I need some help! :)

Tdnelso

Reaction score
Hi! I've just purchased my first Droid yesterday and I can't get it to work. The previous owner rooted it. When I tried to restore it to factory settings, in order to delete his gmail account, it crashed. When I go through the setup process and get to the part where I sync with my gmail account, it force closes everything. I can't get past this. Does anyone have any suggestions or know what I should do?dancedroid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've just purchased my first Droid yesterday and I can't get it to work. The previous owner rooted it. When I tried to restore it to factory settings, in order to delete his gmail account, it crashed. When I go through the setup process and get to the part where I sync with my gmail account, it force closes everything. I can't get past this. Does anyone have any suggestions or know what I should do?dancedroid

Usually the owner of the phone deletes his gmail account. Nobody leaves it on there. Who was this previous owner? Is he a friend or somebody from Craig's list or ebay?

You've got to have that gmail account removed or you can't use the Droid. And the previous owner has to do that.

OP
T

Tdnelso

Reaction score
Force closing

The previous owner was selling it from craig's list. He left his account on there because he said I wouldn't be able to do anyhting with it til I set up my own account. He asked that I delete it once I had my own. In order to delete it, the phone said I had to reset it to factory settings. Once I did that, it locked up. It takes me through the setup process but when I try to sync my account, it force closes everything.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The previous owner was selling it from craig's list. He left his account on there because he said I wouldn't be able to do anyhting with it til I set up my own account. He asked that I delete it once I had my own. In order to delete it, the phone said I had to reset it to factory settings. Once I did that, it locked up. It takes me through the setup process but when I try to sync my account, it force closes everything.

That's nonsense. He could have done that. Call Verizon and tell them what's going on. They will check the ESN to see if it's a good phone.

OP
T

Tdnelso

Reaction score
:(

I already called Verizon. Because he rooted it, they can't help and it voided the warranty. Thanks for trying to help. Guess I'm just out of luck and some $$$:icon_eek:

iverjohnson

Reaction score
Why not just re-root it? Search these forums for how to load a custom recovery then wipe all data and load a custom rom. Once you've done all that you should have no problem starting with a fresh account.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

adsfa34

Reaction score
As long as the ESN is good (not reported stolen or lost) then it sounds like this person just had no idea what he was doing rooting, and probably screwed something up.

When you shut the phone off, boot back up holding power + x. What do you see? A triangle / exclamation mark and an android guy or something else? (I'm trying to figure out if you've got a custom recovery, which would be convenient).

If it says "ClockworkMod Recovery ..." or "SPRecovery ..." then you've got a custom recovery and you're not out of luck yet.

If that's the case, you can unroot (if it's still rooted, or keep it rooted :)) in a few simple steps. :)

Don't lose hope! We're pretty good at getting people back from much worse than a few force closes here and there!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why not just re-root it? Search these forums for how to load a custom recovery then wipe all data and load a custom rom. Once you've done all that you should have no problem starting with a fresh account.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

What you probably need to do is sbf that phone back to stock. Once you do that you should be free and clear to use it.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As long as the ESN is good (not reported stolen or lost) then it sounds like this person just had no idea what he was doing rooting, and probably screwed something up.

When you shut the phone off, boot back up holding power + x. What do you see? A triangle / exclamation mark and an android guy or something else? (I'm trying to figure out if you've got a custom recovery, which would be convenient).

If it says "ClockworkMod Recovery ..." or "SPRecovery ..." then you've got a custom recovery and you're not out of luck yet.

If that's the case, you can unroot (if it's still rooted, or keep it rooted :)) in a few simple steps. :)

Don't lose hope! We're pretty good at getting people back from much worse than a few force closes here and there!

That's the spirt, I'd like to know the answers to these questions as well.

OP...Don't worry, I'm sure we can fix it! Just need some more info.

What you probably need to do is sbf that phone back to stock. Once you do that you should be free and clear to use it.

This is one option that probably would work, link 4 in my sig is another.:)

adsfa34

Reaction score

+1 that's definitely the most reliable method to get back to stock...

I was gonna suggest the FRG83D Master OTA that will un-root you and replace whatever recovery with a stock recovery, but .sbf will always get the job done. There's no telling what he screwed up. There's a chance that flashing the master ota update from recovery could get you fixed, but there's a chance it might not.

Another note: The 2.2.1 (FRG83D) Master OTA update would *also* install if you had a stock recovery... imo it's worth a shot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this person realizes there are about 5 people waiting to help.

Less than an hour from original post. Great response time!

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

adsfa34

Reaction score

This is one option that probably would work, link 4 in my sig is another.:)

+1 :) Yeah that's what I was suggesting too (link 4 in your sig). I would hate to push a n00b straight into RSDLite territory and have them brick their phone when the master ota is definitely worth a shot, much less finicky / risky imo.

They don't call it "the unbrickable droid" for nothin!

OP
T

Tdnelso

Reaction score
A gleem of hope! :)

It says ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1

OP
T

Tdnelso

Reaction score
My choices are:
Reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sd card
nandroid
partitions menu
advanced

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Options!

OOK! ;)

What you want to select is the two wipe options. use the D-Pad to select wipe cache first and press the center button (GOLD?), then select the wipe data/factory reset. This should bring you back to working. if not send a message and we can wal you through how to get it back to factory for you! :) Also would be helpfull if you need help further with what kind of droid it is please.

Good LUCK!