I want to get the Droid but...

mfoodie

Reaction score
Hello there great Droid folks,
I have done oodles of research on this site and others but I'm still not coming up with an answer to my question. I'd like to get the Droid (have a BB Tour now) but:

- I need to sync Outlook 2003 for calendar and contacts on the Droid
- I do not want to put my info up in "the cloud" and have it stored w/Google
- I don't use Microsoft Exchange
- I have a domain name and not sure if I can retrieve and send emails via my domain.

I love the vocal GPS of Droid and the touch screen and the overall screen view. The BB screen is small - but email and sync to Outlook is great.

Maybe the Droid is not for me but would appreciate any comments per my list above.
Thanks, MFoodie

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum mfoodie! i know nothing about any of that but here's a :bump: for ya :D good luck

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hello there great Droid folks,
I have done oodles of research on this site and others but I'm still not coming up with an answer to my question. I'd like to get the Droid (have a BB Tour now) but:

- I need to sync Outlook 2003 for calendar and contacts on the Droid
- I do not want to put my info up in "the cloud" and have it stored w/Google
- I don't use Microsoft Exchange
- I have a domain name and not sure if I can retrieve and send emails via my domain.

I love the vocal GPS of Droid and the touch screen and the overall screen view. The BB screen is small - but email and sync to Outlook is great.

Maybe the Droid is not for me but would appreciate any comments per my list above.
Thanks, MFoodie

Good morning. there sure is a wealth of information here, and sometimes it is easier to just ask:)
For Syncing your email and calendar: check out this website for a product that does a great job of syncing your info: Sync CRM/PIM data with phones, desktop software, and web-based services -- CompanionLink but you aren't using exchange so maybe this works too?
Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help except you don't want your info in the cloud:(

There are settings on the phone that control syncing. It appears if you turn that off you can keep your contacts local on the phone. You'll want a more positive answer for this one than I have for you though. This may prevent your calendar from syncing too if you go that route.

Here is a review of a mail app, called K9, that will shed more light on email syncing with your non-Google email:
K9 Mail Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews

OP
M

mfoodie

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies! I just called Companion Link and YES, they do have the software to do the trick! Only downfall - currently, you cannot send invites on your calendar. I use that for my meetings with friends and clients. They said, however, this is coming soon as an update in about a month.
Y'all are great! Thanks again.