I really need help with my thunderbolt!

StacyDavison

Reaction score
My husband rooted my droid thunderbolt, and it has been fine. The normal phone update kept on popping up and he told me to reject it, so i have been, until this morning...my son pushed the button to update the phone. Well it restarted itself and then an error message with a little android man pops up. if i go into the recovery screen this is what i see

"failed to verify whole-file signatue"
"signature verification failed"
"installation aborted"

i clicked on the reboot system now tab, but all it does is start my phone, then my phone tries to update itself again and gets me right back to where i am. can anyone help me?? My husband is away with the AF and cant contact him :(

I am sorry if i didnt used the correct term either!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Give some background on what you know how to do that way I can instruct you based on where you are at. If you are just an average user who do not understand what recovery is then I will just break out some videos. If you know the basics I can skip to solving your issue.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;QjJcZ8weg88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJcZ8weg88]‪How to Install Custom Roms Onto The HTC Thunderbolt‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

follow that but only use method 3 at the 3:30 mark. Methods 1 and 2 has caused many issues. Doing it manually is the BEST WAY. The file you will down load is the one in the opening post on xda.

OP
S

StacyDavison

Reaction score
i tried to do the recovery, but there was no recovery point :(

OP
S

StacyDavison

Reaction score
okay i jsut watched the video, i understand it all, but i cant get to my phone home screen to even download anything...

OP
S

StacyDavison

Reaction score
oh and my husband said somethign about a gingerbread something or another?

I am SO SORRY !! I am not trying t osounds stupid, but i really am lost :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is he running a gingerbread rom on it. If so you should not get bugged unless he is telling you to put a gingerbread rom on it. Now you will not be getting updated to gingerbread. The update being pushed to your phone is just a Maintenance fix.

To get you up to speed. Android puts out an update every 6 months to a year. They code name them after desserts. 2.0 (donut), 2.1 (eclair), 2.2 (froyo), 2.3 (gingerbread).Now phone manufacturers also put out updates to fix what is broken in the operating system, this is a maintenance repair (mr). The thunderbolt was released with a lot of software issues particularly the rebooting issue. So HTC sent the repair to vzw so they could push it to your phone and that is what is bugging you. Now you do not want to accept the updates because updates will unroot yu and relock your bootloader. Since you are rooted and unlocked the only updates you want to put on your phone are updates that are made by developers.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You are currently on Froyo (2.2). Now rooted phones allow you many options and it also allow you to put your own operating system other than what is officially approved by verizon. There are some risk such as you can not go to vzw with that device rooted or you warranty will be voided. So if any issues arises you have to fix it yourself or return to stock unrooted. Now unlike any other vzw android device, the thunderbolt had so many issues that most people found that in order to resolve the issues you had to root and install different radios and roms.
I have a tutorial on what rooting is about .

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When it gets to the lil man hit menu...then go clear the dalvik cache and it will boot up....

Sele

T-Bolt RS Team Leader
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looks like the Capt, will get you squared away. Capt, gtalk me if you need any thing.

OP
S

StacyDavison

Reaction score
does this mean i will lose all of my apps?? is there any way that i can keep all of my apps AND get my phone working??

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Clearing the cache will not touch your apps. It will only clear the download

OP
S

StacyDavison

Reaction score
that is not an option once i hit menu after the little man :/ here is what i see:

-reboot system now
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-backup and restore
-mounts and storage
-advanced

Also, what download will it clear? i dont understand...does that mean i wont have any root access anymore?