ICS Status Bar notification apps too dim to read...

rogue7

Reaction score
Haven't been able to find anyone else talking about this yet. Got the 4.0 update on saturday and ever since, almost all of the apps I have that have a status bar notification in the upper left corner are too dim or small to read. Weatherbug and The Weather Channel notifications are both almost useless now. My Battery Widget did have an update that allowed you to adjust size but it's still very dim. Adjusting font size in display system settings has no effect on the status bar. Anyone else encounter this or find a fix?

swallman

Reaction score
Haven't been able to find anyone else talking about this yet. Got the 4.0 update on saturday and ever since, almost all of the apps I have that have a status bar notification in the upper left corner are too dim or small to read. Weatherbug and The Weather Channel notifications are both almost useless now. My Battery Widget did have an update that allowed you to adjust size but it's still very dim. Adjusting font size in display system settings has no effect on the status bar. Anyone else encounter this or find a fix?

Never really thought about it until now, but you're right - they are really dim. For instance, I have the temperature on my notification bar and I can't even really read it.

OP
R

rogue7

Reaction score
On weatherbug you can change the color to white and it makes it a little better.

Yeah, I saw that but the numbers are so small, it is really hard to see in any color. I liked being able to just click on the screen and see the temperature without having to unlock the phone...

ChuckAnn

Reaction score
So frustrating

I just got ICS update today and that's the very first thing I noticed! grrrr :-(
I hope they fix that.

pico1

Reaction score
Are you using the auto-light function? I notice with this option enabled it seems that the sensitivity to light has increased thus making the screen dimmer than on the previous GB.

mooky

Reaction score
I got the OTA update last night and noticed the same thing on my Razr. That's very annoying! the system icons (battery, network, etc.) are all normal brightness, but the ones I care about can barely see. This should be configurable please!

Abaddon

Reaction score
I got the OTA last night as well and I noticed too. I really think that they upped the resolution for ICS because all of the icons and text just seem brighter and a bit more crisp. So, my guess would be that if they tweaked the resolution of the UI then the apps that have notification icons seem smaller and not as vibrant. I don't know for sure but this may be an issue for the programmers of each particular app rather than a malfunction of ICS itself.

mooky

Reaction score
...I really think that they upped the resolution for ICS because all of the icons and text just seem brighter and a bit more crisp. So, my guess would be that if they tweaked the resolution of the UI then the apps that have notification icons seem smaller and not as vibrant...

Hrm. Plausable, but the color of the icons is noticeably muted. e.g. Touchdown uses an obnoxiously bright yellow envelope for messages, but its a soft fuzzy amber now. It's almost like they intentionally dithered the notification tray icons.

emarioc

Reaction score
ICS App ICONS to Small and too Dim

I just got ICS update today and that's the very first thing I noticed! grrrr :-(
I hope they fix that.

Indeed :angry:, this is a major issue for me as well. Next I am going to check ICS compliant apps that offer a status bar left side ICON and see if it is specific to ICS desinged Apps.

Will report back

webmastir

Reaction score
My wife's razr got the update last night, and the brightness on notification icons are ridiculously dim at the moment. She's not a happy camper :mad:

robbski

Reaction score
Just finally got ICS on my Maxx. First think I noticed, too. Not cool. I'm sure with enough people complaining about this, it's something that'll be able to be fixed with a software update. (Hopefully!)

JWX

Reaction score
Highly displeased with the size/dimness of the status bar icons now. Almost useless for me. Seeking some way of altering since I'm rooted.