I miss the OG droid days... But I'm back

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
Years ago when I bought my og droid, I'll never forget my days as a crack-flasher. I was on the Root-Ed app everyday and I wonder if b-boy and FoxKat and the other regulars are still out there? I quit worrying about making my phone faster when we got spoiled with quad core processors and multiple gigs of RAM. Yesterday, I ordered a Droid 2 and I hope I have half as much fun with it as I did with my OG. Maybe I'll even get a Gnex. I didn't have one back then and it had the most developer support I've ever seen. I missed the fun back then but now I can afford any of the old school ones I want!

First, can anyone suggest a forum/subforum where I might find like minded people that miss the glory days and still tinker with making new software for old hardware?

Second, I ordered a SIM adapter so I could use my Turbo SIM in the D2, but.... today I realized it won't have a SIM slot since it's not a global. Is there anything I need to know? Will it be simple to activate the new device on my Verizon page?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Present and accounted for! Thanks for the shout out!

Verizon will activate it no sweat. It will be the old fashioned way (*228 send).

Also, I have a D2G and it's the same software as the D2. A buddy borrowed it from me to create a current version of one of the OSs, I'll get back to you on it.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score

Verizon will activate it no sweat. It will be the old fashioned way (*228 send).
Wow! Cool! Idk what else to say.... But very cool!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Re-read last post!

OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score

What ever happened to Root-ed shoutbox? I downloaded it but it didn't work anymore

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'll check on the other question for you as well. We may have a new life for that great piece of hardware yet!

OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
I'll check on the other question for you as well. We may have a new life for that great piece of hardware yet!

Awesome!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you ever get the itch to rom/mod again grab a nexus (ie nexus 5 or 5x if you trying to save some cash).

OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
If you ever get the itch to rom/mod again grab a nexus (ie nexus 5 or 5x if you trying to save some cash).
The reason I used to flash and overclock and customize was because with a 600 MHz processor and 256k of RAM it was necessary to make it run better. Lately, although I love my Turbo, I was holding my old Droid in my hand like damn I miss this thing. The weight of it, the style, the keyboard, the click when you slide it open, the quality, all the hacking to get squeeze out every horsepower... The excitement of the development community when we found new ways to squeeze out more power with Chevy's kernels and stripped down ROMS... Maybe it will be more fun to have an old super cool phone with a full slide out keyboard if I can get the 1 gig D2 processor running good enough with that half gig of RAM.... Than use my Turbo all the time which is smokin fast out the box. What makes you suggest the Nexus 5? Was the development community especially strong with that phone?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I still have my nexus 5 and nexus 6. The nexus 5 you can snag cheap and performs very well for its age. My daily driver is my marshmallow-less note 5 (shakes fist at AT&T) because it is an awesome work phone. The Nexus 5 development is strong and will provide that feeling of nostalgia for crackflashers who have grown up yet still want to play from time to time without compromising our daily drivers or breaking our wallets.

OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
I still have my nexus 5 and nexus 6. The nexus 5 you can snag cheap and performs very well for its age. My daily driver is my marshmallow-less note 5 (shakes fist at AT&T) because it is an awesome work phone. The Nexus 5 development is strong and will provide that feeling of nostalgia for crackflashers who have grown up yet still want to play from time to time without compromising our daily drivers or breaking our wallets.
Cool deal- thanks for the idea. I wish it was possible to upgrade hardware. I'd give me og droid some more RAM and a better processor...upgrade the physical keyboard... I don't even mind that it's so small. It's absolutely my favorite device ever.

Oh, and I'd add LTE.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The excitement of the development community when we found new ways to squeeze out more power with Chevy's kernels and stripped down ROMS...

And of course who but Chevy would STILL be supporting ROMs for that phone? I'm almost positive it was Chevy who borrowed my D2G a few months or more ago to build a new ROM. He's still out there. I should know more tomorrow.

OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
I received me D2 in the mail today! I rooted and now I'm trying to get it overclocked and get a custom recovery going

Update: I'm finding it kinda hard to find working links to D2 Roms.

Last edited:
OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
I also didn't realize that the current base version of Android determined which Roms I could flashed. I thought once I was rooted I could wipe everything and install anything. CM is aborting because it wants me to be on the gingerbread OTA (the phone came with froyo). The phone wants to update to gingerbread but now that I rooted froyo the OTA keeps failing.

I guess I gotta find a Rom that runs over froyo or I gotta sbf back to stock and get the official gingerbread update.

It's hard to find any working links to download D2 Roms. The only one I was successful with so far was downloading CM and you see how that turned out.

I started a thread over in the Droid 2 sub forum with my request for some knowledge transfer.

Last edited: