ICS on the Thunderbolt?

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Short answer. For a stock phone, no. No one really knows right now.

drew

Reaction score
I think someone will port CM9 to it at least. It really sucks because I have CM9 on my HP Touchpad. Sad state of affairs when a "hacked" tablet gets it before a former "flagship" 4G phone.

4shlr

Reaction score
I think someone will port CM9 to it at least. It really sucks because I have CM9 on my HP Touchpad. Sad state of affairs when a "hacked" tablet gets it before a former "flagship" 4G phone.

How did you get this on your touchpad? I have one & have been tempted to do it. Thanks

Sent from my 'Bolt

drew

Reaction score
How did you get this on your touchpad? I have one & have been tempted to do it. Thanks

Sent from my 'Bolt

it's pretty bulletproof, but you'll want to read up on all the software. You can turn your TP into dual boot, but i'll bet once you get Android loaded, you'll never go back to WebOS. You'll need MOBOOT (basically a new bootloader), ACMEInstaller2, CWM (for flashing things) and CM9. Check out the rootzwiki and it will get you on the right track. Be warned: CM9 is very alpha - netflix, video and camera do not work yet.

[Release][Alpha0] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad - RootzWiki
[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1362983"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1362983
[/URL]
The second link is a post to installing CM7.

It looks like there are some ICS ROMs for our Thunderbolt, but looks like having trouble with the radio. Exciting, as ICS is awesome on the tablet.

Last edited:

4shlr

Reaction score
Great links...thanks!

Now that I've done a root with my old OG Droid I'm feeling more brave to try some more things...I'd like to root my Bolt so I can use the free wifi hotspot...and now I think I'll try to put CM7 on my touchpad...maybe lol

it's pretty bulletproof, but you'll want to read up on all the software. You can turn your TP into dual boot, but i'll bet once you get Android loaded, you'll never go back to WebOS. You'll need MOBOOT (basically a new bootloader), ACMEInstaller2, CWM (for flashing things) and CM9. Check out the rootzwiki and it will get you on the right track. Be warned: CM9 is very alpha - netflix, video and camera do not work yet.

[Release][Alpha0] CyanogenMod 9 Touchpad - RootzWiki
CM7 Install Instruction - Step by Step for dummies - xda-developers
The second link is a post to installing CM7.

It looks like there are some ICS ROMs for our Thunderbolt, but looks like having trouble with the radio. Exciting, as ICS is awesome on the tablet.

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
Great links...thanks!

Now that I've done a root with my old OG Droid I'm feeling more brave to try some more things...I'd like to root my Bolt so I can use the free wifi hotspot...and now I think I'll try to put CM7 on my touchpad...maybe lol

I rooted my Bolt 2 days ago. It was super easy and Open Garden tether app works fantastic. I still can't figure out how to root my OG Droid though lol

4shlr

Reaction score
I've seen a couple YouTube videos of the Bolt root using revolutionary, is that what you used to root?? Is your root easy to unroot just in case?

I saw the open garden app, here's another queation: is that app usb or wireless? Can't tell from the description... Sorry for all the questions lol

I rooted my Bolt 2 days ago. It was super easy and Open Garden tether app works fantastic. I still can't figure out how to root my OG Droid though lol

Sent from my 'Bolt

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
I used the Revolution method yes. Also, don't know about uprooting as I'm not planning on doing that lol. Open Garden is wireless, so I use it for my iPad. Do you have a link for rooting the Droid! Lol

4shlr

Reaction score
My only worry about rooting is if something happens to it & I need to send it back...nothing has gone wrong with it but my luck...lol

here is what I used to root OG Droid, worked really well, all the downloads you need are in the description:

How to root Moto Droid 1 on ANY version (Including 2.2.2) - YouTube
Good Luck!

I used the Revolution method yes. Also, don't know about uprooting as I'm not planning on doing that lol. Open Garden is wireless, so I use it for my iPad. Do you have a link for rooting the Droid! Lol

4shlr

Reaction score
Did your data get wiped in the process? Lose contacts, apps, pics??

sonicanatidae

Reaction score
Apparently, HTC has sent at least 1 person a positive note RE: ICS for T-Bolt.

Clickie: Ics confirmed for thunderbolt! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

This is the internet tho, so take it with a grain of salt, but the post shows "an early 2012" release.

Personally, I'm waiting for CM9. The Stock ICS ROM will be loaded with bloat and the Sense interface.
Both of those make OTA's a dead end for me.

As with anything, YMMV.

Last edited:

4shlr

Reaction score
Did you have the latest VZW OTA update on your Bolt when you rooted? I've been trying to use the revolutionary method but doesn't seem to be working. My software is 2.3.4 with 2....something....9

From what I've found it looks like the best method is to download the older version & then root. Is this what you did??

Sent from my 'Bolt