I need help getting GingerBread on my Droid 2 please.

mgarney26

Reaction score
First off let me start out by saying i am a newbie at doing this. i attempted rooting and installing gingerbread once before, bricked my phone, couldnt figure out how to un-brick it, and payed a guy who owns his own cell phone shop here in my town 60 bucks to get it back to factory. I gave my wife my phone for her to bring to her electronics professor at her college last night and now have a rooted droid 2, however she forgot to ask him to install gingerbread to it. my question is how do i do this now that i'm rooted? any advice would be appreciated. thanks for your time and i look forward to joining my fellow droiders with gingerbread.

Insidious

Reaction score
Okay there are 3 apps that you will want.
Titanium backup (free is fine)
Droid 2 bootstrapper (its like 2 dollars on the market but the developer gives it away on his website. I reccomend just searching D2 bootstrapper .apk)
ROM manager. You can back up your current rom, and do a bunch of other fun stuff like installing gingerbread based DROID 2 Roms.

Once you have titanium back up go to it and hit the menu key, click batch, and back up all system and user apps.
Make sure you have the correct .zip rom file. There are a few, I used the 2.3.20 monster file when I had a D2. Once your apps are backed up go to rom manager and hit backup rom. Once its done hit reboot now and go to the D2 bootstrapper app. hit the top option (I think it says bootstrap recovery) it should say success and you hit okay. Than hit the bottom option (I think it says reboot recovery) once your phone turns off hold the power button and after the white 'M' logo you will be in recovery. Using the volume keys to scroll up and down, the camera key to select, the power key to go back, go down to wipe data/factory reset. Hit yes and then go back and scroll down to advanced and clear the dalvik cache and battery stats. Go back and go to install .zip from sd card. Hit install .zip (not update .zip) and scroll down to where you placed the rom file. If you didn't place it anywhere I should be in your download folder (which is where I always store mine) and select it. click yes and it usually takes about 5-10 minutes to flash. When youre done go to reboot system not and it might bootloop on the DROID animation for a little while but don't worry. It takes a little longer to boot when you first flash it. It should take at most 5 minutes. After that set it up and activate like you would a normal phone! :)

Sent from my now completely stock DROID2 Global :(

OP
mgarney26

mgarney26

Reaction score
ok one more potential dillema i want to make sure i can move the files from my computer to my sd card ( im sure this is something i halve to do based on your instructions) how do i do this? and thanks alot for your help. also im pretty sure i dont have a custom rom on it as i havent done anything to it since last night.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's telling you to download the zip from inside ROM Manager, which is on your phone.

If you need to copy files to/from your computer, you should connect it using the USB cable provided and select from the Notification bar on your phone, "Enable USB transfer" (or the like). Your phones SDCard will now show up as a drive letter on your PC.

Insidious

Reaction score
Its not completely necessary to move the .zip from your computer to your phone. (I may have read your response wrong) but if you go to menu>applications>unknown sources and check the box you can download .zip and .apk files to your phone. If it says content is not supported on your phone after a download attempt try the free app called "download all files" no configuration required, it will allow you to download it.

OP
mgarney26

mgarney26

Reaction score
ok so the monster.2.3.20.zip file i can download straight from my phone correct? is there anything i should have to move from my computer?

Insidious

Reaction score
The reason is because I don't think its available through rom manager because it is a leak from Team Black Hat.

OP
mgarney26

mgarney26

Reaction score
ok let me get this straight and im sorry for all the confusion. do i need to go to a website first and download the .zip file? or do i do the instructions in the same order as was written ...also i have the free version of rom manager. is that going to work correctly?

Insidious

Reaction score
Scroll down to toggle script asserts and toggle script verification (I think that's what they're called) and hit select on both of them so they're disabled.

Insidious

Reaction score
Sorry its signature verification and script asserts. Just checked :b