Ics rom

yastern

Reaction score
Will the new ICS releases for Bionic and Maxx make it easier to develop a good ICS ROM for the Droid 3?

spasch

Reaction score
It looks like hashcode spelled it out pretty well on his blog. The 512mb of ram vs. 1 gig on the bionic seems to be a pretty good hurdle. We may have to wait for hashcode and the other developers to have a look but I am not holding my breath.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

GreenSnow

Reaction score
IMO the D3 was just bad timing all in all, I personally love my D3 but it definetly was on the cusp of an evolution, the duel core is amazing but the 512mb RAM is really going to hinder us in things to come (I.e. ICS).

And with the bionic and razr release just shortly after the d3 (not to mention other names out there) is a little irritating yes but just makes it all that more exciting when I can upgrade :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Will the new ICS releases for Bionic and Maxx make it easier to develop a good ICS ROM for the Droid 3?

No, because of the locked bootloader so you can't replace the kernel with anything other than a Droid 3 kernel from Motorola. So Motorola would have to release an ICS kernel for the Droid 3....and if they did that...they might as well release ICS for the Droid 3 too.

Kernels for other devices do nothing for devices with locked bootloaders.

The Droid 4 is much closer (slide out keyboard an all) than the Bionic or Razr and it's kernel will do nothing for the Droid 3 either.

This is a complete goof on Motorola's part.....they could easily do this. They just don't care to do so, and I'm sure Verizon is pushing them to not do it either as Verizon wants everyone off 3G phones.

mordocai

Reaction score
No, because of the locked bootloader so you can't replace the kernel with anything other than a Droid 3 kernel from Motorola. So Motorola would have to release an ICS kernel for the Droid 3....and if they did that...they might as well release ICS for the Droid 3 too.

Kernels for other devices do nothing for devices with locked bootloaders.

The Droid 4 is much closer (slide out keyboard an all) than the Bionic or Razr and it's kernel will do nothing for the Droid 3 either.

This is a complete goof on Motorola's part.....they could easily do this. They just don't care to do so, and I'm sure Verizon is pushing them to not do it either as Verizon wants everyone off 3G phones.

I'm new to the scene here, but I thought there was recent news that they got past the secure bootloader and got a kernel running? So is this mean things might get better for us soon?

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm new to the scene here, but I thought there was recent news that they got past the secure bootloader and got a kernel running? So is this mean things might get better for us soon?

Yeah, this thread is a bit old. Look for Hascode's Kexec Alpha 2 thread. That's the most current one.