ICS car mode quirks

nkostman

Reaction score
I am using the stock car dock in .242 (have noticed the same issues in .232,.235,.238) and there are two issues that are really bugging me. Just wanted to see if everyone else was experiencing these. I have performed a FDR and issues remain:

1. when I place the phone in the official Motorola car dock, the screen will not unlock automatically and launch the car mode app. However, when I unlock, the car dock app is running. This is strange because the phone will automatically unlock when placed in the standard dock.

2. Car dock app does not take over the home key. When in car mode, the home key takes me back to the standard home screen rather than the car dock app. Again, in the standard dock, the home key takes me back to the dock app.

linuxgator

Reaction score
I've experienced this behavior in all of the ICS leaks, including .242 now. The one workaround that I have found is to disable Vehicle Mode in the manage apps menu, and install Car Home. It requires 2 apk files which can be readily found online. It's the standard car dock for Android to my knowledge, and works correctly.

Ziggie

Reaction score
linuxgator said:
I've experienced this behavior in all of the ICS leaks, including .242 now. The one workaround that I have found is to disable Vehicle Mode in the manage apps menu, and install Car Home. It requires 2 apk files which can be readily found online. It's the standard car dock for Android to my knowledge, and works correctly.

I'd like to try your workaround. I looked in the Playstore and there are tons of car home apps. Who is the developer for the app you use?

Thanks.

linuxgator

Reaction score
Google. But I don't think it's in the market. PM me your email address and I will send you the ones I have in a bit when I can get to a computer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
N

nkostman

Reaction score
I'd like to try your workaround. I looked in the Playstore and there are tons of car home apps. Who is the developer for the app you use?

Thanks.

You can download here: [APP] Google Car Home 2.2.1.4 - xda-developers seems to be the latest version...

The only problem I have with it is that the text-to-speech function doesn't seem to work. A crucial feature for me when I'm driving.

linuxgator

Reaction score
That's the same version as i have. I haven't tried the text to speech with it, but isn't that something that can be overcome with smart actions?

nitephlight

Reaction score
im on 238, soon 242 (will check) but both those things most assuredly occur. my fix was... tasker. but then again my fix for EVERYTHING is tasker :)

learn it. love it... but *dont* cheap out and find the pirated apk! :hail:

OP
N

nkostman

Reaction score
Anyone install .244 to see if it fixes these issues?

linuxgator

Reaction score
I upgraded to 244 and still see the same behavior. Though I did not do a data wipe at all. I think they designed it to work like it does for whatever reason.

OP
N

nkostman

Reaction score
I upgraded to 244 and still see the same behavior. Though I did not do a data wipe at all. I think they designed it to work like it does for whatever reason.

Darn. Did they update "Motorola Dock Service"? in .242 it was 4.0.4-25

phoenixus

Reaction score
Did they change the standard/car dock app at all in ICS? I've had alot of issues with the standard dock (home button not working) and I haven't seen any screenshots of the new ICS version. Anyone mind posting some?

linuxgator

Reaction score
I'll try to remember to take a screenshot next time I'm using my car dock. The home key takes you to the standard home screen, not to the vehicle home as one would expect. However, using Car Home from google, the home key works. I really don't know why they would include a semi-functional specialized car home alternative when they could easily just use the stock google one which works perfectly fine.

linuxgator

Reaction score
vaty6uzy.jpg