I may sound like a idiot? Is rooting and hacking the same?

Tloc107

Reaction score
Is rooting and hacking the same? I am new to this and have never done this. However I think it is time because I am sick and tired of all these factory apps I don't use that are always running that are killing my battery. Are there any factory apps that are linked together where if you delete one the other wont work? Are there any factory apps I don't want to delete because it may hinder the ability or performance of the Bionic? Thanks in advance

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not an idiotic question as none of us were born knowing all this junk. We just started reading about it before you did. When I decided in December of 2009 that I wanted to root and install custom roms on my Droid, I read very thing on this and other Android forums that I could. When I was positive that I totally understood what I would be doing, I went for it and have never looked back. I would suggest that you go to the Bionic section and read everything there. Ask questions when you don't understand or need clarification and have fun!! This is a fun little hobby/compulsion!!

OP
T

Tloc107

Reaction score
Here I go again. What is flashing someones rom do? I don't want the books app,amazon kindle, city id, citrix, dlna, email, gotomeeting, im, lets golf 2, mobile hotspot, my verizon mobile, nfl mobile, news, social networking, talk, vcast media, vcast music, vcast tones, vcast videos, vz navigator. I think I want to dump all of these but not entirely sure what they all do and wondering if I may miss any of them? Anybody think any of these are useful and I should keep them? If so why and which ones and what do they do etc? Would any of these be bad to remove? Can you put them back on if you remove them? Would dumping all these save battery life being a lot of these are running off and on throughout the day. Anybody do this yet and if so does battery last longer etc. Thanks soooo much!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^First go read the how to root the Bionic directions and see if you have any questions. Let's start with the fundamentals!

pastor_rob

Reaction score
I am in the same boat ... except I am rooted already ... and have superuser and TB already installed. Root check says all is a go.

Now how do I get rid of the bloatware he has mentioned above???

Thanks in advance!!!

Peace

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am in the same boat ... except I am rooted already ... and have superuser and TB already installed. Root check says all is a go.

Now how do I get rid of the bloatware he has mentioned above???

Thanks in advance!!!

Peace

First off, I would strongly recommend that you not delete any apps. Freeze them with Titanium and then they can be unfrozen if unforeseen circumstances develop. Here's the list I started with before I installed UNl3ash3d rom:

LIST OF SAFELY FREEZE-ABLE BIONIC BLOATWARE:WARNING: Once frozen, you cannot use these apps or their related services. You'll have to unfreeze them.
Backup Assistant 2.3.4
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.7
GoToMeeting 1.0
Guided Tours 2.3.4
Help Center 2.3.4
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.38
News 2.3.4
Slacker 3.0.535
Social Location 2.0* [do not disable if you use any of the Social widgets or other Motorola social tools]
Social Messaging 2.3.4*
Social Networking 2.3.4*
Social Status 2.3.4*
Sticky note 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685
Tasks 1.0
V CAST Media Manager 4.4.1.0
V CAST Music 03.72.110
V CAST Tones 4.5.11
V CAST Videos 5.72.008
VideoSurf 1.0.10
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353

pastor_rob

Reaction score
First off, I would strongly recommend that you not delete any apps. Freeze them with Titanium and then they can be unfrozen if unforeseen circumstances develop. Here's the list I started with before I installed UNl3ash3d rom:

LIST OF SAFELY FREEZE-ABLE BIONIC BLOATWARE:WARNING: Once frozen, you cannot use these apps or their related services. You'll have to unfreeze them.
Backup Assistant 2.3.4
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.7
GoToMeeting 1.0
Guided Tours 2.3.4
Help Center 2.3.4
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.38
News 2.3.4
Slacker 3.0.535
Social Location 2.0* [do not disable if you use any of the Social widgets or other Motorola social tools]
SocialMessaging 2.3.4*
Social Networking 2.3.4*
Social Status 2.3.4*
Sticky note 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685
Tasks 1.0
V CAST Media Manager 4.4.1.0
V CAST Music 03.72.110
V CAST Tones 4.5.11
V CAST Videos 5.72.008
VideoSurf 1.0.10
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353

I have frozen the apps you mention above ... now how do I add the UNl3ash3d rom ... I have heard great things about it!!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

dags5000

Reaction score
Flashing the different rom will overwrite the entire system partition so if that is what you want there is no need to freeze apps on the stock rom first. You should do a full android backup or equivalent of your working stock state and then you flash the new rom. The instructions for flashing are in the unleashed rom post.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums