I used to love my Droid, BUT

Paul A. Gaier

Reaction score
When I first got my Droid a few months ago I thought it was the coolest gadget I have ever purchased. I'm 50+ years old, have been working in electronic and software engineering for over 30 years and technology has never intimidated me. I love the latest and greatest. But I think I know CRAP when I see it. Hope to either put my mind at ease or get motivated to move elsewhere with my Verizon/Google Droid.

warrior21

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What issues are you having? Are you rooted?

Sent from my Droid

Kendroid24

Reaction score
Well you should browse the app store for widgets and apps that make your phone yours.There are apps for everything I have ever searched for and by getting new things to make my phone a little cooler I have slowly fallen deeply in love with my d2.My grandmother went and got a droid after I was flaunting mine and it took about two months to adjust to the new technology but just from avid use and personalization it has become a part of her almost(literally it is starting to fuse with her palm).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what can we help you with? that's what were here for!

*DroidForums app DOES*

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Paul! I'm well over 50 and I would be delighted to help you.

Mike

dougbloch

Reaction score
I used to love my Droid, but then I dropped it in water and now I have a Droid 2 :(

dougbloch

Reaction score
I used to love my Droid, but then I dropped it in water and now I have a Droid 2 :(

Why are you unhappy with the Droid 2?

I love the speed (beats my Droid running Project Elite with an overclocked Slayhers Kernel), the battery life, and the improved keyboard, but that's it.

The numerous changes to the graphics in the OS don't appeal to me (eg lockscreen sliders), and I don't like the blur at all.

But most important, callers frequently lose all sound from me during the call -- a problem I never had with my Droid. This might be a hardware problem as it seems to happen whenever I hold the phone anywhere but the bottom while talking on it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go into settings:
-Sound

scroll down and click media audio effects

- click phone speaker

-click equalizer

- and adjust it from extreme bass to something else.

That helped to fix my phone quality alot.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also to get rid of blur get ADW from the market. I did that and my droid 2 gained alot in performance.

OP
P

Paul A. Gaier

Reaction score
Welcome, Paul! I'm well over 50 and I would be delighted to help you.

Mike

My Droid (2.2) frequently (once or twice day or more) locks up and I have to force close something. At least once a day it locks up and eventually just reboots. I have had multiple apps just disappear at once.

I didn't seem to have this much trouble when I was using a manual task manager. I read on a forum similar to this that the Android operating system manages tasks automatically and using a task manager may make things worse. I don't know. That feature of the operating system may have to be properly written into the code by the programmer but it’s frequently not.

The apps that I have the most trouble with are the free ones. But a few built in apps (Care Home for one) lock up as well. I may start buying more apps and stay away from the “free” stuff. If someone has the nerve to charge me money then maybe they had the integrity and ability to fully test their application before releasing it to market. The old adage “you get what you pay for” seems appropriate here.

I have a problem with Verizon and Google selling the Android operating system as a commercial product when it is not. Whether it's the fault of the programmers not being skilled enough to write good code or it's the flaw of the operating system itself is irrelevant. Most apps are too buggy and I waste too much time simply getting my Droid to just plain work.

Sorry for the long-winded complaint, but I'm getting frustrated. I don't have trouble with my home-built PC running Vista. I shouldn't have trouble with a "smart" phone.

Paul

monsterpt

Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Are you rooted? How many apps do you have installed?

Android out of the box is a good competitor to the other operating systems, but with root access it can really be made into something exceptional. I have had the D1 rooted for a year and it looks and acts nothing like it did on day 1. From custom roms to custom themes and all the DF help there really is nothing that I have not found a way to do with this phone. Stick it out, get android savvy and I think you will like it.

Just my opinion, but I like to tinker w the phone as a way of unwinding after a long day ( sometimes before the day ends).

Sent from my Droid while not be productive.

Mikejl

Reaction score
Hello Paul,

You may have downloaded an app somewhere along the way that even though you uninstalled it my have left something behind causing you a few issues.

Your fix back to a stable droid may be as easy a factory reset. That will get you back to same state your droid was in when you first received.

You can do this by going clicking menu --> settings --> Privacy --> Factory Data Reset

If you do this you will need to save any data you have on your phone you can't afford to lose. Your contacts and apps sync automatically after you sign into your google account (gmail).

Mike

Last edited: