I miss the "Charge Only" option!

eagle923

Reaction score
So I installed the ICS leak which runs great on the Razr. After coming from a Nexus, I missed ICS and some of the great additions. BUUUUTTTT.... I loved the "Charge Only" option that I had on Gingerblur. I enjoyed that I could plug into my computer to charge it up while listening to podcasts on Doggcatcher or whatever.

Anyone else miss this feature? Is it still present that I'm missing?

eidian

Reaction score
I was thinking, "...what are you talking about you goof? I'll take some screen captures and show you what's up..."

Looks like I'm the one who's the goof. At first it annoyed me but I realized quickly that for me, I connect to the PC only when I'm transferring files so this is actually cool. But I can see how it would be a PITA for you.

I'll be watching this thread to see if there's a way to change this. Good catch.

Running rooted ICS

OP
eagle923

eagle923

Reaction score
Haha! I didn't notice while on vacation last week either, so I'm guessing most won't miss it. But at work I typically plug it in and listen to a podcast while eating lunch. Get a little multi-tasking in : charge phone, expand the mind and fill the belly.

So much to my chagrin, I plugged it in today and my podcast hung :blink:

I'm not sure if that is a Moto-blur feature that actually was useful or a 2.3.6 feature that got lost in the 4.0 transition.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Well it isn't final yet, so they could still put it in.

I would miss it personally. I used it if I USB tethered.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So I installed the ICS leak which runs great on the Razr. After coming from a Nexus, I missed ICS and some of the great additions. BUUUUTTTT.... I loved the "Charge Only" option that I had on Gingerblur. I enjoyed that I could plug into my computer to charge it up while listening to podcasts on Doggcatcher or whatever.

Anyone else miss this feature? Is it still present that I'm missing?
Are you using the USB cable that came with your phone? If not the issue could be the cable. Not all USB cables work in the same manner as the Motorola provided USB cable...has to do with the manufacturing process/specifications for number of pins.

eidian

Reaction score
Are you using the USB cable that came with your phone? If not the issue could be the cable. Not all USB cables work in the same manner as the Motorola provided USB cable...has to do with the manufacturing process/specifications for number of pins.

I used my BlackBerry cable when I first posted and I just tested with my Motorola cable, same results.

Running rooted ICS

OP
eagle923

eagle923

Reaction score
Not sure how the cable would affect the options upon plugging in the phone. But same as eidian, I tried a few. The phone charges fine and works with any cable, but there used to be an option under the stock configuration of "Charge Only" that didn't mount your SD card. Allowing you to use the phone as normal while charging via PC USB.

Hopefully its something that isn't in the leaked version due to it being incomplete. It isn't a deal breaking feature, it was just a nice thing to have.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Not sure how the cable would affect the options upon plugging in the phone. But same as eidian, I tried a few. The phone charges fine and works with any cable, but there used to be an option under the stock configuration of "Charge Only" that didn't mount your SD card. Allowing you to use the phone as normal while charging via PC USB.

Hopefully its something that isn't in the leaked version due to it being incomplete. It isn't a deal breaking feature, it was just a nice thing to have.
Yeah I understand what you're saying. Just a few days ago someone was reporting that all they could get was the "charge only" option and it turned out they were using a USB cable from some other phone. When they switched cables to the Motorola provided cable everything worked fine (mass storage etc). Just thought I'd check. Yes, they certainly need to get that fixed in the official release of ICS...hopefully.

OP
eagle923

eagle923

Reaction score
Ah ok. I get all the options I got on my Nexus (which had 4.03 on it as well):

Mass Storage, Media device (MTP), Camera (PTP). Here's to hoping for that quite handy charging option!

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
what ICS leak do you have that works

Everyone I tried is flawed

none of mobile data or camera

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

eidian

Reaction score

Yeah, if that is one of a short list of differences between versions, I won't bother reverting to get the "official" release.

Running rooted ICS

eidian

Reaction score

There is a thread here announcing the leak. I think smalltowngirl was the person who posted a link and described the site as being a sister forum. Harleydude is the person who started the thread over there. I don't remember the name of the other forum.

Running rooted ICS

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

There are a couple out there. This link Ics Anyone? I Haz It 4 Yew. - DroidRzr.com will take you to one that many users are having great success with, to include a lot of users on this forum. CAUTION: The OP of the link I just gave you makes it perfectly clear, you must follow his instruction to a "T". If you don"t, you'll either be unsuccessful getting it to flash or you will an install with issues. Hope this helps.

OP
eagle923

eagle923

Reaction score
Google "Razr ICS leak no cheesecake" and it'll come right up. OP is named Harleydude. It is the first thread, and as JPCalhoun said, follow the directions EXACTLY and it works perfectly. You have to disable safestrap to do it, so you won't have a backup except for using Matt's utility to reset to 2.3.6.