ICS GMail new mail notification not clearing when email read?

ofiba

Reaction score
On Gingerbread, I could have sworn that if I got a new gmail mail notification on my Bionic, if I read the email on a computer the notification would automatically disappear. On ICS (currently .232), if I get a new mail notification, it will not disappear unless I physically clear it on the phone.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that the notification on ICS shows the actual email instead of just saying "new mail message", but I can't figure out any way to make it work the old way?

Any ideas?

linuxgator

Reaction score
On Gingerbread, I could have sworn that if I got a new gmail mail notification on my Bionic, if I read the email on a computer the notification would automatically disappear. On ICS (currently .232), if I get a new mail notification, it will not disappear unless I physically clear it on the phone.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that the notification on ICS shows the actual email instead of just saying "new mail message", but I can't figure out any way to make it work the old way?

Any ideas?

You might need to clear the data for GMail through the Manage Apps menu. I believe that I've been experiencing the normal behavior on the latest ICS leak, sometimes it just takes a few minutes

sonnyd

Reaction score
I am having the same issue - has anyone resolved this? It's annoying to have to manually clear my notification bar (or go into the stock mail app, which is what I'm using) every time I get an email.

Does anyone else's notifications clear after they read their email on a different device?

FWIW, I'm using a galaxy s3, but I think this is an ICS issue (this was fine previously on GB)

skidoo

Reaction score
I am having the same issue - has anyone resolved this? It's annoying to have to manually clear my notification bar (or go into the stock mail app, which is what I'm using) every time I get an email.

Does anyone else's notifications clear after they read their email on a different device?

FWIW, I'm using a galaxy s3, but I think this is an ICS issue (this was fine previously on GB)

I'm on 235, and my Gmail notification clears if I read it on a desktop or a laptop or whatever.

Didn't notice either way when I was on 232.

___
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

sonnyd

Reaction score
Actually, my Gmail notification clears if I read from desktop - it's my yahoo and work exchange accts that are the issue. Using the stock email app. Both accounts are set up exactly the same way as it was on my Incredible, which it worked fine for.