Icon notifications

austin21

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had an Incredible on Verizon and I recently upgraded to the Droid RAZR.

On my Incredible, the icons on my screen had little notification numbers. For example, if I had 3 new voicemails, the voicemail icon on the home screen would have a small 3 in the corner. If I had 15 new emails, my GMail icon would have a small 15. Kind of like iPhone icon notifications.

It doesn't appear the Droid RAZR has this feature, I suspect this is due to OS? My Incredible had 2.1 or maybe 2.2 and the Droid RAZR is on Gingerbread.

Is there a way to enable my icons to have their numbers back? This was really convenient for me. Thanks for reading!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome to the forum!!

I know that a home replacement launcher can do this for you - have you check out either ADW.ex or Go Launcher EX?

OP
A

austin21

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

I don't have the phone rooted, would i need to to be able to do this? I was hoping there was a native setting I was just overlooking... why would they take away such a nice feature...

gling

Reaction score
Not sure about the stock launcher but I'm using Launcher Pro and it has that option in the preferences under dock settings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
No, replacement launchers do not require root - they are downloaded thru the Market. That is usually why replacement launchers are used, they expand on the features that should be stock...:)

OP
A

austin21

Reaction score
Thanks Smalltown!! Excellent, I'll try to download a few launchers and see what works. Gling, thank you for the suggestion, I may just go with that launcher. Is it fairly stable?

gling

Reaction score
QUOTE=austin21;1976468]Thanks Smalltown!! Excellent, I'll try to download a few launchers and see what works. Gling, thank you for the suggestion, I may just go with that launcher. Is it fairly stable?[/QUOTE]

Very stable, quick with no lag. Maybe not as customizable as some of the others but with scrolling docks, 3D app drawer, folders, ability to hide apps you don't want to see, and more, I think you'll find it has plenty to offer.
Good luck whatever you choose.

View attachment 46050[View attachment 46039

Last edited:

sadlsor

Reaction score
Non-rooted Razr

Austin, FWIW, my Notification bar doesn't show how many messages, voicemail, etc., until I scroll it down. When it's docked it only displays that I have "one or more" items.

I just learned on this forum that I'm going to have to reload all my apps; I had Launcher Pro on my Droid X but I guess it's still out there in Marketplace-land...

Hey! Welcome to the Razr forum!

OP
A

austin21

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I installed GO Launcher EX w/notifications plugin and it's meeting my needs. It gives me a notification count for messages, gmail, and missed calls. It doesn't work for my exchange email or voicemails, but c'est la vie. :)

pinoy_92

Reaction score
just so you know. go launcher takes a lot of resource to run.