy S hostage :lol: ) I think I'm finally on the right track.

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
Make a trail and document everything. When u get the replacement bionic if there is any issues at all, call them right away. I got the Maxx because I bought the extended battery and said I should get something comparable. They will give you a Maxx if you press them. (Not the new HD, but the even the plain Maxx is incredible with two days battery life.) The key is documenting a trail. If they have to replace this bionic then you should demand a maxx. However even a razr is a giant step above the bionic.

Hey brunla,
wow, man. Thanks again for snapping me out of it. Holy crap.
I finally called them this weekend, and here's the story...

* When I first told them the deal, they said I'm past warranty and they can't do anything
* I told them that I got screwed because they promised that the ICS update would fix all the bugs. So, I waited, and that's why I'm now past warranty replacement time
* With that, they agreed to send out a replacement.
* The replacement they said they'd send was a Razr (regular), which I knew would be better than the freakin Bionic, but I wanted to check in to see what the deal would be at Best Buy where I actually bought mine.
* At Best Buy, I got in touch with how much 'credit' I have now from their 'buy back' program that I'm paying for and an estimate of where it would be in June when my time is up for an upgrade.
* As it turns out, if I were to wait till June, the buy-back credit will probably be enough to pay for whatever upgrade I want, whereas, if I were to take the replacement Razr from Verizon now, I would lose out on the buy back thing, because it goes with the specific phone that I bought from Best Buy.
* Then, I found out that, since my current Bionic (which has already been replaced like twice for other glitchy issues) Best Buy would do another replacement.
* I'm now holding off on the replacement Razr from Verizon......if the replacement Bionic does in fact fix things enough so that I can live with it till next June, I would rather be able to take advantage of the fact that I've been paying for the buy back thing this whole time, and get a much better phone then.
* If the replacement Bionic (comes this Tuesday or Wednesday) doesn't fix most of the issues, I will just forefit the buy back and take the replacement Razr from Verizon.

Sorry for continuing to peg this thread, but I just had to share with someone.

OH!!...get this....
Since I had to turn in my broken Bionic to Best Buy so they could send it in, they gave me another phone as a loaner. Holy crap! It's a very low end Android.....Samsung Galaxy S......but OMG! So, this is what it's like to have an Android phone? Even this lowly little tweak is leaps and bounds beyond anythign I ever experienced on my Bionic. Man, talk about feeling violated.....I've put up with that POS for over a year. :angry:

Well, thanks again for the does of reality, bud. One way or another (even if I have to hold this Galaxy S hostage :lol: ) I think I'm finally on the right track.

Scribble

Reaction score
Do you have 2-step verification turned on on your Google Account?

I noticed that 2-step can cause it to get stuck like that. My wife's did that and I turned of 2-step and signed her in and it worked fine. Mine also lagged but instead of turning off 2-step I skipped signing in until after setup then added the account manually and it worked, but for some reason didn't download any of the apps and stuff I had before the reset.

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Do you have 2-step verification turned on on your Google Account?

I noticed that 2-step can cause it to get stuck like that. My wife's did that and I turned of 2-step and signed her in and it worked fine. Mine also lagged but instead of turning off 2-step I skipped signing in until after setup then added the account manually and it worked, but for some reason didn't download any of the apps and stuff I had before the reset.

Ya, I think I might have seen your post about that elsewhere, and checked on it, but I didn't have 2-step turned on. So, it was something else.

After that, my experience was pretty much like yours.

Now, I have a replacement on the way. Hopefully it will be unbroken-enough to last me till next June...