I wanna delete everything from SD card, what is safe to delete?

silkyjohnson

Reaction score
Ok, so I might end up selling or trading my droid to someone else. I just want to delete everything and leave it as it came when I got it. I've already did a clean install and factory reset but it has left a lot of files behind. I was just wondering if there is a list somewhere that tells me what files are necessary to keep? or can I just delete all the files from the SD card all at once? Thanks for your help :)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
You can erase everything off of it. Just do a format. The only thing you'll have to keep in mind is that paid apps are/should be associated with you're number meaning there will likely be complications for the other person. Just as well, any apps that were installed on the phone that created files and directories on the SD card will be lost. Not a big deal though, it's probably best to just do a complete wipe of everything so the new guy has a fresh start.

Last edited:
OP
S

silkyjohnson

Reaction score
Cool, thanks! Just wanted to make sure it was safe to wipe the SD card clean. Also, I don't wanna leave any information behind that I might overlook. Especially in this day and age you can never be to careful with the trace info you might leave behind.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Also besides the SD, go to the Settings -> Privacy tab, and select "Factory data reset". This removes ALL data on the phone if you are really concerned with privacy with your potential new owner.

Reaction score
Yeah you can do a full format but copy everything on the sd card on to your computer so you will still have everything

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can erase everything off of it. Just do a format. The only thing you'll have to keep in mind is that paid apps are/should be associated with you're number meaning there will likely be complications for the other person. Just as well, any apps that were installed on the phone that created files and directories on the SD card will be lost. Not a big deal though, it's probably best to just do a complete wipe of everything so the new guy has a fresh start.
I think its linked to the google account, not the number.

Could be wrong though.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I think its linked to the google account, not the number.

Could be wrong though.

Actually I think you're right and I read about that elsewhere. All your Google purchases and whatnot are stored in "the Google Cloud" and the majority of resets/recovery processes are performed by pulling or verifying data from your Google account, hence why you have to create one from the get-go.