I need to sell my S4

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sims are free from Verizon stores but not from the Verizon no name retailers.. I took the person's word for it.. but u can always ask for the esn and look it up.. I forgot the website that I used to check the esn for free in the past but u can look around Google for it.. u always wAnna make sure it's a reputable seller on any site with things they've sold in the past.. not just what they bought.. there's definitely a lot of time and effort that goes into finding the right seller with the right price

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
The problem with calling in a ESN is the seller can call as soon as you're out of sight and report the phone lose/stolen. There are shady people out there. At Verizon is always the best bet.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Some times some of the information isn't the easiest to find, (or you need a magnifying glass) Device Pedia will tell you EVERYTHING about the phone. even the SIM SN, the true name, IMEI, phone SN, Carrier, network type and much more. I now have it on all 3 of my phones.

jcoppola33

Reaction score
DO NOT USE SWAPPA OR ANY THING LIKE IT You will not get enough money from those. Anyone who says ebay isnt secure are idiots I have been using ebay for years and bought and sold many electronics and phones. When you buy message the person asking some basic questions like what the esn number is then have it checked by your carrier. Check their feedback if its 100% with 100 feedbacks your fine and read the description carefully. Paypal and ebay have blocks set up to prevent fraud, when I sell a phone I receive the money but paypal wont let me spend it until the item is received and the buyer gives the ok. Trust me ebay is perfectly safe as long as you are smart about it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Anyone who says ebay isnt secure are idiots.

Opinions are always appreciated here, but can we please try and keep those opinions friendly. Ebay of course can be fine when used correctly and caution is taken, people were just trying to give the OP information both ways.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some guidance, my wife came from an iphone to try the S4 and has decided she wants to switch back to Iphone, i know i know. But its outside the 14 day window. How should I go about getting this swapped? Sell S4 on ebay then buy white iphone 5 on ebay after that? Any guidance would be appreciated

Thanks!!
Sell it on eBay, if the phone looks new, you should be able to get at least $600-650, as long as you have the box with all the accessories. I have been using eBay for many years, have bought and sold, as long as they have anything over 98% positive feedback, they should be good, if you are selling make sure the transaction is done with PayPal. Do not ship product till money clears to your PayPal account.

On another note, why does she not like the S4, it is a fantastic phone, what does she not like about it.

Last edited:

jamjr74

Reaction score
Check your local Craigslist postings. I would bet there is someone looking to make the exact opposite swap. Meet at a Verizon store to verify the ESNs (and because it's a public place), then make the exchange. You can try getting some cash because the S4 is newer, but iPhones hold their value so might have to be a straight exchange.

Perfect answer Lars! I have swapped phones a few times over the years through Craigslist. You won't have an issue finding someone who will trade their iPhone 5 for her s4. Just make sure it's done at Verizon to protect you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jamjr74

Reaction score
Ebay works fine but their selling fees have gotten a bit high! You'll pay $50+ to sell ur s4. Swappa.com is free to sell and works well.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Where do you get the $50 fees from, my last sale cost me $0 fees.

Simple. Ebay charges 10% of the sale price as a fee! Plus if payment is made through PayPal another fee is charged. You can't sell for free on ebay!

Last edited:

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Is it on verizon? My wife just bought a iphone 5 a few months ago and wants to go back to andriod. The iphone is like new, as fast as my s4, has been in a protective case since new with a screen saver front and back.

Last edited:

TatDroid

Reaction score
A note about checking ESN's (this is more for BUYERS than sellers): It is much more helpful to check the ESN AFTER the phone has been deactivated. This means that the seller has already deactivated the phone and has (if necessary) activated another phone in its place so as not to trigger an early termination fee. If you check the ESN while the phone is still activated it WILL tell you that the phone is not stolen, but it WON'T tell you if the seller is about to deactivate their phone, sell it to you, and then abandon their account - which will then cause the ESN to go bad and your phone will soon be shut down by the carrier...

I would never purchase a used phone that was still activated on an account when I had the ESN number checked.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
A note about checking ESN's (this is more for BUYERS than sellers): It is much more helpful to check the ESN AFTER the phone has been deactivated. This means that the seller has already deactivated the phone and has (if necessary) activated another phone in its place so as not to trigger an early termination fee. If you check the ESN while the phone is still activated it WILL tell you that the phone is not stolen, but it WON'T tell you if the seller is about to deactivate their phone, sell it to you, and then abandon their account - which will then cause the ESN to go bad and your phone will soon be shut down by the carrier...

I would never purchase a used phone that was still activated on an account when I had the ESN number checked.

This ^^^ is GREAT advice, and I don't think I've seen it said quite this way before. Thank you, TatDroid for some most invaluable information which can prevent a purchase nightmare. :hail:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where do you get the $50 fees from, my last sale cost me $0 fees.

I would like to know how you did this! :) I've only sold on Ebay a few times, but it's always cost me a roughly 10% haircut off of what I sell, so even if I received more than I would've on Swappa or Craigslist, it ended up being close to a wash after the fees.